Aug 29, 2017
Farnborough
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff Arto 69
Exp
Im a newbie
Hi Guys

looking to walk up Pen Y fan next Wednesday... just brought a britstop but sure if it will arrive before then... so any recommendations of places to stay near there?

Stu

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
If you are starting at the more popular spot off the main road.

You can drive past the start of the walk on your right and there is a big lay-by on your left.
Its a short walk back then.

No pubs near enough to stay at then walk from as far as I know.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
arto stu

arto stu

Free Member
Aug 29, 2017
Farnborough
Funster No
MH
Exp
Im a newbie
Thanks SF... we are walking from the south... near the reservoir... i think u can park there... i was looking for a pub around brecon to stay at

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Thanks SF... we are walking from the south... near the reservoir... i think u can park there... i was looking for a pub around brecon to stay at

If I remember correctly thats a fair walk from the reservoir up to Pen Y Fan starting point.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
arto stu

arto stu

Free Member
Aug 29, 2017
Farnborough
Funster No
MH
Exp
Im a newbie
its about a 5 hr round trip.... up to corn di.. thrn across to the fan then back around and down... :).. i havce done it several times over the years, but only just got the van.. so thought it would be nice to try her out in the beacons

Upvote 0
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
There is a camping site by the A470 to the south, but some way away.

There are lots of laybys with just off road spots, again a fair distance to the south, but it has been reported that the Park Wardens have been more active in this area owning to a number of 'dogging' events, in fact they have plans to place barriers across the laybys to prevent overnight parking.

To the north of Storey Arms and about a mile off the A470, follow the brown signs to the National Park Centre, once out on the open land there are plenty of places to wild. The centre offers hearty food and there are good loos there.

If your looking for somewhere close, walking distance, to the Storey Arms start point? There are places but whether you'll get an undisturbed night or not I can't comment.

Upvote 0

stephen78

Free Member
Mar 9, 2015
swansea
Funster No
MH
Pvc
Exp
since 2014
How about owl grove car park near the pentcelli reservoir I know a few people on here have overnighted there cf482ut.

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
Powys actually encourage motorhomes to park in their car parks (free still I think) but I think the Powys border probably runs East West along the Pen y Fan ridge so if climbing from the South side you won't be in Powys... ( sorry never climbed it from that side)

Upvote 0
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Powys actually encourage motorhomes to park in their car parks (free still I think) but I think the Powys border probably runs East West along the Pen y Fan ridge so if climbing from the South side you won't be in Powys... ( sorry never climbed it from that side)

I think the National Parks and National Park Wardens trump the council rules.

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I think the National Parks and National Park Wardens trump the council rules.
6.30 overnight (council car parks, not a pub which I think is what OP wanted)
http://www.powys.gov.uk/en/roads-transport-and-parking/find-a-car-park/car-park-charges/
No BritStops in Brecon itself but there's one 4 miles north.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
arto stu

arto stu

Free Member
Aug 29, 2017
Farnborough
Funster No
MH
Exp
Im a newbie
Guys,

thanks for all the advice... blow me down my britstop book arrived today... only ordered yesterday :)

please bear in mind I am new to all this so forgive the question... Britsop 334 Pwlglowy Arms ( about 10 miles north of Fan) ... so if i ring up... On the assumption they have space, I can stay there FOC as long as I have meal / drink in the pub??... I know its a stupid question... but it almost seems to good to be true :)

Think I might like this camper van thing .....

If I park at Neuadd car park, Talybont-on-Usk, Merthyr Tydfil CF48 2UT I may get asked to move on... or can i park there overnight?

Stu

Upvote 0

stephen78

Free Member
Mar 9, 2015
swansea
Funster No
MH
Pvc
Exp
since 2014
Guys,

thanks for all the advice... blow me down my britstop book arrived today... only ordered yesterday :)

please bear in mind I am new to all this so forgive the question... Britsop 334 Pwlglowy Arms ( about 10 miles north of Fan) ... so if i ring up... On the assumption they have space, I can stay there FOC as long as I have meal / drink in the pub??... I know its a stupid question... but it almost seems to good to be true :)

If I park at Neuadd car park, Talybont-on-Usk, Merthyr Tydfil CF48 2UT I may get asked to move on... or can i park there overnight?

Stu
I know a couple on here have staye
Guys,

Stu
check out a bank holiday in the Brecon Beacons in the wild camping section on this site there is information there about it.

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Guys,

Stu
Ref BritStop 334 (BritStops do ask us not to name their Stops, just refer by number) yes if they have room you stay there foc but no, that's not 'as long as you eat/drink there' - it's WHETHER OR NOT you eat or drink there. Good manners to introduce yourselves when you get there and some of us always leave a thank-you card. If you do use them for food or drink, so much the better, and good for the BritStops thing if you make sure the pub makes the connection (I tend to mention 'a great meal' or whatever in my thank-you cards).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
arto stu

arto stu

Free Member
Aug 29, 2017
Farnborough
Funster No
MH
Exp
Im a newbie
Opps sorry about the name... thinking about it of course makes sense... OK so I am on a roll... but I cant find the Owls Grove car park... didnt even know that bit of the forum existed :)... what a great learning experience this is lol

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Owl's Grove:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/B...96fdd9!2m2!1d-3.391463!2d51.9489469!1m0?hl=en

upload_2017-9-30_15-56-43.png

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
@arto stu Britstops like you to go into the bar with your current book in hand and introduce yourself, well thats what I do :)

The book will tell you if you need to phone ahead etc.

Some pubs and Restaurants have it well set up even providing electric etc.

Upvote 0

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Screenshot_20170925-103555.png
you can overnight in the large car park at brecon. There are purpose built mh spaces. Small charge. Quiet at night.
Near large morrisons and loos very short walk up the steps.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back