Piggin MH locked me out, This is a bit long (1 Viewer)

whereru

Free Member
Jun 16, 2014
Paignton, Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Has this happened to anyone else.

I was staying at a Caravan Club site the other night because I had to be in Exeter by 06.00 and would have disturbed my neighbours leaving my hose at 05.00. I was all ready to bed down but thought I would use the loo before I got changed, got back to the van after attending to my ablutions to find the piggin thing had locked me out, of cause I had already locked the cab and window. Through the door window I could see my bag with my phone, the keys were hanging in their proper place. It was about 21.45 and the whole site had gone to bed, I went to see if the warden was available but there was no answer to my knock, I was getting worried by know and cold, the worst thing was I could have done with a drink and I could see my chilled wine sitting on the table.
I managed to collar a man going back to his caravan, he lent me his phone when I explained what had happened, I had to phone my sister (who was in bed), she drove to my house to pick up my spare keys, the only problem was she didn't really know were the camp site was so I said I would meet her on the road. I knew there was a barrier in place so the man with the phone gave me the number because mine was in the van. It would take my sister about 45 minutes to get to me so I thought I would have a walk to the road just to keep warm. While I was at the barrier the warden and his good lady came back, I explained what had happened and was a little shocked at the ladies reply, she said in a very arrogant snooty voice "Make sure you lock the barrier after you because we don't want travellers coming in" then they walked off leaving me a little put out to say the least and also thinking my membership pays them to provide a service to members or am I wrong, I know they had finished work but I thought they could have at least offered the use of a torch.
Anyway I started to walk to the Main road to meet my sister, by now it was pitch black there so I went as far as a dared and found a lamp post next to a small roundabout, I thought that would be the safest place to stand, there wasn't much traffic but the cars that did pass slowed and gave me an odd look, like what the bloody hell is a middle aged woman doing standing under a lamp post at the side if the road in the middle of no wear. A farmer on a tractor passed and asked if I was ok or needed assistance, I explained I was waiting for my sister and would be OK thinking she would be with me very soon. Half an hour later she finally found me but the story wasn't over, we tried to get back onto the site but couldn't open the barrier because it has a bloody padlock on it, the sort with a barrel with numbers but there was no light to see the bloody numbers, so with her headlights on full we finally managed to open the piggin thing. We put the barrier back in place but didn't close the padlock because we didn't want to go through the same rigmarole when I let her out. When she left she said she would let herself out and lock the barrier so I could get to bed. I was just getting settled when there was a knock at the door, it was my sister someone had locked the bloody barrier, she couldn't see the numbers with her lights this time because she was the wrong side of the post so off we go again with a torch. By the time I got to bet it was gone 01.30 and I had to be up at 05.00.

OP
OP
whereru

whereru

Free Member
Jun 16, 2014
Paignton, Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
The van locked itself, I was wondering if this has happened to others in the past or is a common problem. Would it be safe to hide an emergency key outside the van or dose that sound a bit daft

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
The van locked itself, I was wondering if this has happened to others in the past or is a common problem. Would it be safe to hide an emergency key outside the van or dose that sound a bit daft

Yes it happened to us, we were locked out, I think it was because the door handle inside was not in the horizontal position , but slightly "off key" Luckily we had a set of keys with us, we now never go anywhere with out a set of keys!, or we leave a cab door unlocked

OP
OP
whereru

whereru

Free Member
Jun 16, 2014
Paignton, Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
I can understand having a barrier for security but it needs to be a bit more user friendly than an old fashioned barrel padlock with no light to see the numbers, there was a solar powered light above the lock that had run out of power also the padlock wasn't the easiest to manoeuvre.

barearse

Free Member
Dec 31, 2012
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Just starting
Zip lock spare keys under chassis where only you know .

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
We learned to our cost a couple of years ago never expect help from Caravan Club, you can be disappointed , a good idea to have a habitation key safely hidden somewhere.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
whereru

whereru

Free Member
Jun 16, 2014
Paignton, Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Just need to get another hab key cut, can't hide the spare because I need it if I take my mum & dad out, dad doesn't always want to come out with us, prefers a bit of peace & quiet round the van so I leave him the spare keys.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Have to say you are very considerate to your neighbours to do that(y) ?? Most people I know, myself included don't even worry about what the neighbours think and come and go as we please:whistle:

OP
OP
whereru

whereru

Free Member
Jun 16, 2014
Paignton, Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
My drive runs under my neighbours bedroom, it's OK driving the car out but manoeuvring the MH out is a bit noisy at 5 in the morning.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Happened to me too but I found the cause - it was Sheba my Lurcher. She could also open the door but only when I didn't want her to.

OP
OP
whereru

whereru

Free Member
Jun 16, 2014
Paignton, Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
I'm so glad my dogs weren't locked in the MH or they would have had the whole site awake, they don't like seeing me outside the van, they think I should be inside waiting on them.

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
Found this out with mine.If I lock doors with central locking when inside. if I don't unlock with fob and just open habitation door once it is shut it will stay locked.nearly locked myself a couple of times :rolleyes:.Luckily my other half was still in the van:)

Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
Often locked ourselves out. Hate these central locking systems that include habitation door. Always have to take keys with us.

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
I think a lot of vans would like a self-locking system...

I think Eddie Vanbitz might sell them as Anti-Shiftzz mechanisms... :sneaky::sneaky::sneaky:
:whistle::whistle::whistle:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
getting into van in Portugal after being locked out-fortunately under-bed locker wasn't locked.

Attachments

• breaking_into_the_van [800x600].jpg
    breaking_into_the_van [800x600].jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 20
Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Buy one of those magnetic key boxes from any motor accessories shop, give the key a spray of WD 40 and pop it up inside a chassis rail or somewhere out of sight .. Sorted..

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
Sorry to hear about your ordeal whereru ,must've been awful. We've only been motor homing since April and so far nothing like this has happened to us thankfully. However it's a warning to us all and I for one will be just that little bit more careful from now on. I am a bit paranoid about keys as it happens and always keep them on my person whether inside or outside the van.... or do I ?
Time will tell spose. Ttfn

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I have a spare hab door key on a neck tie, the same thing as I use on my bike. This is attached to the main van keys, until we go away, then it goes around my neck. In the unfortunate position of going out and losing/dropping/misplacing the main bunch somewhere, we can always get in.
As for the warden issue, are they supposed to be at beck and call 24/7? They wont even come out (usually), even if the hook up trips out after hours, on saying that, I have seen the opposite on many occasions.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Might stay with C&CC then as there is a warden on duty (even if not in the office) 24/7. EHU tripping out could be a disaster for us.... we have an emergency genny at home just in case.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Might stay with C&CC then as there is a warden on duty (even if not in the office) 24/7. EHU tripping out could be a disaster for us.... we have an emergency genny at home just in case.
They might be 'on duty', but not, I think, after hours for non-emergencies.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
At least they are on site Tootles! For us no electric is a life and death situation (medical equipment) and we let the site know this when we book and re-iterate on arrival.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back