Pitch protocol (1 Viewer)

Ridgewoodwoody

Free Member
Aug 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Were about to start this season trips and being new to motorhoming wondered what the protocol was for leaving electric cable, wastepipe and hoses behind on your pitch for when you take the van off for the day. I guess on most sites now you would have a designated pitch so not concerned about the pitch being take while we’re out just what the form was for leaving stuff on your pitch.
Grateful for advice.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Were about to start this season trips and being new to motorhoming wondered what the protocol was for leaving electric cable, wastepipe and hoses behind on your pitch for when you take the van off for the day. I guess on most sites now you would have a designated pitch so not concerned about the pitch being take while we’re out just what the form was for leaving stuff on your pitch.
Grateful for advice.

I've certainly used electrical cables behind as a type of pitch marker before. I tend to wrap it around the peg and stick the end in the pup tent just in case anyone is any doubt which pitch the tent is on.

Feb 17, 2017
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A Bit
Most C&MC sites are not designated pitches so you will need to leave some kind of a marker if you go of site for the day, we have a marker that we put over the pitch number post ourselves but any obvious marker that the pitch is taken will do

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Even though you have an allocated pitch don’t be surprised if someone takes it, I’d leave something on it like two chairs padlocked together.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
we always leave the disconnected electric cable and the outside doormat (and blocks if we are using them). There may not be allocated pitches on CMHC sites but everyone we have stayed in the wardens have to be told which pitch you are on so nobody should be able to take your pitch.

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
Done that but with just my surname in the regulation size letters and reg as garage name.
It's in the van at the mo so no pics at present.

bridgedino

Free Member
Sep 13, 2020
Fife
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
£9.99 on amazon. Couple of tent pegs to hold it upright

60A3D548-7151-452A-860E-6797C9CA59BB.jpeg

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
I have one of those reserved yellow things AND a MH shaped peg type thing, however i have put them in the garden shed as to date once we are on the pitch we don't move it.
Maybe when we get a toad/scooter/trailer/?? we may use them.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Just make or buy a reserved sign to leave on the pitch.

I have left ramps, chairs or tables in earlier days but not now as too many folk think they are theirs to take.

If you do leave a cable on the pitch make sure to unplug from the elh post so not live. Site wardens are likely to cut grass while you are away and not see the cable in long grass. It may also be a danger to children.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I leave my cable but unplugged and just looped over the electric post for safety. never had a problem.
And my levelling ramps if i use them, then I play the game of dare driving back in and up them without any guidance ::bigsmile:

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Even though you have an allocated pitch don’t be surprised if someone takes it, I’d leave something on it like two chairs padlocked together.
Only once had our pitch taken and that was in France. Despite our EHU cable and blocks being on it and comments from others, the girl who sited vans had insisted that we had left. The Dutch couple who had been given it were very apologetic. Wasn’t too bad though. We got a nicer pitch and a very nice bottle of wine.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I enlarged a photo of the van to A4 size, added “RESERVED FOR” and placed it inside a clear plastic wallet. Duck taped it to a piece of 6mm plywood with a plastic tie looped through a hole at the top: this can be hung from ehu bollard, fence post etc.
Two more holes drilled through the “wheels” have bolts into metal tent pegs with closed circular heads. These can be pushed into the ground or chain link fence but fold behind the plaque for storage.
If I had bought the bits it would cost approximately £1 but I had everything in my shed apart from the printed paper.
Gordon

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
On CAMC site you should not have a problem even if you left nothing. Once you choose a pitch you return to the office to collect the barrier fob. If the pitch is shown occupied then fob will not be available as it will be with the van who have gone out.
So the office would then know the pitch is occupied

still leave something on the pitch to show its occupied is good practice. If not a new visitor would see your pitch park up MH or caravan spend the next couple of hours setting everything up awning table and the like. Then they take a walk over to said office to then be told that pitch is occupied. Can you imagine the faces of the squatters being told to move. You may have the best pitch on the site and the late arrivals now on the pitch may not want to move. So Moral if the story. Find empty pitch go straight back to office to tell them the one you have chosen. That way you will not have set up camp and being told to break camp

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We once left our cable, duck boards and table on a pitch and when we came back a German van was on the pitch and was using all our stuff. It was sorted out amicably.

Another time, when we arrived back to our slightly sloping pitch, a caravan had arrived and was neatly arranged on the next pitch, USING OUR BLOCKS. It wasn’t so amicable this time! :LOL:

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I was told never leave your cables (they may disappear) but have left bike locked to post , not been on many sites so learning . But if I could not live without it I would keep it in the van

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
We have a registration plate which I screw to the pitch peg I use and electric drill for ease of fitting screws

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back