Pilote P740GJ - Anyone have one or similar? (1 Viewer)

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
With the Missus on a day off, I made the fatal mistake at lunchtime of looking at a few mh dealers online. We have just finished :)

Over the course of 9 hours we have gone from being fairly certain about buying a Hymer A-class with a u-shaped lounge, to loving a 7.5m low profile with the big twin-type bed at the back.

This is the van for anyone interested:

bed.jpg cab.png floorplan.jpg outside.JPG

We had a Pilote A-Class about 10 years ago and loved it once at a destination (it was a death trap to drive lol), in fact we've both missed it since then.

But I know nothing about the newer ones.

Does anyone have a fairly new Pilote? Any issues?

Of course we'll be doing the usual view and test before making any decisions, but always good to hear others opinions :)

Cheers, David

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Very much the same layout as our Hobby, in fact we actually looked at one of those at Hayes Liesure in Wednesbury, nice vans but if i remember they were fairly new at the time and no second hand ones around anywhere (didnt want to buy new) Go for it Wissel, the room and storage is great ;)

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Cheers @Kool Kroozer

Not a layout we have had before, so good to know others like it.

What did you think of the Pilote when you viewed it?

The storage is one of our aims as looking to full-time. Garage needs to take a couple of electric mountain bikes - plus all the usual stuff :)

How do you find your big sun roof? It's my main reason for preferring the low-profile to the A-Class version.

One of my fav features about the Pilote is in the back. The rear windows seem a lot larger than in a lot of similar vans, plus the beds can be elevated at an angle making it a lovely place to sit and work with a laptop.

Anything about the layout of your van you don't like?

Cheers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Anything about the layout of your van you don't like?
We've recently traded in a Pilote G742 'A' Class for a Frankia. The thing I really didn't like about the Pilote was the huge over-engineered table. It made it quite difficult to get into the seats despite the fact that it slid in/out, up/down. On our new motorhome we ordered it without the fitted table and use a small foldable one instead.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Nice beds but little lounging and entertaining space especially in miserable weather.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
When i looked at the Pilote i was pretty impressed with a fair few features it had - like the slider rail for the TV, theseperate shower etc ... it has been a couple of yrs ago so cant remember exactly what others there were, but apart from not being able to get a look at a second hand one, the biggest thing that put the chocks on the Pilote was the size, its a tad longer than ours - which means nothing else would fit on the drive, and the width was the other issue, its the normal width of 2.3 m which also means a struggle to get it on our drive without me driving over my next door neighbours property :LOL: our Hobby is a couple of inches wider than a PVC and that was the big sell for us, but if room was not an issue for parking i could say the Pilote would be on our drive right now...Our big sunroof is Retro fit so does not open - would love it if it did, we love ours and the layout and wouldnt change it for anything... love the fact that you have a wardrobe each with shelving at the back too, pull out rails, pull out slider inbetween the two beds to make a massive double if needed with an infill cusion (which Tonka called a sex pillow :LOL:) room under the beds storage for 2 foldable electric bikes plus all the other crap you have to carry.. yes the windows in the bedroom are much bigger in the Pilote as we have storage cupbords all the way around the top of our bedroom walls (about 10 in total) so our windows are much smaller.. but if i remember dont the Pilotes beds fold up so you can sit up in bed reading or just chilling (great feature an would love that myself) Those Pilotes have always been a nice van but i think they have come on leaps an bounds with the interior over the last few yrs... There are so many other vans/Makes that seem to have the same woody colour interior (like Hymers/Cathargo etc) gonna upset a few by saying that:D and that woody colour (like a pine i may be wrong) is something niether of us can stand, so when we seen the different modern looking trims it really wowed us... go with your heart, but to me and Mrs K we would not change our layout, one can chill an read while the other (me:D2 can be having a kip) we can go to bed at different times without having to pull out bedding or having to make beds up ready, no climbing over the partner to go to the loo in the middle of the night (again me:D2) Bedroom closes off from the rest of the van with the bathroom so prance around naked (me again:D2) tons of storage, chilling space.. its not for everyones layout design but dont know why not - suppose its cos we are all different - its whatever tickles your fancy at the end of the day (y)

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We looked at the A-class version, just last week. Like you, we were debating between Pilote and Hymer. Pilote are so much less expensive and we particularly liked the décor and upholstery. I also liked the kitchen area compared to our current Hymer, which I find a bit awkward to work in, mainly because of the lozenge-shaped sink. In the Pilote, the gas rings are at the rear of the work surface, leaving quite a bit of usable work space in front.
We want this particular layout. Like you, we want to put the bikes in there, and we find the lounging area comfortable, very similar to that in our Hymer - although we're only 5ft 6in tall.
Against the Pilote - the one we looked at was not on an Al-Ko chassis - although I think you can order them. The light chassis can only be uprated to 3650, which leaves little payload, and the drive is not as good as the Al-Ko. All-in-all, although we thought they were very nice vans, they lacked the attention to detail which you feel in the Hymer. - The interior design was nowhere near as streamlined as the Hymer Dynamic Line, the bathroom was less substantial and smaller, my husband thinks the bodywork on the Hymer is much better, we like the ambient lighting in the Hymer, etc etc.
So, we've decided on the Hymer (even though this will mean buying in Germany, again, when we could have just nipped down the road to Darlaston.) We strongly prefer a LHD, in any case.
In summary - the Pilote is very nice, the quality appears to be good, and we do like the layout of the 740GJ, Hayes Leisure have a good reputation and are very pleasant to deal with, but maybe we're just stick-in-the muds.:unsure:

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
With the Missus on a day off, I made the fatal mistake at lunchtime of looking at a few mh dealers online. We have just finished :)

Over the course of 9 hours we have gone from being fairly certain about buying a Hymer A-class with a u-shaped lounge, to loving a 7.5m low profile with the big twin-type bed at the back.

This is the van for anyone interested:

View attachment 177823 View attachment 177824 View attachment 177825 View attachment 177826

We had a Pilote A-Class about 10 years ago and loved it once at a destination (it was a death trap to drive lol), in fact we've both missed it since then.

But I know nothing about the newer ones.

Does anyone have a fairly new Pilote? Any issues?

Of course we'll be doing the usual view and test before making any decisions, but always good to hear others opinions :)

Cheers, David

Hi David,

We picked up our new P740GJ last Monday and we are really chuffed with it.

There is just the two of us (no dogs either) so the van @ 3650kg is great for our Motorhome requirements albeit you do need to think about the contents of your rear garage or else you'll overload the rear axle. I think we have it mastered though.

The quality is fantastic and it seems that Pilote use quality parts in its construction too.

Drop me a note if you have any questions.

All the best,

Andrew

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Hi David,

We picked up our new P740GJ last Monday and we are really chuffed with it.

There is just the two of us (no dogs either) so the van @ 3650kg is great for our Motorhome requirements albeit you do need to think about the contents of your rear garage or else you'll overload the rear axle. I think we have it mastered though.

The quality is fantastic and it seems that Pilote use quality parts in its construction too.

Drop me a note if you have any questions.

All the best,

Andrew

It's looking more and more likely this is the van we will buy Andrew. After having it a week is there anything you don't like about it?

With the table slid back and against the side, can you easily more from the drivers seat into the back? Do the seats swivel without knocking into the table?

Thanks in advance, David.

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
We've just picked up a Pilote P740C sensation, lovely van and has a good feel of quality about it, ours is automatic and that has also been a bonus, positives for me was the payload, large freshwater and waste tank, the garage, a comfy bed and large fridge, the negative has been no spare wheel, we had to buy one as an extra, and no smoke and CO2 detectors which I find annoying, it wouldn't cost much to add them in, other than that very impressed (y)

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
We've just picked up a Pilote P740C sensation, lovely van and has a good feel of quality about it, ours is automatic and that has also been a bonus, positives for me was the payload, large freshwater and waste tank, the garage, a comfy bed and large fridge, the negative has been no spare wheel, we had to buy one as an extra, and no smoke and CO2 detectors which I find annoying, it wouldn't cost much to add them in, other than that very impressed (y)

Thanks for that @Dave K - always good to hear from a happy owner.

Regarding the spare wheel. Is there space under the van to store one, or does it need to be put in garage? (after buying of course)

Also, which dealer did you use and would you use them again?

On a side note I've been following your inverter thread. Is there any spare room above the batteries? (hard to tell from the images I've seen).

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for that @Dave K - always good to hear from a happy owner.

Regarding the spare wheel. Is there space under the van to store one, or does it need to be put in garage? (after buying of course)

Also, which dealer did you use and would you use them again?

On a side note I've been following your inverter thread. Is there any spare room above the batteries? (hard to tell from the images I've seen).

The spare has to go in the garage unfortunately but I'd rather not risk being without one so needs must.
We bought the van from SMC at the Norfolk show, jury is still out at the mo, the day we collected the van was a nightmare, nothing wrong with the van but their admin wasn't sorted, add to the fact we had travelled for 3 hours and still had to travel back I didn't appreciate being sat in the dealership for 4 hours.
We had an extra leisure battery and there is no room whatsoever in that area now, it also houses the heater and the electro bloc so it's full.
I see you are based in Cornwall, Davan in Weston Super Mare sell Pilote, don't know if you've got anywhere nearer though.
Dave.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
It's looking more and more likely this is the van we will buy Andrew. After having it a week is there anything you don't like about it?

With the table slid back and against the side, can you easily more from the drivers seat into the back? Do the seats swivel without knocking into the table?

Thanks in advance, David.

David,

My apologies as I've been off-line for a while.

It's a yes regarding the seats and the table. I am 6'2" and the missus 5'6" and we both find it incredibly easy to turn around and fit very comfortably into the table when it's in the fixed travel position. We checked out hundreds of vans (and seventeen dealers) and for us personally it was the best fit and combo.

Like Dave we bought our van from SMC but I have to admit that their admin was slicker than a greasy pole; everything went to plan and the guys did their relevant bits like clockwork. Very impressed indeed.

Personally speaking I think you should always order a P740GJ in the 3.65T guise (as a minimum) and the P740C version with the heavy Al-Ko chassis to help accommodate the extra two bed spaces and their passengers. That being said you can always upgrade the light chassis to 3.8T with the addition of air assist rear suspension and 16" alloy wheels but bear in mind that such an upgrade crunches about 40kg off the extra payload that you've just purchased (25kg for the alloys and 15kg for the air assist).

Unlike other motorhomers who just go for bling (that's my wife's department), I spent much of my time looking at the payload figures, rear overhangs, ground clearances and build quality. One of the main advantages of the Pilote MHs is that their chassis and chassis legs are not hanging way below the lower body skirt level so the relative ground clearance is fantastic. Still, the overhang is large and you will still need to consider what you place in the garage. My wife and I use the garage for two mountain bikes, Milenco Ramps, silver screen and our wet kit so the gross total is 65kg which translated turns into about 95kg in real time figures due to the distance that the total mass if from the rear of the axle. The two large wardrobes are also located just behind the rear axles so you will need to consider how you pack your vehicle in terms of what items you can store in the overhead lockers. There is lots of space but it still requires a sensible approach to ensure that you don't overload your axle weights.

Our new MH budget was set at £110,000 and we paid just £60,000 for the whole outfit including all of the goodies (and extra leisure battery) so based on that sound bite you may be thinking why we didn't buy a large Frankia or Hymer A-Class. The simple answer is that we scrutinised all of the vans to such an extensive level that when we compared the vans on an apples-for-apples basis then we simply couldn't see what we were getting for the extra wedge of cash. The Hymer range, albeit fantastic, was overpriced IMO and didn't offer anything special over the Pilote. I hope that doesn't sound terrible but I'm not the type of bloke to spend large sums of money on an image which in reality gives you nothing more than ............you fill in the gap..........?

As a footnote but I should finish by saying that we both love how the van can 'compartmentalise' to allow for a separate triple bedroom; separate shower & changing area; separate kitchen and a separate living area by the closure of the two doors which lie beyond the kitchen galley. Also, the roof is totally flat so it doesn't hold water at all while the electronic control system is nicely configured for dummies like me and is a pleasure to use.

I hope this helps, (and sorry to our Hymer chums for my rude outburst)

All the best,

Andrew

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
David,

It's a yes regarding the seats and the table. I am 6'2" and the missus 5'6" and we both find it incredibly easy to turn around and fit very comfortably into the table when it's in the fixed travel position. We checked out hundreds of vans (and seventeen dealers) and for us personally it was the best fit and combo.

Like Dave we bought our van from SMC but I have to admit that their admin was slicker than a greasy pole; everything went to plan and the guys did their relevant bits like clockwork. Very impressed indeed.

Personally speaking I think you should always order a P740GJ in the 3.65T guise (as a minimum) and the P740C version with the heavy Al-Ko chassis to help accommodate the extra two bed spaces and their passengers. That being said you can always upgrade the light chassis to 3.8T with the addition of air assist rear suspension and 16" alloy wheels but bear in mind that such an upgrade crunches about 40kg off the extra payload that you've just purchased (25kg for the alloys and 15kg for the air assist).

Unlike other motorhomers who just go for bling (that's my wife's department), I spent much of my time looking at the payload figures, rear overhangs, ground clearances and build quality. One of the main advantages of the Pilote MHs is that their chassis and chassis legs are not hanging way below the lower body skirt level so the relative ground clearance is fantastic. Still, the overhang is large and you will still need to consider what you place in the garage. My wife and I use the garage for two mountain bikes, Milenco Ramps, silver screen and our wet kit so the gross total is 65kg which translated turns into about 95kg in real time figures due to the distance that the total mass if from the rear of the axle. The two large wardrobes are also located just behind the rear axles so you will need to consider how you pack your vehicle in terms of what items you can store in the overhead lockers. There is lots of space but it still requires a sensible approach to ensure that you don't overload your axle weights.

Our new MH budget was set at £110,000 and we paid just £60,000 for the whole outfit including all of the goodies (and extra leisure battery) so based on that sound bite you may be thinking why we didn't buy a large Frankia or Hymer A-Class. The simple answer is that we scrutinised all of the vans to such an extensive level that when we compared the vans on an apples-for-apples basis then we simply couldn't see what we were getting for the extra wedge of cash. The Hymer range, albeit fantastic, was overpriced IMO and didn't offer anything special over the Pilote. I hope that doesn't sound terrible but I'm not the type of bloke to spend large sums of money on an image which in reality gives you nothing more than ............you fill in the gap..........?

As a footnote but I should finish by saying that we both love how the van can 'compartmentalise' to allow for a separate triple bedroom; separate shower & changing area; separate kitchen and a separate living area by the closure of the two doors which lie beyond the kitchen galley. Also, the roof is totally flat so it doesn't hold water at all while the electronic control system is nicely configured for dummies like me and is a pleasure to use.

All the best,

Andrew

Good post Andrew, seems like you've done enough research for both of us (y), I agree with the points you've made, we've looked at a lot of vans but there was something about the Pilote that made it seem right, coupled with the fact it ticked all of the boxes for us, they say it takes 3 vans to find the one you want so hopefully that rings true for us. The waste water empty point is a strange one, I think I'll have to make up some rigid pipe with a 90 degree bend on it and keep it in the garage, other than that we're very happy at the moment.

John Stanton

Free Member
Jul 11, 2017
Chipping Campden
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 (Heap of crap)
Exp
10 years
We looked at Pilote as a replacement for our Hymer and had the P740c on our short list (yes I know that's not the one that is the subject of this thread).

We totally agree that Pilote build quality looks very good so we have no doubt you'll be happy with your choice assuming you've done your homework with layouts etc.

They may not be quite up there with Hymer, but is the Hymer worth an extra £20-30,000 plus ? Not in our view which is why we didn't buy another Hymer (as well as issues we'd had with quality and the factory fitted water feature that they seem to fit to random Hymers these days ;)).

Good luck with your purchase if you go for the Pilote, we went for a Rapido in the end but it was a very close run thing.

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
The spare has to go in the garage unfortunately but I'd rather not risk being without one so needs must.
We bought the van from SMC at the Norfolk show, jury is still out at the mo, the day we collected the van was a nightmare, nothing wrong with the van but their admin wasn't sorted, add to the fact we had travelled for 3 hours and still had to travel back I didn't appreciate being sat in the dealership for 4 hours.
We had an extra leisure battery and there is no room whatsoever in that area now, it also houses the heater and the electro bloc so it's full.
I see you are based in Cornwall, Davan in Weston Super Mare sell Pilote, don't know if you've got anywhere nearer though.
Dave.

Thanks for that Dave. Think I'll personally forget a spare unless there's a place a bracket can be fitter under the van for one. I'll just be in UK for the next 5 years or so and have good breakdown cover. Maybe I'll keep one of those foam inflaters for emergency's.

I did see the battery/heater cupboard open in a video, but was hard to see exactly how much room was spare (did look quite tight).

I will give Daven a go, but doubt I'll see this van in the flesh until the show at the NEC. Not an issue as we have a van and not planning on needing the bigger one until next Summer (plan is to go full-time).

Thanks for your help, David

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for that Dave. Think I'll personally forget a spare unless there's a place a bracket can be fitter under the van for one. I'll just be in UK for the next 5 years or so and have good breakdown cover. Maybe I'll keep one of those foam inflaters for emergency's.

I did see the battery/heater cupboard open in a video, but was hard to see exactly how much room was spare (did look quite tight).

I will give Daven a go, but doubt I'll see this van in the flesh until the show at the NEC. Not an issue as we have a van and not planning on needing the bigger one until next Summer (plan is to go full-time).

Thanks for your help, David

No problem David, if you need any more info or pictures then just get in touch.

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
David,

All the best,

Andrew

Great post Andrew - thanks so much for the detail :)

You've probably answered one of my biggest doubts about the bed layout. I was a little worried that it wouldn't be long enough to be comfy, but you're 2" taller than me so a good sign. I know one side is a little shorter, but the Missus is as well so not an issue :)

I would def take the 3650 option. Already worked out the weight we will carry in the garage will be 120kg. A little more than yourself but should be fine I think.

Glad you mentioned the overhang. Whereas we have had most types of motorhome over the years, none have been as long as the 740 and it has been on my mind.

Very encouraging that you picked the Pilote over pricier offerings. I was originally looking at a Hymer A-class but liked the Pilote (on paper) straight away. Very much looking forward to spending some time in one before pulling the trigger, but we have had a Pilote A-class in the past so have an idea what to expect (best van we have owned apart from it drove awful - going back a while now).

Battery wise I'll be ripping the original out and fitting around 300Ah of lithium. As I mentioned above, this van is being bought to full-time in, and as I'll be working from it (work online) I need to power a couple of laptops and satellite broadband. In theory I could use up to 100Ah in a day and we want the option of being able to spend at least a few days at a time off grid.

Funny you mentioned the flat roof, as this is one of our must haves. Need as much flat space as possible for solar. Also being able to close a door and have two rooms I think is a must for long-term use. Did you take the option on the rear bed so the end rises like a sun lounger? Something we both really like.

Again, thanks for writing in so much detail - really helpful. Now if you could just plan a weekend down in Cornwall :)

Cheers, David

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
No problem David, if you need any more info or pictures then just get in touch.

Actually Dave, while your routing around in the battery box, the dimensions of the space for batteries would be a great help if you don't mind?

Cheers, David

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Actually Dave, while your routing around in the battery box, the dimensions of the space for batteries would be a great help if you don't mind?

Cheers, David

No problem mate, I'll have a measure at the weekend (y)

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Good morning Pilote mates,

I've just popped out to take a few pics of the roof and of the battery storage area too. I'm not sure how clear it is but I've placed a 30cm rule on the water heating unit to help with the scale etc.

David: We do have the two beds that fold up near the header boards to form a sun lounger-style bed for reading. They are really useful to have but I believe they come as standard on the Sensation-specced vehicles.

The larger of the two beds (near side rear) is exactly 200cm long and the other bed is sub-190cm so there is loads of space for the likes of a 6-footer, plus. If you place the additional mini-mattress (supplied with the sensation spec) inbetween the two main beds then it becomes a genuine Queen size unit; fabulous it is and by far the best bed we've seen on any MH too date.

The other thing to consider is that the MY2018 models will come with a number of upgrades to what I have currently, including:

1. The addition of a twin floor system with a 50mm air gap.
2. The waste water tank will become an integrated part of the twin floor.
3. The underside electrical connections will be water ingress protected and threaded within the twin floor, as will the gas pipes and electrical wires too.
4. The rear bumper will be split into multiple segments to help reduce accident repair costs. (The current MY17 unit is a single piece item so you damage one corner and the whole thing needs replacing, within reason.
5. The floor will be directly bolted to the chassis legs to provide increase rigidity to the frame.
6. Almost forgot, the twin camera rear system (if purchased as an option) will be mounted in a GRP unit for 2018-models.

................so if you are thinking of taking delivery of a new vehicle in 2018 then it will likely come with the new spec unless you buy a 2017 stock van. There is the chance that the retail cost will increase but I'm not aware if the 2018 price list has been announced yet. It's a bit of a gamble.

Other than that guys I have nothing else to report :)

All the best,

Andrew

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    101 KB · Views: 107
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    97.9 KB · Views: 103
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    113 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Good morning Pilote mates,

I've just popped out to take a few pics of the roof and of the battery storage area too. I'm not sure how clear it is but I've placed a 30cm rule on the water heating unit to help with the scale etc.

David: We do have the two beds that fold up near the header boards to form a sun lounger-style bed for reading. They are really useful to have but I believe they come as standard on the Sensation-specced vehicles.

The larger of the two beds (near side rear) is exactly 200cm long and the other bed is sub-190cm so there is loads of space for the likes of a 6-footer, plus. If you place the additional mini-mattress (supplied with the sensation spec) inbetween the two main beds then it becomes a genuine Queen size unit; fabulous it is and by far the best bed we've seen on any MH too date.

The other thing to consider is that the MY2018 models will come with a number of upgrades to what I have currently, including:

1. The addition of a twin floor system with a 50mm air gap.
2. The waste water tank will become an integrated part of the twin floor.
3. The underside electrical connections will be water ingress protected and threaded within the twin floor, as will the gas pipes and electrical wires too.
4. The rear bumper will be split into multiple segments to help reduce accident repair costs. (The current MY17 unit is a single piece item so you damage one corner and the whole thing needs replacing, within reason.
5. The floor will be directly bolted to the chassis legs to provide increase rigidity to the frame.
6. Almost forgot, the twin camera rear system (if purchased as an option) will be mounted in a GRP unit for 2018-models.

................so if you are thinking of taking delivery of a new vehicle in 2018 then it will likely come with the new spec unless you buy a 2017 stock van. There is the chance that the retail cost will increase but I'm not aware if the 2018 price list has been announced yet. It's a bit of a gamble.

Other than that guys I have nothing else to report :)

All the best,

Andrew

Thanks Andrew. The bed sounds ideal as just measured our current van bed and this is 2.5cm longer. The queen size is what we want as we have it now. As the dog will creep up in the night, we need the space :)

Thanks for the images. I was hoping I could easily fit 4 x 100w solar panels to the roof, from your image I can see that 6 wouldn't be a problem (not saying I'll fit 6). Also thanks for the battery box image. It looks like 2 x Victron 160Ah lithium batteries would fit fine (as long as high enough). These batteries are H317 W335 D228mm. The charger and fuse box combo (I assume) on the Pilote will be removed and replaced with the chargers I need.

We were planning on the 2018 model anyway, as like the new light colour scheme in the 2018 brochure. Wasn't aware of the 50mm floor gap on next years model - but this could be a lifesaver.

As well as fitting the batteries and chargers, I'll need bigger cables between the leisure and starter battery. I know the ones already fitted won't be enough, but with a 50mm gap it should hopefully be pretty easy to run a new one.

Must sound nuts to most people - buying a brand new van then ripping most of the electrics out - but needs must and all that :)

Thanks for your help,
David

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Hi David,

I have been out to measure up for you and based on the current configuration you will not be able to fit either of the Victrons since the battery compartment is only 210mm in depth. That said, it has a false floor which has extensive wiring looms located underneath it, but; if you were to relocate the wires and remove the false floor then that would give you a new depth of 365mm , i.e this is the actual floor-to-seat figure once the piece of wood supporting the batteries is removed (and plenty of height for your Victrons).

If you refer to my new pic, below, then you'll see the small seat which forms the L-shaped Lounge (only available on the sensation spec). This has an internal volume of (L)500mm x (W)470mm x (H)365mm plus it has a large rear cavity which leads directly to the battery compartment. You may also observe from my pic that the top frame of the seat has multiple venting slots so this could be an ideal option/location for one of the Victron Batteries.

One important point to note is that the stats for the MY18 vans will remain the same as the figures quoted above since it's only the lowering of the floor onto the chassis which will create the extra 50mm air gap and not a change in the internal dimensions of the van.

The dual floor will certainly make life easy for you in terms of your wiring plans.

Drop me a note if you need anything else.

All the best,

Andrew

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    148.3 KB · Views: 87
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    143.4 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

Cuto's

Free Member
Sep 16, 2016
Stourbridge
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650C
Exp
"Did you take the option on the rear bed so the end rises like a sun lounger? Something we both really like."

We have this on our P650C, New from April this year. Love the van and the quality of the Pilote workmanship. We have only had a couple of issues and they have both been Fiat issues, which to be fair they sorted out very quickly.

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Hi David,

I have been out to measure up for you and based on the current configuration you will not be able to fit either of the Victrons since the battery compartment is only 210mm in depth. That said, it has a false floor which has extensive wiring looms located underneath it, but; if you were to relocate the wires and remove the false floor then that would give you a new depth of 365mm , i.e this is the actual floor-to-seat figure once the piece of wood supporting the batteries is removed (and plenty of height for your Victrons).

If you refer to my new pic, below, then you'll see the small seat which forms the L-shaped Lounge (only available on the sensation spec). This has an internal volume of (L)500mm x (W)470mm x (H)365mm plus it has a large rear cavity which leads directly to the battery compartment. You may also observe from my pic that the top frame of the seat has multiple venting slots so this could be an ideal option/location for one of the Victron Batteries.

One important point to note is that the stats for the MY18 vans will remain the same as the figures quoted above since it's only the lowering of the floor onto the chassis which will create the extra 50mm air gap and not a change in the internal dimensions of the van.

The dual floor will certainly make life easy for you in terms of your wiring plans.

Drop me a note if you need anything else.

All the best,

Andrew

Thanks again Andrew - really helpful.

So it "looks" like I'll have 2 possible options if I go the Victron Lithium route. Either re-route all the cables around the side if enough play to new fuse box, or lower just half the floor to tuck the wires under and fit battery where it is and one under small seat. Cool.

Don't think the Victron Lithium batteries need ventilation like a normal battery - but I'll double check this.

Been a good day in terms of planning with the help from yourself and @Dave K

Besides a few of my biggest doubts about the Pilote 740 range being quashed, I think I've changed my mind on how I'll get reliable internet now as well.

Instead of relying primarily on satellite broadband, now leaning towards primary system using 4G. This should be faster and better 95% of the time, then I'll have a portable satellite internet setup as a back up for when needed (plus WiFi antenna for when available). The router I'll use to give WiFi all over van can have a small NAS attached to it, so I'll have a good backup for my work and it will double as a media server with all our music and films available to laptops, tablets or phones.

Best part is, it will save me about 35Ah per day (oh, and about £3k :))

Again, thanks for the help. Hopefully I won't have too many more questions :)

Cheers, David

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
"Did you take the option on the rear bed so the end rises like a sun lounger? Something we both really like."

We have this on our P650C, New from April this year. Love the van and the quality of the Pilote workmanship. We have only had a couple of issues and they have both been Fiat issues, which to be fair they sorted out very quickly.

Good to hear someone else is happy with a new Pilote.

Anything about it you don't like so far? Which dealer and are you happy with them?

Thanks, David

Bugsy_

Free Member
Aug 15, 2017
Funster No
Hi,
We have a polite 730G. It has a large island bed and garage.
I installed some brackets in the garage and can fit easily 3 bikes in it plus the other stuff (chairs parasols etc).
We had the 6 speed 180hp engine and this thing is quick. Almost too quick.

Quality inside is nice, everything still looks like new and nothing broken off yet. It's a 2011 model , 3850kg

We're still away in Europe but heading home today. Love the camper. It was our first and think we lucked out with this model.

Being frugal in power and water we have managed 6 days off grid. The solar panel keeps the batteries topped up.

We did take a spare wheel to Europe just in case....it does fit in the garage as well.

We might be selling it though. We have a couple long Australia trips booked (flying!) in the next year and won't get much chance to use the Pilote so thought it might be worth selling rather than having it parked up for most the year.

Good luck.....

Stefan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back