Pilote Explorateur G742 A class (1 Viewer)

Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
Just going to look at one this weekend , has anyone got advice on what to look for? apart for the normal checks.
Are Pilote motorhomes similar quality to our current Rapido.

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Having owned both a Rapido and a Pilote my personal opinion is the build quality is very similar although our Rapido was a 2003 coachbuilt and the Pilote is a 2014 Explorateur G741 A class. Looking at some mods that were done by the previous owner of our Pilote I would say check that the latches that hold any outside locker doors up do the job and also if it has the curved cupboard door under the sink in the kitchen that it latches closed properly.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
⬆⬆ What he said. Decent build quality

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
KUSKUS
Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
thanks for your advise on latches, I looked at one previously and the door handle on bathroom door was all loose and many of the cupboards hinges and catches were all worn and lots of play in the doors. do you think its just that one had a lot of use?

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
What layout is the G742 you are looking at? Our G741 has a bathroom across the back and has a domestic type door handle which has no play in it. Is the handle different? Our cupboard latches have a lever in the handle are are all nice and tight. Ours doesnt look like its been used that much so they might wear over time. What age is ghe one you are looking at?

OP
OP
KUSKUS
Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
Its a 2011 G742 LGJ single beds at the back , strange perhaps this has been lived in for a bit and worn, seating not looking particularly worn though. has done 51000 miles , I would wait for another to come along but there like hens teeth!

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We had a Rapido panel van conversion 2012 and now have a 2017 Pilote panel van conversion, I would say build quality is about the same, but can recommend the customer service we received from Pilote. (y) Bob.

Jun 15, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper Burford
Exp
Since early 2014
We have the 2012 Diamond edition of the G742, and absolutely love it. The quality of almost everything seems equal to all the best similar vehicles we looked at at the time.

Because we didn’t get too many records from our seller, we had everything done on purchase, brake fluid, Alde wet heating fluid, chassis service etc etc, and so far, so good.

The only unexpected issue was that the dometic fridge slowly failed, first on electric, then 12v while travelling, then gas despite servicing, and a couple new parts. The new version of the fridge is great with doors that magically open from either side, but cost a fortune!

All of our cabinets/locks are fine, but we did have to get the seller to fix the electric habitation door locking. A couple of wires were broken, probably from constant opening and closing, but apparently even something like that can send incorrect signals to the vehicles computer brainbox, and make error messages misleading.

You’re right, they do seem to be like hens teeth to find! We’re keeping ours for now and can’t imagine how we’re going to ever ‘upgrade’. ?

By the way, the heating system is great....very toasty in winter! ??

OP
OP
KUSKUS
Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
thanks very much for your advise I will go and have a look at this one and report back.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We had a Pilote apart from the bed issues I did find that the ply panels that were under the seats generated a lot of squeaks when on the move. Also used the woollen side of Velcro to stop cupboards doors rattling. Spent ages trying to stop them. Better put together than the Swift we had before but the Laika we have now is streets ahead as regards build quality. Seat bases are actually screwed and downed into place and made of 15mm ply.

We visited the Pilote Factory and had a very enjoyable afternoon being shown round all the departments. Just wish I could have got my hands on the guy that fitted the electric bed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back