Planning a route from Poland to Ancona (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I know the obvious way would be through Slowakia( just a vignette), but then Austria, where the Go-Box application and refund process seems a nightmare.

A simpler, if slightly longer, route seems to be through Germany then to cross Austria near Innsbruck, then either use the Brenner Pass off Autobahn, or pay for the Brenner Pass M/Way.

Does anyone have suggestions for route from Munchen to Brenner Pass non-toll?

Next queston is how much time does one save taking the Brenner Pass Toll compared with the old Pass road over the top?

For the Brenner Pass M/way, which I understand can be paid for at a toll booth without a Go-Box, I can only find a reference to Toll Rates for Cars, but nothing for MHs over 3.5t. Is it the case that there is only one tariff for all vehicles? That tariff shows Innsbruck- Border €10 and in Italy €6.60 which would seem reasonable, but sounds a bit cheap for > 3.5t.

I know Austria and Switzerland have weighing machines at border crossings. Do the Austrians have them at the Brenner Tolls?

Thanks for expert advice in advance.

Geoff

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
There is a 3rd option, via Bucharest.
Depending on where in Poland you are starting from, it may even be faster.
Certainly saves mucking about with Vignettes and Go-Boxes

Not that I have done it, but it is possible to cross Austria without a Go-Box, as if you are over 3.5t they are only needed on motorways and some dual carriageways.
Even where you cross into Austria on a motorway, as long as you exit at the first opportunity and go onto the main roads, then no Go-Box is required.
BUT you need a damn good navigator to ensure you don't accidently end up on a go-box road by accident.

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
I seem to remember that Lenny HB had a route avoiding tolls for his over 3.5T van across Austria (Tyrol I think). This thread I think:

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Without going into Austria, there is: Poland,Hungary, Croatia, Slovenia and then into north of Italy.
Another option: from Croatia into Monte Nergo, then ferry from Bar to Bari.
Or, Hungary, Romania,Bulgaria, Greece, then ferry from Patra to Ancona.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Poland - Bucharest - Ancona Interesting?

Which have you got upside down - the map or Brains?

Sorry had to ask.
As I said, it depends on where in Poland you start from:

Warsaw/Vienna/Ancona 1,585km/17h16m with a Go-Box
Warsaw/Bucharest/Ancona 1,763km/19h45m no Go-Box

Not a lot of difference in time/distance, and probably cheaper and less hassle via Bucharest, also no major Alpine Passes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
N
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
As I said, it depends on where in Poland you start from:

Warsaw/Vienna/Ancona 1,585km/17h16m with a Go-Box
Warsaw/Bucharest/Ancona 1,763km/19h45m no Go-Box

Not a lot of difference in time/distance, and probably cheaper and less hassle via Bucharest, also no major Alpine Passes.

Well I have just entered Warsaw-Bucharest-Ancona and get 2687km

Are you sure you are not mixing up Bucharest in Romania(quite close to the Black sea) with Budapest in Hungary?

We are actually starting from Katowice in the SW of Poland.

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back