Planning 2023 Tour (1 Viewer)

Dec 10, 2019
South West
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Starting to plan a tour for next year not been on an extended holiday (or at all ) in the van over the water before. We would like to travel down to Croatia from Calais then back up to the Italian lakes, France then home via Roscoff.

Is this doable over 8 weeks giving enough time to see the local areas.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I went to Croatia straight there and back and it ended all to soon at 10 weeks… 😎

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Some years ago we did a similar trip. We hurried to Switzerland, then slowed down to spend about 3 weeks in the Italian Lakes and Venice. We had a week in Croatia but we didn’t go too far south, mainly Pula, Kirk and the Plitvice Lakes. On the way back we still had time to call into Lake Bled and Saltzburg. Just over 6 weeks and 3300 miles.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2020
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globetrott
Exp
This summer we travelled down to Croatia and Bosnia Herzegovina, via France Germany, Slovenia. We were there 16 weeks and it ended all to soo for us too!!

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Hi PB2019 I used to write ‘Post It Stories’ on the CAMC forum some years ago, but no longer do as they lost all my photos & failed to recover them.

When we were touring anywhere I would write a fairly large account of each campsite, the journey there etc. The stories are still there for anyone to read online minus the photos.

We visited Croatia for the first time in 2015 and I have a full text word document of all the 8 weeks, which would give you some idea of what it is like and the route we took. We were in a fairly large Motorhome weighing 4t so tolls and route were appertaining to that weight. There is a round up of the tour at the end which you may find useful.

We’ve also done it via Italy but I had stopped writing by then, so nothing to send you.

I’ve never done this before so will try to attach the document below. If it does not appear and would like a copy then please send me a PM with your email address and I shall reply with a Word document attached. If you can’t view them I could always convert it to pdf for you.

Whatever you decide enjoy it, we think it is a fantastic place to visit 😊

Attachments

• Post It stories 2015 April Croatia (2018_10_29 10_55_37 UTC).docx
    82.3 KB · Views: 448
Last edited:
OP
OP
P
Dec 10, 2019
South West
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Hi PB2019 I used to write ‘Post It Stories’ on the CAMC forum some years ago, but no longer do as they lost all my photos & failed to recover them.

When we were touring anywhere I would write a fairly large account of each campsite, the journey there etc. The stories are still there for anyone to read online minus the photos.

We visited Croatia for the first time in 2015 and I have a full text word document of all the 8 weeks, which would give you some idea of what it is like and the route we took. We were in a fairly large Motorhome weighing 4t so tolls and route were appertaining to that weight. There is a round up of the tour at the end which you may find useful.

We’ve also done it via Italy but I had stopped writing by then, so nothing to send you.

I’ve never done this before so will try to attach the document below. If it does not appear and would like a copy then please send me a PM with your email address and I shall reply with a Word document attached. If you can’t view them I could always convert it to pdf for you.

Whatever you decide enjoy it, we think it is a fantastic place to visit 😊

Hi royandsharont​

Thank you for taking the time to reply, I have been able tho download the attachment and look forward to reading it with interest.

Nov 27, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
My advise, for what it is worth is, don't make to many plans. Book your crossing and take everything else as it comes. If you find somewhere you like stay a day or two, if not, move on.
Pre covid we had an eight week holiday, made it as far East as Prague, then down into Austria, Italian Lakes, across the South of France and into Spain. 4500 miles in total.
Your plan is easily possible in 8 weeks but as said be flexible and enjoy the trip as much as any destination reached.

OP
OP
P
Dec 10, 2019
South West
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Thank you for all your replies, it’s has been a great help I think it’s all about confidence. I have read a number of threads on here that are very informative.

Jul 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7086f
Exp
Agree with LennyHB if you are retired no planning required Definitely have a few ideas then of you go And yes it is doable done it Six years ago the only reason we returned a little bit early Was the increasing hospital appointments we seem to get after retirement :rolleyes: Go for that's a great trip

OP
OP
P
Dec 10, 2019
South West
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Agree with LennyHB if you are retired no planning required Definitely have a few ideas then of you go And yes it is doable done it Six years ago the only reason we returned a little bit early Was the increasing hospital appointments we seem to get after retirement :rolleyes: Go for that's a great trip
Thank you bowhouse2. Yes we are starting to get a few ideas together then will do as LennyHB and yourself say we will just go for it a see where it takes us. Really looking forward to it.

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
We did it in 2011, our first time ever abroad. Planned in meticulous detail, though we needn't have bothered. Our leisurely journey was seven weeks.
Ferry to Calais, Cologne, Nuremburg, Spital in Austria, Zagreb, Stobrec near Split, overnight Slovenia, Venice, Lake Garda, Montreau in Switzerland, Luxembourg then back via ferry again.
We never rushed round, saw loads of things and places on the way and, we were towing an 8.25m caravan with a Ford Mondeo. Total cost then was £3.750, including fuel, site fees, food, etc. Probably over double that now. We only ate out once so made all our meals from local shopping. The whole journey was faultless and , have done many since.

OP
OP
P
Dec 10, 2019
South West
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We did it in 2011, our first time ever abroad. Planned in meticulous detail, though we needn't have bothered. Our leisurely journey was seven weeks.
Ferry to Calais, Cologne, Nuremburg, Spital in Austria, Zagreb, Stobrec near Split, overnight Slovenia, Venice, Lake Garda, Montreau in Switzerland, Luxembourg then back via ferry again.
We never rushed round, saw loads of things and places on the way and, we were towing an 8.25m caravan with a Ford Mondeo. Total cost then was £3.750, including fuel, site fees, food, etc. Probably over double that now. We only ate out once so made all our meals from local shopping. The whole journey was faultless and , have done many since.
Thank you JaG

Your itinerary is similar to what I have been looking at.

Interesting that it was your first time abroad as it will be ours as well.

Reactions: JaG

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
Thank you JaG

Your itinerary is similar to what I have been looking at.

Interesting that it was your first time abroad as it will be ours as well.
You will love it. If you PM me your email I will send you our 71 page book of the whole journey with stops overs, sites, and account of. It is PDF format.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
You will love it. If you PM me your email I will send you our 71 page book of the whole journey with stops overs, sites, and account of. It is PDF format.
Would you mind sending me a copy as well? In the process of planning. 😊

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
We did the run to camping skrila, Stara Baska on KRK (stayed there 6 nights) and back in 3 weeks (still working for a living) 🤷‍♂️
8 weeks would be an absolute luxury👍😁

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Didn't get as far as Croatia as our destination was the Italian Lakes. Tunnel to France, up through the Frejus tunnel to Italy spent about 4 weeks there touring then back through Switzerland and France,, have a great time and just go with the flow.

slatterypat

Free Member
Nov 2, 2022
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC A
Exp
Since 2019
That’s a lovely offer to share your hard work and plans.
I wouldn’t mind a read of that if I wasn’t asking too much

Reactions: JaG

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
That’s a lovely offer to share your hard work and plans.
I wouldn’t mind a read of that if I wasn’t asking too much
Yes of course. If you PM me your email, if you have not already, and I will send you a copy.
The places we covered, things we saw are worth sharing for others to enjoy too.

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
I will email it to you this afternoon.
Hope it helps
Graham & Jean

May 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Legend
Starting to plan a tour for next year not been on an extended holiday (or at all ) in the van over the water before. We would like to travel down to Croatia from Calais then back up to the Italian lakes, France then home via Roscoff.

Is this doable over 8 weeks giving enough time to see the local areas.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I drove down to Switzerland across to Slovakia then Hungary (Budapest for a day), Bosnia and into Croatia. Toured Croatia then into Slovenia and back to Calais. Did that in just under 3 weeks.
Just saying, most things can be done in a short time, but all trips are better with more time.

Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
Europe & USA since April '21
We came back from our 8 week trip to Croatia and back only two weeks ago. We went Eurotunnel, France, Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, Italy and France. Going into Italy we went via Mont Blanc tunnel, which was very busy, because of an accident and it took us an hour and a half waiting in a slow moving queue, before we got to the toll booth.

Our trip consisted of nothing pre-booked. We just turned up everywhere. We stayed in a mix of French Passion (FP), Campsites(C), Aires(A) and Park for night freebies(P4). Some amazing, some (well one in particular) quite crap. Click on the avatar and find our media list. Where you'll see photos of our trip. Here's a list of our stops/visits to give you an idea of direction:

Canterbury Park and Ride Blancs Coteaux(FP) Mensil Saint Pere(C) Beaune(A) Annecy(C) Lesa, Maggiore(C) Palmanova(P4) Ljubljana(A) Rakitje(A) Zagreb(C) Rovinj(C) Pula Catrnja(C) Zadar(C) Omis(C) Split(C) Bol Trogir Stobrec Dubrovnik(C) Ferry to Bari Alberobello(A) Otranto(C) Torre Vado(P4) Lecce(A) Porto Cesareo(P4) Punta Prosciutto(P4) Matera(A not the sardine tin one on the main road, the one before in the middle of a racetrack!) Gravina Assisi(C) Perugia Florence(P4) Lucca(C) Modena(P4) Rapallo(C) Ventimiglia(C) Sanary Sur Mer(C) Chablis(FP) Arras(A)

The trip was about 4800miles. In addition we rode around 1000 miles on the Vespa, we spent 97hrs in total driving, at an average speed of 48mph. So the Garmin tells us.

One interesting bit of info. We have 'MetaTrak' tracker and can go into the menu, where it lists each journey and plots it on a map. Just in case we want to repeat any trip in future. So far it has every journey we've made in Elsie, during the last 18 months.

Have a great trip next year.

OP
OP
P
Dec 10, 2019
South West
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We came back from our 8 week trip to Croatia and back only two weeks ago. We went Eurotunnel, France, Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, Italy and France. Going into Italy we went via Mont Blanc tunnel, which was very busy, because of an accident and it took us an hour and a half waiting in a slow moving queue, before we got to the toll booth.

Our trip consisted of nothing pre-booked. We just turned up everywhere. We stayed in a mix of French Passion (FP), Campsites(C), Aires(A) and Park for night freebies(P4). Some amazing, some (well one in particular) quite crap. Click on the avatar and find our media list. Where you'll see photos of our trip. Here's a list of our stops/visits to give you an idea of direction:

Canterbury Park and Ride Blancs Coteaux(FP) Mensil Saint Pere(C) Beaune(A) Annecy(C) Lesa, Maggiore(C) Palmanova(P4) Ljubljana(A) Rakitje(A) Zagreb(C) Rovinj(C) Pula Catrnja(C) Zadar(C) Omis(C) Split(C) Bol Trogir Stobrec Dubrovnik(C) Ferry to Bari Alberobello(A) Otranto(C) Torre Vado(P4) Lecce(A) Porto Cesareo(P4) Punta Prosciutto(P4) Matera(A not the sardine tin one on the main road, the one before in the middle of a racetrack!) Gravina Assisi(C) Perugia Florence(P4) Lucca(C) Modena(P4) Rapallo(C) Ventimiglia(C) Sanary Sur Mer(C) Chablis(FP) Arras(A)

The trip was about 4800miles. In addition we rode around 1000 miles on the Vespa, we spent 97hrs in total driving, at an average speed of 48mph. So the Garmin tells us.

One interesting bit of info. We have 'MetaTrak' tracker and can go into the menu, where it lists each journey and plots it on a map. Just in case we want to repeat any trip in future. So far it has every journey we've made in Elsie, during the last 18 months.

Have a great trip next year.
Thank you for your detailed reply daveclare

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
It's a bit of how long is a piece of string question. It all depends on how much time you want to spend travelling vs exploring, how much time you are willing to drive each day. What you want to do when you get there - settle at a campsite for a while or travel around everyday/few days. Certainly you could travel down in 5 days and back which would give you lots of time there but it's a big areas too.

We love exploring on route. We drove to Italy recently but it took us 2 weeks to get there as Germany was so interesting!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back