Pictures of older motorhomes? (1 Viewer)

OllyHughes

Free Member
Feb 15, 2010
North Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyanne 584
Exp
Since 1992
Watching this thread has brought back so many happy memories from the past, and makes me realise why I enjoy motorhoming so much. Back then there wasn't any of your Hi tech gizmos as there are today and to honest, I found it was much more enjoyable for it. Using paper maps to get from A to B. No TV, no broardband,no microwves etc etc Loved it

Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
My truck back on eBay, this truck has been bought and sold a couple of dozen times since I've owned it🙄

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=233851548307

Lol,
The guy that is selling it doesn’t own it! Look closer as he is a regular scammer. The clue is in the photo of his email and for a laugh take a look at his other items at ridiculous prices

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Lol,
The guy that is selling it doesn’t own it! Look closer as he is a regular scammer. The clue is in the photo of his email and for a laugh take a look at his other items at ridiculous prices
No he doesn't own it, I'm sat in it right now. Just a chancer.

Jock reported it to eBay a few days ago and it got removed only for that new advert going on today.

Nov 28, 2012
newtownards
Funster No
MH
Pilote 633m pvc
Exp
One of my dad's vans.dad,mum 2of us kids one sometimes 2 dogs.
Seemed big enough at the time.
Photo was at the seal caves caravan park on achill island,co mayo,Ireland.
We still go at least once every year..

IMG_20210109_100924680.jpg

Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
No he doesn't own it, I'm sat in it right now. Just a chancer.

Jock reported it to eBay a few days ago and it got removed only for that new advert going on today.

It’s really grim that he is allowed to continue, I reported his ads a few times. Albeit eBay take them down only to reappear a few days later.

Jan 24, 2020
Budapest, Hungary
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-line
Exp
I'm a newbie

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Parked next to us a few years back at the Bristol Balloon festival, a 1980s BMW Vixen. As I recall, there was always someone around having a look.

View attachment 454771
I remember seeing that at the balloon fiesta, if it’s the same one and it looks like it is, the owner was Steve Beeny of Beeny Boxes, they were the drawers he’s designed and manufactured to fit into the skirts of Motorhomes, he showed us the inside, it was awesome, a very clever bloke we later visited his yard behind his house in Cornwall, he had a full miniature railway that he built wit engine sheds and all sorts, the Vixen he had had a BMW engine.

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
I remember seeing that at the balloon fiesta, if it’s the same one and it looks like it is, the owner was Steve Beeny of Beeny Boxes, they were the drawers he’s designed and manufactured to fit into the skirts of Motorhomes, he showed us the inside, it was awesome, a very clever bloke we later visited his yard behind his house in Cornwall, he had a full miniature railway that he built wit engine sheds and all sorts, the Vixen he had had a BMW engine.
It is the same one, we were next to it and if memory serves, JockandRita were in the row in front.

Apr 7, 2008
Garstang, Lancashire, UK.
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RB
Exp
Since 1968.
Ah, well to be honest all our fleet of coaches were AEC's with the 760 power unit as we spent more time on the continent with the coaches than we did here in the UK but then it all went a bit Pete Tongue due to the BL fiasco and so we moved onto Setra's. But We did convert a Bedford Val into a motorhome and very good it was too. The little Bedford shown in the photo took us all over Europe in the ten or so years we had it.

Mar 23, 2018
East Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1995 + 20Yrs a 'Tugger' first.
Ah, well to be honest all our fleet of coaches were AEC's with the 760 power unit as we spent more time on the continent with the coaches than we did here in the UK but then it all went a bit Pete Tongue due to the BL fiasco and so we moved onto Setra's. But We did convert a Bedford Val into a motorhome and very good it was too. The little Bedford shown in the photo took us all over Europe in the ten or so years we had it.
Ah, I now can see the Dormobile parked up up behind the Reliance!
My attention was initially pricked because I was a Service Engineer at AEC in the late 60s. BTW you were lucky your fleet had 760s as they didn't suffer from so much overheating and consequent piston pickup and seizure as the 691s. Did they have the ZF 6 speed gearbox?

Apr 7, 2008
Garstang, Lancashire, UK.
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RB
Exp
Since 1968.
They did indeed. We bought our first AEC in 1968 CMB825F and that had the 691 in it but we never suffered any issues with it at all. Next was the year after with KMB603G with the newer Plaxton body. After that we just went full steam ahead with AEC's and a few YRQ to fill in when we couldn't get our fleet requirements. We did buy a Leopard WMA744J and although a real flying machine it ate brakes. We had an engineer from AEC St Helens come and look over our purchases when they were new and we only bought one that needed attention, the very first one and it needed a new steering box. I went to Scarborough to collect it and when I got back to our then premises in West Timperley my arms were well and truly frazzled. Mr. Fox was the name of the engineer, he opened up a whole new way of preventive maintenance for us for which we were ever grateful.

Mar 23, 2018
East Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1995 + 20Yrs a 'Tugger' first.
Mr. Fox was the name of the engineer, he opened up a whole new way of preventive maintenance for us for which we were ever grateful.
I operated out of the Nottingham Depot so didn't know anyone from St.Helens. My patch was the East Midlands and East Anglia. AEC's engine design had been based on wet liner engines and when they moved to dry liner they started with a block cast with side walls too thick. The 760 obviously had thinner liners and that helped heat dissipation. Hey Ho.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
It is the same one, we were next to it and if memory serves, JockandRita were in the row in front.
Ah yes, I remember now. Thanks. 👍
That was a good few years ago. 😉

It was a lovely looking vehicle, almost like something out of Thunderbirds. Unfortunately, neither Rita nor I got to view the interior layout. 😕

Cheers,

Jock. 🙂

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
Brillian pictures everyone.
We love seeing older vans on the road and when parked up. Often ask owners for a look inside too, think they are pleased others appreciate their pride and joy.
Keep posting please.

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
My last spltty have had to many to list tbh,

View attachment 455414
..and only five years later, Martin Walter made this, our first camper van. A 1970 Dormobile D4/6. We bought it in late 1978. We kept it for ten years or more, but once two children became three, we also brought a Rapido folding caravan, which we towed behind this old VW. Though by then, it had a more powerful engine conversion following a piston/valve failure.

img079.jpg

Feb 20, 2010
winchcombe
Funster No
MH
swift sundance 630g
..and only five years later, Martin Walter made this, our first camper van. A 1970 Dormobile D4/6. We bought it in late 1978. We kept it for ten years or more, but once two children became three, we also brought a Rapido folding caravan, which we towed behind this old VW. Though by then, it had a more powerful engine conversion following a piston/valve failure.

View attachment 455689
the reson i change van's because 5 of us in a splity was a bit cramped :LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back