Geoff Green

Free Member
Apr 10, 2012
Wigan, Lancs
Funster No
MH
VAN Conversion
Exp
We seen a new Pilote Motorhome that we like. Never had this make before and before we order one does any Fun Members own a Pilote Motorhome or know whats good or bad about them. We welcome your views and comments.
Thanks Geoff & Trina Green.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Ours is fiat based with a 2.8jtd engine, interior build quality seems good and it drives well with plenty of power, pulls a fiat panda which you would not know is there.

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
We bought a Pilote Reference P716 with around 6,000 miles on the clock at the back end of last year.

We are very pleased with it and despite it having some minor problems that have now been resolved, rattles and cupboard doors needing adjustment, it drives very well and I would recommend it to anyone.

There are a few things to watch out for and check -

No spare wheel when we bought it but I've fitted one underneath and the 'gunk' repair kit has been consigned to history.

Check the payload is satisfactory for what you need to carry – do NOT take the word of the Dealer/Salesman but make sure it's been weighed and you have a weighbridge certificate.

The interior lights on my Pilote were a combination of LED and Halogen – I've changed them all to LED at a cost of around £20.

My Pilote has the 150 Multi-jet engine and once up to 6th gear, at around 40 mph, there's rarely any need to change gear and we are averaging around 26 mpg.

I have written a blog, my first attempt so don't expect too much, about the Pilote – www.keithchesterfield.blogspot.com

:france::france::france::france:

OP
OP
G

Geoff Green

Free Member
Apr 10, 2012
Wigan, Lancs
Funster No
MH
VAN Conversion
Exp
Pilote Spare wheel and under carrier. The price

We bought a Pilote Reference P716 with around 6,000 miles on the clock at the back end of last year.

We are very pleased with it and despite it having some minor problems that have now been resolved, rattles and cupboard doors needing adjustment, it drives very well and I would recommend it to anyone.

There are a few things to watch out for and check -

No spare wheel when we bought it but I've fitted one underneath and the 'gunk' repair kit has been consigned to history.

Check the payload is satisfactory for what you need to carry – do NOT take the word of the Dealer/Salesman but make sure it's been weighed and you have a weighbridge certificate.

The interior lights on my Pilote were a combination of LED and Halogen – I've changed them all to LED at a cost of around £20.

My Pilote has the 150 Multi-jet engine and once up to 6th gear, at around 40 mph, there's rarely any need to change gear and we are averaging around 26 mpg.

I have written a blog, my first attempt so don't expect too much, about the Pilote – www.keithchesterfield.blogspot.com

:france::france::france::france:

Hi the spare wheel and carrier when fitted to a new Pilote motorhome is over £900. Just wondering where you purchased yours and what it cost.
Thank you for replying its very helpful. Geoff

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I have an A class Explorateur 733 based on fiat 3.0 ltr. Generally very pleased with it quality seems good. The only thing I have had to do is uprate the front suspension with VB comfort springs.

With the 3.0 ltr engine and the drop down bed the front dipped considerably and was riding on the bump stops making for a very uncomfortable ride. new springs have sorted this and the vehicle is now level and rides well.

I believe an upgrade to the front suspension is offered by Pilote as an optional extra on new vehicles and you should seriously consider it.

John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Hi the spare wheel and carrier when fitted to a new Pilote motorhome is over £900. Just wondering where you purchased yours and what it cost.
Thank you for replying its very helpful. Geoff
Is it an Alko chassis and is that price for the one that goes on the rear extension?

I built my own for a 16" wheel to go in front of the axle as I don't have room behind for the rear drop down carrier. It has been on over a year now through two MOT's and it still looks like the day I fitted it having gathered no dirt
CA_04071316391915-M.jpg

£899 to you :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Pilote is a well known and well-regarded brand made in three trim/quality levels: Aventura, Référance and Explorateur, the last being the most expensive which also has a 'diamond' version. The company is based near Nantes.
Groupe Pilote owns a number of marques (listed in ascending order of quality/price).

French
Moovéo
Bavaria
Pilote
LeVoyageur

German
Frankia
RMB

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
We have had our Reference 716 for a year now and we have spent approximately 9 months away in it. So far we have not had any issues at all with it, build quality is very good, fit and finish is OK no gaps, and other than the usual rattles you get in any van associated with travelling on bumpy old roads I would have no hesitation in recommending them.

We have been in Portugal for most of the winter in it and have just returned to the UK and had our first habitation check done by Mark of CLS who said that he loved it LOL absolutely no issues found.

We did have the flue swept on the fridge last year after it had been running on LPG for about six months as recommended by Dometic, didn't take long and done under warranty, so no costs involved.

We do have two batteries and two solar panels as we use aires quite a lot and also Gaslow. All in our opinion worth while options.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Geoff,
We bought our first Pilote , a Galaxy 27 A class back 11 years ago (because wanted a Hymer and at the time Hymer didn't do a right hand drive with an english body i.e, hab door on the left but Pilote did with the same layout) , kept her 7 years never had a problem other than basic service then tried down sizeing didn't work, so now / last year bought another Pilote, this time a Reference 622 basically the same model as before as the layout suited us but a bit newer , apart from a wiring problem it seems as good as our original .
So far can't fault Pilote.
:sin: Terry:sin:

Sep 24, 2013
Torbay, Devon
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1992
Even though at the moment I have an Autosleeper, I have had Pilote in the past, it is the only make of motorhome that in the 4 years I kept it nothing went wrong, nothing fell off and it did not have to be returned to the dealers for any reason and I would certainly buy another.
Don

OP
OP
G

Geoff Green

Free Member
Apr 10, 2012
Wigan, Lancs
Funster No
MH
VAN Conversion
Exp
Pilote Spare Wheel

Is it an Alko chassis and is that price for the one that goes on the rear extension?

I built my own for a 16" wheel to go in front of the axle as I don't have room behind for the rear drop down carrier. It has been on over a year now through two MOT's and it still looks like the day I fitted it having gathered no dirt
CA_04071316391915-M.jpg

£899 to you :ROFLMAO:

Hi Thank you for replying. Not sure what chassis it on. Its the new Reference 600 A class with end bathroom. I will enquire but at the Newark show last month i was told you could have a spare wheel as a extra. I was surprised:whatthe: at the cost of around £900.
Thank you Geoff.

OP
OP
G

Geoff Green

Free Member
Apr 10, 2012
Wigan, Lancs
Funster No
MH
VAN Conversion
Exp
Who are CLS

We have had our Reference 716 for a year now and we have spent approximately 9 months away in it. So far we have not had any issues at all with it, build quality is very good, fit and finish is OK no gaps, and other than the usual rattles you get in any van associated with travelling on bumpy old roads I would have no hesitation in recommending them.

We have been in Portugal for most of the winter in it and have just returned to the UK and had our first habitation check done by Mark of CLS who said that he loved it LOL absolutely no issues found.

We did have the flue swept on the fridge last year after it had been running on LPG for about six months as recommended by Dometic, didn't take long and done under warranty, so no costs involved.

We do have two batteries and two solar panels as we use aires quite a lot and also Gaslow. All in our opinion worth while options.

Hi. Thank you for replying great to hear you are pleased with Pilote. Who are CLS and where are they based, do they supply new Pilote Motorhomes.
Thank you again Geoff.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Hi - Trophychap's wife here!

Hitherto unprecedented though this is, I agree with wot he said. :roflmto:

WE had ours from Hayes as they are quite near us, however they aren't that close to Wigan - Peter, (John's Cross Peter) is there no-one a bit further north than Wednesbury ?

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
That thought DID cross my mind Peter!

We were/are WELL happy with Hayes.

OP
OP
G

Geoff Green

Free Member
Apr 10, 2012
Wigan, Lancs
Funster No
MH
VAN Conversion
Exp
Pilotes at Hayes

Hi. Thank you for replying. did you buy a new Pilote from Hayes and is it a large set up. We will have a drive down . We bought several new motorhomes from Brownhills at newark which is a lot further than Hayes. The last one came from Derby Motorhome Plus so really don't see Hayes being a problem if the service is good.

How are they on part exchange with pricing, sometimes dealers just offer silly prices. Went to SMC in Newark 2 years ago to buy a new Auto-Sleeper and the trade in price was silly compared to Motor home Plus. SMC sell Pilote but not keen to go back.

Are you by any chance going to the Peterborough show if so we like to catch up and have a chat about Pilots with you.

Thank you for replying Geoff & Trina.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Hi. Thank you for replying. did you buy a new Pilote from Hayes and is it a large set up.

Yes, No - large enough to cope well, small enough to care. Old established; well thought of in the trade as well as customers.

We will have a drive down . We bought several new motorhomes from Brownhills at newark which is a lot further than Hayes. The last one came from Derby Motorhome Plus so really don't see Hayes being a problem if the service is good.

How are they on part exchange with pricing, sometimes dealers just offer silly prices.

Good and very fair. :thumb:

Went to SMC in Newark 2 years ago to buy a new Auto-Sleeper and the trade in price was silly compared to Motor home Plus. SMC sell Pilote but not keen to go back.

Are you by any chance going to the Peterborough show if so we like to catch up and have a chat about Pilots with you.

No - and Hayes aren't on the Exhibitor's list that I can see. Neither of us know any pilots now (though I used to be acquainted with Ayrton Senna's private pilot) - but we do have ex BA Air Crew as friends! (Chief Stewardess and a Radio Operator) LOL :roflmto:

Thank you for replying Geoff & Trina.

Why don't you ring and check what they may have in stock before travelling? And Ikea isn't far and probably a good place for lunch !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back