Free Member
Jan 13, 2013
Fleetwood
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since the 70s
Morning all, does anyone have one of the above systems, expensive I know but lots of POIs, but I want to know if Aires and Campsites are loaded if anyone has that info. Thanks Barrie

JimJams

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
East Sussex / Kent
Funster No
MH
RV, A Class
Exp
since 2003
You have many options on the Pioneer range. You can either decide on the Avic-F960DAB or the Avic-F160DAB which have as you mentioned loads of poi's but they do, yes have a number of campsites already listed in the current sofware..

OR you can decide on a AVH-3600DAB head unit or a AVH-7500BT motorised screen which is a simple CD/DVD/ Bluetooth head unit where you can then add the.. Pioneers Avic-F160 navigation Camper module.

You can then input the dimensions of the motorhome and also add in your own POI's or campsites etc...? they are all very similar in price and all very good.
I have the latest 7" Avic-F60 navigation system which is superb (y) and also having DAB+ digital radio its gets over the poor FM reception problem that cant be resolved!!

hope this helps...

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I'm very tempted..... Have an App radio 2 which is OK but a really terrible radio which is utterly carp. works well otherwise, though so it is a lot of money for what would basically be a better radio with POI's added. Unless we win the lottery, in which case we will be down in taunton getting that plus a growler fitted to the new Frankia/Concorde/whatever ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Palmeat

Free Member
Nov 6, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
Eddie Vanbitz has recently installed a Pioneer combo - AVH-X3600 head unit and separate DAB AVIC-F160 'Truck' sat nav. Have since been to the West Country, Port Grimaud and currently in Gower. I don't have any Campsites/Aires pre-loaded (if I do, I don't use them!), but you van add POI's via SD card. Pricey (c£1k total), but works very well on all fronts. Significantly better than my previous Snooper system. Hope this helps.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
When we bought our new to us Concorde it had a Pioneer AVIC-X1R head unit with a CDX P670 CD unit. However, the SAT NAV software (CD's I think) were not with it.
Radio reception is dire despite changing the aerial. Anyone any advice on how to improve the radio or where to get the SAT NAV software from without paying an arm and a leg?

JimJams

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
East Sussex / Kent
Funster No
MH
RV, A Class
Exp
since 2003
The radio reception I'm afraid has been an on going problem throughout the years with no real fix. We our selves have tried many, many, many aerials over the years with boosters etc.. with no joy. Blaupoint make a windscreen mounted aerial which seems to be the best out of a bad bunch!!

If you do decide to change the unit then DAB radio is a great fix and even with the simple windscreen mounted aerials they work very well and remember the signal is only getting better and better throughout Europe..

Pioneer stopped making the discs (with the latest mapping) for your unit in 2008. The disc set will cost you in the region of £280-£300 if you can still source a new one so quite expensive :(. I contacted Pioneer the other week for a customer and they don't have any..

My advise would be to look on Ebay and hopefully come across one there..

hope this helps...

OP
OP
Middy42

Middy42

Free Member
Jan 13, 2013
Fleetwood
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since the 70s
I don't have one yet, and if not loaded with Aires etc will probably not buy one. Barrie

JimJams

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
East Sussex / Kent
Funster No
MH
RV, A Class
Exp
since 2003
I understand..

The F160 Camper nav module have campsites and motorhome stop overs.. do remember you can input your own preferred Aires and favourite locations? All done from your laptop to the SD card..

James

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
We have one in our`s..... runs circles round our new`ish tom-tom..

Has all the aires and sites... places of interest, shops, garages for LPG, etc.. just about every thing thanks to the previous owner...

But this trip has proved on an occasion that it needs updating.. it`s 18 months or so old, and doubt it has been updated since new..

Has all the sizes and weight of the M.H.. installed...

If we ever sell the M.Home.... I`m going to take it out... :wink::rofl:

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We have the AVIC f130, if you are thinking of buying or fitting one or the f160 then bear in mind,
  • the sd cards used are almost irreplaceable, the cost is the equivalent of a new unit.
  • To update the poi you have to remove the sd card, so it has to be easily accessible
  • Map updates are not cheap, often you get a free update with the unit but it has to be used within 30 days.
They are accurate, easy to follow and use, but having owned one i would now go for a seperate sat nav unit Snooper etc something with free updates and easily updateable.

Have tried Copliot on a large phone 5in screen works well, but was not the caravan version. All the free nav i tried have had a few problems with map data or or the device.

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
I have a Pioneer head unit with F130 sat nav. Also there is a reversing camera attached. It is a great unit that sits in the double height radio slot on the Fiat dash. Providing the F130 unit (sat nav part) is accessible (mine's in the lift up flat on the fiat dash) there is no problem. You do need a PC (not Apple) to upgrade and upload your own POI's. All information on the SD card is backed up to the PC so you always keep a copy. You have the option to set up for your size and weight of motorhome. As old-mo said it will not be sold when I change motorhomes it's just too good! The downside is of course the cost, you pays your money etc. etc... PM me f you want more info.

Wixie

Free Member
Mar 31, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
M/H 5 years, 35+ years camping & caravaning
Couldn't agree more jemhorn. I have the same unit in my Ducato except Rapido installed mine in the roof of the glovebox! Not quite so accessible.
I recently "lost" my SD card inside the dashboard (don't ask) and after contacting Pioneer got this reply regarding making a copy on a new SD card from my backup:
"copying your backup file to a new SD-card would not work, as your current licenses are not compatible with the new SD-card, only the original one.
Backups are used to restore to an earlier state, in case there is a problem with one of the updates, or some necessary contents were uninstalled from the unit"

I have now "found" my SD card after taking half the dashboard to pieces! Be warned.

We are just back from Croatia and the sat nav worked beautifully all the way there and back. Not once was it threatened with expulsion out of the window! It even warns about traffic jams ahead and provides alternative routes, which I hadn't realised was available on this system. Highly recommended.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I use and rely on my Pioneer with the truck navigation. We we set off of our travels the RV is 32 foot long and we tow a RIB on a trailer that adds another 27 foot :Eeek: This year on the way back from the South of France the Pioneer took me to the West of Paris en route to Calais. Our friends travelling loosely with us didn't take notice of theirs and ran into heavy traffic which cost them three hours delay. It is frankly the first system that I have had which I trust sufficiently to defie my wife, sat with a map "You don't have life traffic data Darling lol"

We've added the Weaco/Dometic Twin lens camera so we have the best of both worlds as we have a downward facing camera for hooking up and close manovering, and can look over the trailer for reversing or looking down the road when driving.

I also like the Bluetooth audio streaming for listening to music when in the van, both when driving or just in and around the motorhome.

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Hi Eddie, Mine did the same when we came up from Auxerre heading for Calais. I thought it would have avoided Paris and routed via Troyes. Had a nice view of the Eiffel Tower though! Is it much of a job to get the Weaco camera wired up?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
No you do need to use two Amp100 switching boxes though. That way you get what I consider (personal opinion) the best truck navigation, built in double DIN unit with the best twin lens camera on the market.

I accept that there are, cheap ebay head units, that you can buy, and not pay tax or VAT on. They use knock off software. You can also buy cheap cameras to plug into them.

You can also buy crap Chinese motorhomes lol and not everyone wants one of those either.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back