places to visit Ideas for tomorow (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
We are spending a few days in the north, had a great day today in Keswick and surrounding area, now deciding what to do tomorrow. I fancy a drive over to the east coast but I need a plan. What is there for the day visitor on the north east coast within a hundred miles of Windermere. Any help appreciated.

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
Looking at the weather forecast I cannot recommend anything better than the Metro (shopping) Centre at Gateshead

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Looking at the weather forecast I cannot recommend anything better than the Metro (shopping) Centre at Gateshead
Thanks Clickem a bit of rain wont put us off we have the weather gear with us but not more shopping, we do enough of that down south. We called in at Blackpool yesterday, not impressed but we have had a great day today. I was thinking of popping up into Scotland but might just settle for the steamer from Lake side to Ambleside a few drinks and either the bus or boat back. I am still open for ideas on the other side though.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
Thanks Clickem a bit of rain wont put us off we have the weather gear with us but not more shopping.(y)

Fair enough. If your determined to visit Northumberland, go to Housesteads and walk up onto Hadrian's Wall

Bear in mind that the Roman's did this in skirts and sandals

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Welcome to Cumbria.
Have a drive up to Carlisle, Park at the Castle and take the underpass (part of the museum) to Tullie House http://www.tulliehouse.co.uk/ and the Cathedral. Nice little tea room/coffee house in the grounds of the cathedral. Plenty of undercover areas if (when) wet.
If you still want to head to Northeast, straight along A69 or the Military Road past the Roman Forts

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
As someone who was brought up on the west side (Carlisle) but who spent 4 years being "larned" mechanical engineering in Newcastle upon Tyne I can say with authority there is nothing on the east coast worth visiting, other than the Farne Islands and Lindisfarne. Plus no doubt other places I've forgotten about! :) Anyhow, the language is incomprehensible and the beers give you a hangover - I speak after extensive research into the subject during my student days.

Stay on the west side, the Ravenglass and Eskdale railway (L'il Ratty) would be a good day out or explore the Solway coast around Silloth. St Bees Head is good for sea birds but perhaps not at the moment plus there are gales forecast for tomorrow coinciding with spring tides - so perhaps best to go to the east coast after all! :)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Go with your idea of Scotland, you could come to Dumfries and do the burns tour. Loads of other things to see and do. Or if you like a wee dram there's a Dram Busters day out tomorrow not advisable if driving though

Oct 31, 2012
here there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650
Exp
Since December 2012
UOTE="buttons, post: 1647804, member: 8178"]We are spending a few days in the north, had a great day today in Keswick and surrounding area, now deciding what to do tomorrow. I fancy a drive over to the east coast but I need a plan. What is there for the day visitor on the north east coast within a hundred miles of Windermere. Any help appreciated.[/QUOTE]

What about Beamish Museum? It takes you back in time, a bit like that old Hovis advert where that lad cycles down the hill in his old bike. If I remember right, I think it is near Chester - Le- Street in County Durham. Google it, I think you will find it quite interesting

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
when we were staying near Keswick last month we went up to Moffat and then back to Dumfries, its not far and the roads are good

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Welcome to Cumbria.
Have a drive up to Carlisle, Park at the Castle and take the underpass (part of the museum) to Tullie House http://www.tulliehouse.co.uk/ and the Cathedral. Nice little tea room/coffee house in the grounds of the cathedral. Plenty of undercover areas if (when) wet.
If you still want to head to Northeast, straight along A69 or the Military Road past the Roman Forts
Thanks for that and the link to Tullie House. I had forgotten about the improvements made around the castle and I was a regular visitor to Tullie House in the sixties and seventies, mostly for the meetings of the natural history society.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
As someone who was brought up on the west side (Carlisle) but who spent 4 years being "larned" mechanical engineering in Newcastle upon Tyne I can say with authority there is nothing on the east coast worth visiting, other than the Farne Islands and Lindisfarne. Plus no doubt other places I've forgotten about! :) Anyhow, the language is incomprehensible and the beers give you a hangover - I speak after extensive research into the subject during my student days.

Stay on the west side, the Ravenglass and Eskdale railway (L'il Ratty) would be a good day out or explore the Solway coast around Silloth. St Bees Head is good for sea birds but perhaps not at the moment plus there are gales forecast for tomorrow coinciding with spring tides - so perhaps best to go to the east coast after all! :)
Thanks DBK I am familiar with the west side, my ex father in law was born and bread in Maryport he spent hours telling me about his exploits both on foot and cycling the hills and dales, we even spent our honeymoon in the area, a few years ago of course..:)
We have also done the Ravensglass railway.(y)

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Go with your idea of Scotland, you could come to Dumfries and do the burns tour. Loads of other things to see and do. Or if you like a wee dram there's a Dram Busters day out tomorrow not advisable if driving though
Thanks lorger Dumfries is on my list, it is not too far from here. I have visited before, a good friend of mine is a local in your town so we have visited and enjoyed a wee dram before but alas not while driving.(y)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
As someone who was brought up on the west side (Carlisle) but who spent 4 years being "larned" mechanical engineering in Newcastle upon Tyne I can say with authority there is nothing on the east coast worth visiting, other than the Farne Islands and Lindisfarne. Plus no doubt other places I've forgotten about! :) :)
Eh :Eeek: what about Dunstanburgh and Bamburgh castles just up from Holy island ???
Dunstanburgh is probably one of the most atmospheric ruined castles in England, and a lovely walk along an unspoilt coastline to get there.

Dunstanburgh_Castle_Northumberland_3.jpg

dunstanburgh_castle.jpg

bamburgh-castle-3.jpg

Reactions: DBK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back