Places to visit around Northmberland/Scotland ? (1 Viewer)

karel

Free Member
Apr 12, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
im a newbie
Hi

Starting from my home town of Hudderfield I am doing a 10 week tour around the Scotland and Northumberland area, I have rarely visited this area before and wondered if anyone has suggestions for some nice places to visit and maybe a recommended campsite? It can be anywhere around the area and not just the coast.

I am a keen cyclist and like to walk,although not on moors, more canals, through villages etc. I also like old fishing villages, oldy worldy places, harbours and nice beaches. I also like to visit museums/castles, places of interest, not one for being in the middle of nowhere.

The campsites I really don't mind, one week I am up for peace and quiet and the next I like one with things going on, just like a nice well run one with decent facilities and a good view if possible.

Although I like a wide range of places and always willing to try somewhere new the above is more what I am looking for.

Thanks for any advice

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Hi Karl, plenty of places to visit in Scotland. You can park up in most laybys on the West side of Loch lomond, theres brown trout in the loch to catch. All museums in Scotland are still free...i think.

One piece of advice would be to get a good midge repellent::bigsmile:
Have fun wherever you go.

Apr 10, 2014
glasgow
Funster No
MH
iveco conversion
Exp
Scotland

A hidden gem that we only found recently is the solway coast and Galloway forest. Coast is a mini cornwall.(also known as secret coast) Kipford, castlepoint caravan site very nice. Causeway to island. Hill fort and coastal path north or south. In the forest follow Raiders Road, a single track forest road with wild camping spots. (otters and red kites). Not far for you coming up from south. We will also do borders this year but not been there with van yet..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Dunbar, North Berwick and Yellowcraigs all nice campsites, at Yellowcraigs the beach is on your doorstep and Dirleton castle in the village is worth a visit. Tantallon castle at North Berwick. Famous Bamburgh castle in Northumberland with plenty campsites along that coast.:Smile:

OP
OP
karel

karel

Free Member
Apr 12, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
im a newbie
Thanks so much for the replies i am going to go through each place mentioned and pick out my faves and visit, not really one for wild camping for more than 1 night, like my sites, as a big part for me is meeting new people, especially when I go alone and also like my hot showers and creature comforts.

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Scotland

Hi,

We have done a couple of long tours up there (when we lived in Dewsbury) and we are going back up for five weeks in September.......to make sure we miss the midges!

On our last tur we stayed at:

Club site in Edinburgh (just outside actually, but a bus ride in)
Then up to St Andrews, stayed at a private site about a mile from the town. Which is worth visiting whether you like golf or not.
Then up to Loch Ewe, where we stayed at the club site right on the loch. (Inverewe). Wonderful views right down the loch, great cycling, Inverewe Gardens a mile up the road if you like gardens, and down at the sea end of the loch (a lovely 12 mile cycle ride) is he old WW2 camp with memorials to the Russia convoys which used to gather here before sailing.
Then over to Skye, which is a must. Again we stayed at the club site, but we rode up to Dunvegan castle and out to the coral beach beyond the castle.

When we go up in September we will do all the above plus take the ferry over to see Scapa Flow. And we intend to spend longer on Skye. On the way back down we will probably stay at the club site at Ardgarten.

Have a great trip, you will love it.......I hope you get good weather!::bigsmile:

OP
OP
karel

karel

Free Member
Apr 12, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
im a newbie
Loch ewe sounds great after a quick search on Google thanks

johnandsue

Free Member
Jun 25, 2011
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 640
Exp
Since 2012
There are many great places to visit but very few go to the north of Scotland. I would strongly recommend that travel north stopping at Edinburgh, Pitlochry area and Inverness, new CCC site on the banks of Loch Ness. From there drive to Ullapool then north to Durness via Kylesku (great inn by the Loch), stay at Scourie then on to Durness. Very interesting bohemian type camp at Durness with a lot of interesting little shops on the ex RAF camp. Stay at Durness then along to Bettyhill, Thurso then south back to Inverness. Don't bother with John o' Groats waste of time. From Inverness go along Loch Ness and down to Oban, day trip onto Mull and visit Fingalls Cave and Iona (leave m/h in Oban, bus will take you around on Mull), then down to Loch
Lomond and onwards south.

A few people have mentioned midges - they can be a real pest, no real protection although some people recommend Skin So Soft,

Where ever you go enjoy it.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
You could follow the tourist coastal route from Morpeth (a great little market town) - you'll certainly see plenty of castles and lots of scenery.

Really once you get north of Newcastle and the Tyneside conurbation you can't go too far wrong, either all the way up the coast to Berwick-upon-Tweed (worth a visit in itself) and then keeping to the coast all the way to Edinburgh, or visit Alnwick and then Wooler and north to Berwick and keeping to the coast round to Edinburgh. Don't forget The Museum of Flight and there are loads of museums in Edinburgh - and free motorhome friendly parking if you know who to ask :winky:

Alternatively from Berwick go into The Borders, part of Scotland often missed by tourists and, again lots of history, countryside and wonderful views.

If you want to go east to west it's best to avoid the St Mary's Loch route as it's narrow and crumbling - best to go via Edinburgh and the motorway. Falkirk is definitely worth a visit not just for the wheel but also the Antonine Wall which is within walking distance.

How long have you got????

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
There are many great places to visit but very few go to the north of Scotland. I would strongly recommend that travel north stopping at Edinburgh, Pitlochry area and Inverness, new CCC site on the banks of Loch Ness. From there drive to Ullapool then north to Durness via Kylesku (great inn by the Loch), stay at Scourie then on to Durness. Very interesting bohemian type camp at Durness with a lot of interesting little shops on the ex RAF camp. Stay at Durness then along to Bettyhill, Thurso then south back to Inverness. Don't bother with John o' Groats waste of time. From Inverness go along Loch Ness and down to Oban, day trip onto Mull and visit Fingalls Cave and Iona (leave m/h in Oban, bus will take you around on Mull), then down to Loch
Lomond and onwards south.

[HI]A few people have mentioned midges - they can be a real pest, no real protection although some people recommend Skin So Soft,

Where ever you go e[/HI]njoy it.

We have midges down here but they don't really bother me. Are there loads more in Scotland?

I have been in May and don't remember a problem with them.

johnandsue

Free Member
Jun 25, 2011
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 640
Exp
Since 2012
I rarely go up to the Highlands after early June until early/mid September, the midges are fierce and can force you insides at the very worst - it could be i am just a wimp

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we were told 1st June the midges come out, and boy did they, we were at Kinlochewe a few years ago, 31st May all OK following day had to leave !!

Back to OP, the shower block at Grantown on Spey is possibly the best we have found, particularly good in January as it is really well heated, close to town, good shops and woodland walks

Now I am going to tell you a secret, we have a real favourite CL, look at Gatehouse of Fleet, Newton Farm, it is magical for us, down a 1 mile track you park on the beach, tap and waste dump, long way to go for anything so take some food, but we love it

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
Where to begin - so many beautiful places
The Isle of Mull and the Craignure Campsite
Strontian and Rescipole and the Ardmurchan Lighthouse
The road to Mallaig - Arisaig and the Sunnycroft Campsite - beautiful views to Eigg and Rum and the most fab beach! This is an excellent campsite.
Catch the ferry from Mallaig to Skye and the come back across the Skye bridge
North of Ullapool and to the Summer Isles - really lovely area - I could go on and on and on. We have been going to Scotland every year since 2006 and love to come back - especially to the West Coast. We have just had three weeks up there and had excellent weather. Have fune!!!

OP
OP
karel

karel

Free Member
Apr 12, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
im a newbie
Thanks for all the responses, some v hepful and friendly people on here :thumb: I promise to go through every place mentioned although the midges thing is putting me off the Highlands, hate them with a passion.

Does anyone know of any nice fishing villages to add to the list? I am a real lover especially if it is a really oldy worldy places with a nice pub and a fresh seafood to eat.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Seafood? Where to start!

Amble and Alnmouth

Craster (Northumberland) for kippers - and The Jolly Fisherman for the seafood menu

Lindisfarne for all types of seafood but especially lobster, check the tides before you cross.

Berwick upon Tweed, Eyemouth and then all the way up the coast.........

I'm feeling hungry! Time for the remains of the rhubarb crumble.....

johnandsue

Free Member
Jun 25, 2011
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 640
Exp
Since 2012
Seafood - any of the villages around Ullapool, see them being offloaded from the boats then taken to the pubs/restaurants locally

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Another vote here for Ullapool, we were up there a couple of weeks ago and midgies not bad.
As for seafood we often pass the Loch Fyne Oyster bar and restaurant at the head of Loch Fyne between Inverary and Arrochar, the menu looks good. :Smile:

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
You could follow the tourist coastal route from Morpeth (a great little market town) - you'll certainly see plenty of castles and lots of scenery.

Really once you get north of Newcastle and the Tyneside conurbation you can't go too far wrong, either all the way up the coast to Berwick-upon-Tweed (worth a visit in itself) and then keeping to the coast all the way to Edinburgh, or visit Alnwick and then Wooler and north to Berwick and keeping to the coast round to Edinburgh. Don't forget The Museum of Flight and there are loads of museums in Edinburgh - and free motorhome friendly parking if you know who to ask :winky:

Alternatively from Berwick go into The Borders, part of Scotland often missed by tourists and, again lots of history, countryside and wonderful views.

If you want to go east to west it's best to avoid the St Mary's Loch route as it's narrow and crumbling - best to go via Edinburgh and the motorway. Falkirk is definitely worth a visit not just for the wheel but also the Antonine Wall which is within walking distance.

How long have you got????

Whatever you do don't miss St. Mary's loch, road has been fixed,still a little narrow in places. Avoid the weekends when all the idiot bikers think it is the Nurburgring. Stop at Moffat then down to Dumfries, along Solway coast to Kippford lovely site there. Castle Douglas then loch Ken to Dalry, on to Queens road to Newton Stewart down to Garlieston, superb site, or go to Kirkcudbright, again a lovely site. By then their is no way you will want to go home, suggest you sell up before you leave.:thumb:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Whatever you do don't miss St. Mary's loch, road has been fixed,still a little narrow in places. Avoid the weekends when all the idiot bikers think it is the Nurburgring. Stop at Moffat then down to Dumfries, along Solway coast to Kippford lovely site there. Castle Douglas then loch Ken to Dalry, on to Queens road to Newton Stewart down to Garlieston, superb site, or go to Kirkcudbright, again a lovely site. By then their is no way you will want to go home, suggest you sell up before you leave.:thumb:

Were just about to suggest Kirkcudbright......you beat us to it!:thumb:

Bill

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012

There's a nice little campsite at St Mary's Loch, Tibbie Shiels, also agree Kippford is gorgeous place although never stayed at campsite. Garlieston has a club site but also little site with a fishing lake, pigs and sausages and a toilet with a red/green light system :BigGrin
Hope we haven't confused the OP:Smile::

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Just to add, if you do take Moodybrook's advice and head towards Loch Ken, you must go the the award-winning Kitty's Tearoom for a bite to eat if in the area:thumb:

It's an absolute little gem of a place in the heart of New Galloway, DG7 3RN, you can't miss it, as it's right on the High Street. They do snacks, meals and fantastic old fashioned afternoon teas with gorgeous home-baked cakes, scones and other goodies to tempt you........all served up on real bone china.

They will be open most days at this time of the year, Tel. no. 01644 420246
and well worth a visit:thumb:

Margaret

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
[HI]Aviemore[/HI] and Fort William :Smile:

Horrible place !! Pitlochry much better, car park has designated MH places:thumb:

Fort William....Good butchers there for juicy steaks on the BBQ :Cool::Cool:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Hi,

We have done a couple of long tours up there (when we lived in Dewsbury) and we are going back up for five weeks in September.......to make sure we miss the midges!

On our last tur we stayed at:

Club site in Edinburgh (just outside actually, but a bus ride in)
Then up to St Andrews, stayed at a private site about a mile from the town. Which is worth visiting whether you like golf or not.
Then up to Loch Ewe, where we stayed at the club site right on the loch. (Inverewe). Wonderful views right down the loch, great cycling, Inverewe Gardens a mile up the road if you like gardens, and [HI]down at the sea end of the loch [/HI](a lovely 12 mile cycle ride) is he old WW2 camp with memorials to the Russia convoys which used to gather here before sailing.
Then over to Skye, which is a must. Again we stayed at the club site, but we rode up to Dunvegan castle and out to the coral beach beyond the castle.

When we go up in September we will do all the above plus take the ferry over to see Scapa Flow. And we intend to spend longer on Skye. On the way back down we will probably stay at the club site at Ardgarten.

Have a great trip, you will love it.......I hope you get good weather!::bigsmile:

It's called Cove, and it's a favourite wildcamping spot of mine !!:Cool::Cool::Cool:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
We were on the St Mary's Loch road three weeks ago and there are major road works west of the loch. Even with our small MH it was tight. You might want to check before you set out.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
We were on the St Mary's Loch road three weeks ago and there are major road works west of the loch. Even with our small MH it was tight. You might want to check before you set out.

As I said those works are finished now and the surfaces are generally good, that's saying something !!

The Selkirk to Moffat road is in the top ten "must do touring routes" in the world, that is why we get all the Tyneside, Yorkshire and Edinburgh biker clubs committing suicide at the weekends, When at Tibbie Sheils pop across to the cafe, Wooden cabin, by the side of the road and say hello to Kath my tame coffee maker and tell her Smithy sent you you will get a warm welcome, I think :Eeek: If you want a bit of peace and quiet turn off beside St. Marys and go along to the Meggat reservoir, lots of parking up spots. There is a nice run thro by Talla onto the Moffat Edinburgh road, "Beef tubs road" (a secluded deep valley near Moffatt where we hid the English cattle when we helped ourselves, "Border Reivers") not for the fainthearted or big vans ! :thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back