Pilote service and mirror glass (1 Viewer)

philk

Free Member
Jul 21, 2011
Lancs
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Hi all, we came to France last Thursday, at the first payage the electric window packed in. I hunted down the fuses but all seemed ok, stupidly doing just an eye test. We rang Pilote in France and they could not have been more helpful. They told me which fuse it was, which did in my defence look ok :Blush: but we swapped on their advice for a 25 rather than the factory 20 amp as they have had issues. Ten minutes later they rang to make sure everything was ok and details of local dealers if required.

Today, a wagon getting a little giddy, clipped our left hand mirror. The body of the mirror is coloured plastic and will polish with some love and care, cutting paste and refinishing . The mirror glass is another story, its in bits but still in place. Has anyone got any ideas on replacements as I expect the factory unit to be more expensive than it should be :Eeek::Eeek:

Philk

Jun 15, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper Burford
Exp
Since early 2014
This is not looking promising but worth a shot! I've had the same issue with my wing mirror involving a lorry in France! I have the hanging down coach style mirrors on an 2012 Explorateur Diamond edition. The metal is marked but undamaged, glass in place but cracked all over. The heating and electrical parts still all work, so need to know if anyone has just ordered glass from somewhere to fix up, or bought the whole glass unit to pop in the frame. Any recommended websites to ask. Trying to avoid dealers at this stage.... :whistle:

Oct 16, 2018
CHESTERFIELD DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
PILOTE
Exp
Long enough
Could I suggest that you measure the glass size required and as a temporary measure buy a small mirror from Intermarche or Auchen and stick it to the broken glass until you can source a replacement Ducato (?) glass.

And fit mirror protectors to help stop anything else damaging the mirrors.

Here's one I did earlier with my Pilote mirror - I had protectors fitted .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
This is not looking promising but worth a shot! I've had the same issue with my wing mirror involving a lorry in France! I have the hanging down coach style mirrors on an 2012 Explorateur Diamond edition. The metal is marked but undamaged, glass in place but cracked all over. The heating and electrical parts still all work, so need to know if anyone has just ordered glass from somewhere to fix up, or bought the whole glass unit to pop in the frame. Any recommended websites to ask. Trying to avoid dealers at this stage.... :whistle:

You should be able to order a new mirror glass for about a tenner from eBay. Make sure that you buy one with the heating element already fitted so that you can clip the old plug straight into the new unit.

All the best,

Andrew

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Today, a wagon getting a little giddy, clipped our left hand mirror. The body of the mirror is coloured plastic and will polish with some love and care, cutting paste and refinishing . The mirror glass is another story, its in bits but still in place. Has anyone got any ideas on replacements as I expect the factory unit to be more expensive than it should be :Eeek::Eeek:
Try to find an auto accessory shop or mortor factors, they often have plastic mirrors that can be cut to size. They are not brilliant quality but will it get you home

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 15, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper Burford
Exp
Since early 2014
Wow! Thanks for all those quick replies. Keith, your sound effects were much more polite than mine! :D I was stationary when a massive lorry hit my mirror and I was surprised it survived! My moho is the A class type dangler mirrors that as far as I know you cant fit protectors on...not that I would want to be much wider anyway. I made it back to UK alright because I had some of that magic see though gorilla tape stashed away for emergencies. I'm going to get a piece of glass cut to fit in case this ever happens again, driving without that mirror would have been a pain. I was lucky, I had one decent piece of jigsaw glass and the top mirror (which wasn't damaged) to look through for my last 100 kms to the tunnel.

It appears my mirrors are by a company called Visions systems (a VS logo on the casing) which I can find no trace of, but that link you sent rb62 looks good for tracking that company down or finding out what kind of fix I need. (y)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi all, we came to France last Thursday, at the first payage the electric window packed in. I hunted down the fuses but all seemed ok, stupidly doing just an eye test. We rang Pilote in France and they could not have been more helpful. They told me which fuse it was, which did in my defence look ok :Blush: but we swapped on their advice for a 25 rather than the factory 20 amp as they have had issues. Ten minutes later they rang to make sure everything was ok and details of local dealers if required.

Philk

Given the excellent service Pilote gave you initially I am rather surprised you haven’t at least asked the price from them to replace

That would be where I would start

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back