Jay Butts

Free Member
Sep 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Looking for one
Exp
I’m a newbie
Hey, finally got around to paying my subscription!

As a total novice that is looking to do a long trip, is there anybody that can warn me of the pitfalls? Other than the obvious, what are the worst things that can happen that I can be prepared for?

Thanks in advance ... John.

Sucoz

Free Member
Oct 28, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
‘A’ Class
Exp
since 2011
Look at plenty of vans or hire, you may find what you think you want changes a little, it did for us.
The A class may give you the option of a pull down bed and rear bedroom, giving you that 'space' you want. Some vans have doors to shut off the bedroom.
You will need a large garage for your long travels
How roomy do you want your lounge area? Look in the review section re dealers to try and avoid problems and know your stuff as much as possible before you negotiate a deal (download the buyer guide free to subscribers)
Read up on here re solar power, refillable gas, payload.
There is always a compromise, but decide what your top priorities are and stick to them.
Exciting times ahead, have fun

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jay Butts

Free Member
Sep 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Looking for one
Exp
I’m a newbie
If you're having a double lounge will the bed be a pulldown? Making the bed every night becomes a total PITA. We learned the hard way, decided that a front lounge was perfect in a 5.4m PVC and we could convert it to a bed every night, except that everything needed to be stored, the bed butted right up to the front seats so with me going to bed first Mark had to scramble over because of the sides of the bed we usually sleep in.

I'm the night time getter up here as well and it meant waking Mark up so he could move, then getting the dogs off the floor and onto the bed, moving the dog beds, using the toilet, dog beds back, dogs off the bed (reluctantly for them), scrabble back past Mark.

It was uncomfortable both as a sofa and as a bed and it got so I hated the van, 3 months later we traded in for a Hymer Ayers Rock, fixed transverse bed at the back, Mark sleeps by the back doors and I can use the toilet without waking him. One dog on the dinette seat and the other on the floor in front of it, they don't stir - *happy dance* - the only thing we're missing is an oven but there are plenty of work rounds.
If you're having a double lounge will the bed be a pulldown? Making the bed every night becomes a total PITA. We learned the hard way, decided that a front lounge was perfect in a 5.4m PVC and we could convert it to a bed every night, except that everything needed to be stored, the bed butted right up to the front seats so with me going to bed first Mark had to scramble over because of the sides of the bed we usually sleep in.

I'm the night time getter up here as well and it meant waking Mark up so he could move, then getting the dogs off the floor and onto the bed, moving the dog beds, using the toilet, dog beds back, dogs off the bed (reluctantly for them), scrabble back past Mark.

It was uncomfortable both as a sofa and as a bed and it got so I hated the van, 3 months later we traded in for a Hymer Ayers Rock, fixed transverse bed at the back, Mark sleeps by the back doors and I can use the toilet without waking him. One dog on the dinette seat and the other on the floor in front of it, they don't stir - *happy dance* - the only thing we're missing is an oven but there are plenty of work rounds.
Hey Mindy, sounds like you had a tough time! We’re taking a dog too but she’s only a little Jug so won’t take up much space...

The Mobilvetta has an electrically operated drop down bed above the rear lounge but I don’t know if this can be stored away made. I’d enquire.

Many thanks for sharing your experiences, it looks exactly the same as our potential issue with sleeping and bed time routine! If I can’t find a drop down bed that can be made and then stored, fixed singles it is!

(y)

Upvote 0

BishBosh

Free Member
Sep 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Upgrades!!! of course
How about hiring over the next 18 months before you buy? We have twice hired now and know that 1. We like it and 2. We had some idea of what we wanted.
The last van we hired from a well know company near a Luton had a drop down bed over the lounge, this helped us a great deal actually experiencing it before committing to buy.
Happy hunting...?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jay Butts

Free Member
Sep 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Looking for one
Exp
I’m a newbie
Will give that some thought too BishBosh. Thanks mate. (y)

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
BTW, I’m a teacher and I use my name to stop kids/parents looking me up on the WWW. If you put my name followed by ‘teacher’ I’m the top of the list on Google! :)
Not on my Google...... I hope. :Eeek:

Screenshot_20190926_182549_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jay Butts

Free Member
Sep 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Looking for one
Exp
I’m a newbie
Not on my Google...... I hope. :Eeek:

View attachment 334832
Haha, read that! The inquest for the Thornton fella was on Butts Lane! Crazy... my real name is John Butterfield, google that. I promise I’m a lowly teacher ((Disgruntled with education and looking to sail (drive!) off into the distance very soon))....

Taken a new tack and looking at low miles, 3-4 year old vans and bloomin’ ‘eck, there’s some bargains to be had... like a £20k saving and that’s a lot of bread, cheese and wine methinks...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NorthernSands

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
North Notts
Funster No
MH
Hymer E700
Exp
Since 2016
Personally I'd take a different tack, though potentially so radical it's a gybe (maintaining the sailing theme here :cool: ). Instead of spending that much on a new, or nearly new van for a long tour, I'd go much older and spend less.

My target would be a Hymer S700. Controversial, I know, but with good reason. You can get two single beds and they're big enough to live in for a long time. You could even modify the sleeping area at the back pretty easily if the bed wasn't right. Pick the right year and the engines are pre electronic injection (manual injection pump), so much less to go wrong when you're out in the sticks, and much easier to fix at a back street mechanic if something did go wrong (the Merc vans the S700 is based on are in use all around the world), and I also think the habitation is better built than newer vans. Rear wheel drive, and pretty bullet proof. Would run much better on poorer quality diesel. Also, any teething problems have all been sorted out years before. You would care less if it got dinged, and you can spend money on customisation, e.g. solar panels (a must), larger / more leisure batteries, LPG etc. There are some down sides, though. They are much less 'bling' (though for me that's a positive!), and you're unlikely to get a huge garage (and that's a big negative).

Just my tuppence worth. :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jay Butts

Free Member
Sep 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Looking for one
Exp
I’m a newbie
Personally I'd take a different tack, though potentially so radical it's a gybe (maintaining the sailing theme here :cool: ). Instead of spending that much on a new, or nearly new van for a long tour, I'd go much older and spend less.

My target would be a Hymer S700. Controversial, I know, but with good reason. You can get two single beds and they're big enough to live in for a long time. You could even modify the sleeping area at the back pretty easily if the bed wasn't right. Pick the right year and the engines are pre electronic injection (manual injection pump), so much less to go wrong when you're out in the sticks, and much easier to fix at a back street mechanic if something did go wrong (the Merc vans the S700 is based on are in use all around the world), and I also think the habitation is better built than newer vans. Rear wheel drive, and pretty bullet proof. Would run much better on poorer quality diesel. Also, any teething problems have all been sorted out years before. You would care less if it got dinged, and you can spend money on customisation, e.g. solar panels (a must), larger / more leisure batteries, LPG etc. There are some down sides, though. They are much less 'bling' (though for me that's a positive!), and you're unlikely to get a huge garage (and that's a big negative).

Just my tuppence worth. :)
Damn fine advice! I have been looking at older vans for pretty much the reasons you give. I’ll definitely take a look at the Hymer you’ve suggested too. Many thanks....

Upvote 0
Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
We're doing similar to you in the spring but just a year out. Dog, bikes, surf stuff. Similar budget to you and after looking for ages and hoping to find 2nd hand we settled on a new Dethleff pulse 6.9m with rear island bed. Love that it feels like an actual bedroom you could chill in and close the door to separate from kitchen/lounge. Only compromise i found is relatively compact lounge area but still room for 2 to sit with feet up watching tv (we checked) Exciting times!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jay Butts

Free Member
Sep 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Looking for one
Exp
I’m a newbie
We're doing similar to you in the spring but just a year out. Dog, bikes, surf stuff. Similar budget to you and after looking for ages and hoping to find 2nd hand we settled on a new Dethleff pulse 6.9m with rear island bed. Love that it feels like an actual bedroom you could chill in and close the door to separate from kitchen/lounge. Only compromise i found is relatively compact lounge area but still room for 2 to sit with feet up watching tv (we checked) Exciting times!
Ooooh, great times ahead Helen, we’re very excited.... my very next task is to take a peep at a Dethleffs Pulse!!!

A year out would be lovely too, we may cut ours down a little, all depends on my wife murdering me or not... :)

Upvote 0
Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Ooooh, great times ahead Helen, we’re very excited.... my very next task is to take a peep at a Dethleffs Pulse!!!

A year out would be lovely too, we may cut ours down a little, all depends on my wife murdering me or not... :)
This is why I'm liking the separate living spaces in the pulse and a bedroom door to slam (close lovingly as it will be my new precious)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jay Butts

Free Member
Sep 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Looking for one
Exp
I’m a newbie
This is why I'm liking the separate living spaces in the pulse and a bedroom door to slam (close lovingly as it will be my new precious)
Yeah, two beds and two separate lounges. It’s the very reason we’re considering a K Yacht 80. Two drop down beds with each over a lounge area....

We need to go and look at one... thanks once again for your advice Helen. :giggle:

Upvote 0

Maria41

Free Member
Aug 14, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I am a newbie
Hi JJ, I am new to campervan but I have travelled overland pretty much round the world ( in stages of 1 year and 4 months batches - see my website for details of some of my trips).

Starting from the UK, doing the Silk Road all the way to Vladivostok is extremely popular, very safe and easy. You should investigate that.
Make sure to get the Russian visas before departure as this can only be obtained in your country of residence. Then I would suggest to go via Turkey, Georgia, Russia, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, kygyzstan , back to Kazakh, Mongolia and back to Russia for the final push. The Silk Road is magnificent! Bear in mind that China is not easy to get into as need to get organised as an expedition and costly guide is compulsory.
Mongolia might be too hard for a motorhome except the southern “road”.

In Vladivostok there are plenty of ferries to japan, Korea etc... once in Alaska get down the US to South America. Crossing the Darien gap might be tricky ( with a motorbike just fly it but not a motorhome). But I met many on my year round South America so doable. Just need planning a bit. Then you can ship back from Buenos Aires. I would not recommend South Africa as you need a 4 wheel drive outside South Africa. But totally worth it! I Spent 4 months last year there and it was breathtaking but tough on two wheels.
Other option is shipping to Montevideo from the UK or Germany. RoRos are most affordable.

I am considering taking our van and do the full America’s next year.... or go back to Africa on the motorbikes ....

Happy to answers any questions on overlanding to far of places, juste send me an email via my website.
Cheers

Upvote 0

Maria41

Free Member
Aug 14, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I am a newbie
Regarding our van, we bought a van and designed it. We wanted fixed beds. Hubby is tall so finding a 2m bed was impossible. Our van is a Citroen long wheel base (6m). We have bunk beds on the side of the sliding door. In the other side, fridge and cupboards, toilet/shower in middle then sitting benches with small table in between begging the cabin.
We need swivel sits as living space is too small.
We will look occasionally at renting a flat here and there for a week or two. Should be very cheap off season.
We will see how it goes. I miss my motorbike. Travel on a bike is about the ride. In a MH it s about the destination and the drive is boring ....

Upvote 0
Jun 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxdrive 680ME
Exp
None
Hi Jay, you’ve inspired me to do our first post! Love your sense of adventure, we had planned something similar but a work opportunity came up that will keep us pretty much UK based for another year or so, with only a few weeks at a time in Europe.
It’s our first time as well, although well travelled on motorbikes (wave to Maria!) and we considered hiring or buying an older van first but discounted both ideas. This was for two reasons, firstly I knew unless the driving aspect of the journey was enjoyable it would turn us off it and secondly, unless the van layout, fitments etc were as we (think) wanted that too could turn us off before we started.
So after six months of research we have bought the VW Crafter based Knaus Boxdrive 680ME first edition and are importing it ourselves from Germany. We fly to Berlin Monday week to drive it home. LHD and automatic. We’ve paid just on £60k for it. Have you considered doing something like that?
(We wanted the say this forum is great too, thanks everyone for all your freely imparted knowledge, really helpful. Sorry for hijacking you thread Jay)

Upvote 0

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Yup, as a relative newcomer to the world of motor homing the advice to rent is spot on.

As is the advice to go 2nd hand; that's a no brainer. Drive off the lot in your new toy and you loose most of the VAT, its a bit of a slow burning kick in the plums.

I spent months studying, talking, pestering and researching our final purchase, take your time, there are plenty out there. Due diligence and pre purchase research are the key.

Write up a list of the type of things you MUST have and a list of things you really like, it can be helpful, and revealing. Be specific in your initial requirements but allow for later flexibility. For example, our van has a fancy all singing self seeking auto satellite system, we thought that this was a "MUST". Turns out we hardly use it, I have a £20/mn SIM only deal from Vodaphone, sourced off this site, and we stream all our media through my old phone. That makes a £1500 option redundant...saying that, it looks cool when it unfolds and seeks, the kids love it and secretly I feel like Dr No as I aim it at my adversaries and plot my revenge!

Anyway, back in the room.

This website is a cracking resource, but don't neglect the others. I found EBAY and Autotrader invaluable for basic research. Buy the mags, check out the associations, go to the numerous events/meets/exhibitions.

Be prepared to travel to view a prospect and to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your princess!

Also, factor into your budget all the little extras to kit it out. Even if a good amount is coming from 'stock' in the house they can add up very quickly, I blew a wad on all those little unexpected things you need/want. I only really stopped last week, (I purchased a van in April), when I dropped over a grand on a trailer for my m/c's! Hopefully that will be it as I think SWMBO (aka the accountant) is beginning to fret. She thinks I've given up on a suitcase generator but plans are afoot, and a drive-away awning, and some wind breakers, and a big flag, and a paddling pool and a TPMS and and and and and and...… See what I mean?

Take your time, don't rush, have a plan.

And, know this. It is not a cheap hobby, but not as ruinously expensive as boats.

Upvote 0

Maria41

Free Member
Aug 14, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I am a newbie
Consider a converting company. Prices for a purpose built MH or van are very high. Even 2d hand. I was horrified when I first started. Anything under 30k was terrible or very very old, needing work anyway.
I recently visited a MH in France and the same van than our ( similar stuff) was more than double what we spent.

We bought a 3 year old van with about 50k miles in the clock. Visited many conversion companies and picked one in the middle in term of quote. Van cost us 12k including VAT. Conversion cost was 16k.
We just replaced the leisure batteries, we should have asked the converters what type they would put. Good quality is a must. So all in all we spent 26k and have exactly what we need and want. Missing was the swivel seats. We did not fit an awning, we got the Quest 4 pop up instead which we love.
Been on the road for a month now ( currently in Croatia) and the only stuff we miss is the swivel seat for extra space.

In summary if interested the van has:
Full shower and toilet. Solar panel, 90l fridge, DVD player fitted in the ceiling, two fixed bunk beds, kitchen sink, 3 rings gas cooker, gas oven ( we did not want a microwave), 120l water tank, LPG tank under the body of about 80l ( I think), central heating , electric roof vent.... 2 leisure batteries, sitting area with table between the 2 seats, lots of cupboards and large boot at the back.
A hydraulic upper bunk bed that goes up could be an idea ( adding costs though) so lower bunk could be used as additional lounge. But we spend most of our time outside when not driving. The Quest 4 is great and we are going south looking for good winter sun. ( photos in my blog link below somewhere).

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back