Free Member
Apr 21, 2013
Bury
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Exp
Since 2001
I need to be in central London on the 28-29th October I want to go in my motorhome ive looked at camp sites but none seem to appealing I am going to make a week of it so taking wife and kids, I would like a parking spot or camp site that is family friendly close to a train station so I can travel to the capital for a few days
Any ideas

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Abbey Wood , sounds like it will meet your needs. Great site, 5 minute walk to the station and lidle near by , what more do you want with the the greatest city in the world just 25 minutes away. BTW I live in this city so not biased at all.
Enjoy :smiley:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We've stayed at Abbey Wood a few times. Easy to get into London. It is in the LEZ though so make sure your van is compliant before going.

Not sure about the "greatest city" description though :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Yep. Abbey Wood. It's a Caravan Club Site. Right on the doorstep of all transport links and you can virtually see the City from the site. A little oasis in the best city in the world (y) No waiting hours for buses that finish at 4 in the afternoon like you do in the country either :D

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
debden house loughton not sure about transport links though but its not in the lez or lea valley campsite sewardstone rd

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
The only problem with Debden house access is not really suitable for larger rigs. The sign on the gate says max 6 m but we have been there with 7.5 m plus towing. But then I'm sure that there are 'pro' drivers here who've got their RV's in. (y) Also it's a fair walk to the town for public transport to The city. Huge fields surrounded by forests, deer sanctuary etc and can be a little rowdy as used by big groups of Scouts etc.

From the north a closer site is Lee Valley, site is nothing like Debden but it has a Bus stop outside but is still a trek if you want to go right into the city. It's just outside the 406 so I'm not sure if you need to be Lez compliant.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
We have stayed at the C&CC site at Chertsey and travelled into the capital. However can't remember how close to the station it is. Nice site adjacent to the river with lovely walking and pub nearby.

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Another vote for the C&CC site in Chertsey.

We're off there for October half-term so I can get into work easily for a few days.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
crystal palace CC site

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We have stayed at the C&CC site at Chertsey and travelled into the capital. However can't remember how close to the station it is. Nice site adjacent to the river with lovely walking and pub nearby.

It's 4 miles to Weighbridge station, so a taxi ride.

30mins on the train to London.

Site is outside LEZ zone.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
I need to be in central London on the 28-29th October I want to go in my motorhome ive looked at camp sites but none seem to appealing I am going to make a week of it so taking wife and kids, I would like a parking spot or camp site that is family friendly close to a train station so I can travel to the capital for a few days
Any ideas

First thing you need to do is check whether your MH is LEZ compliant - otherwise it'll be one heck of a dear weekend ;)
Link Removed

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
With regards to being LEZ compliant, as I understand the rules, if you are not compliant you can still enter the LEZ, however, you will be picked up by their cameras, and a notification will be sent to the address at which the vehicle is registered.
From the date of being detected within the LEZ, you will have 28 days to have the vehicle modified and become compliant. Should vehicle movement be further detected before becoming compliant after the 28 day period, you will be fined for each day the vehicle is detected. For us, that was £200 per day, and is now £500. :eek:

So, visit a site within the LEZ, but just make sure that your vehicle has left the LEZ before the 28 days are up, and don't go back inside it, unless you become compliant.
Broken Link Removed

Good luck,

Jock.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp

So have we and if you do stay there keep a watch on your property as just on the other side of the river is a travelers site and when we were there the lock keepers new caravan had been stolen out of his secure compound AND the CC site warden threatened because they reported the theft of vans from the site. I understand its only since this happened that the CC have fitted security barriers to most or all sites

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
yes I remember some negative threads elsewhere re security at Chertsey site...

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
We had three nights at the CC Crystal Palace site last week. No3 bus from about 300 yards outside the gate takes you straight in to Oxford Circus. Takes about 1 hour, but the service runs all night (becomes the N3) so no problems with getting stuck in London if you take in a show or a meal. We went to see the new Kinks musical Sunny Afternoon, can highly recommend it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back