Picking up my new Carthago tomorrow (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Hi Les
Was that a free service ?
I would guess that it wasn't going to be a free 3 month ingress check initially, it was checked over handed back all OK sticker placed in service log book, so presumed that they knew I had the free 3 years service agreement.

However, slightly different story when taken back for 1st year hab service and I asked for a brake test last October
Having walked and sat around the place for 4.5 hours, the receptionist informed me that my van was ready(y)
A workshop engineer came over and told me they had found a couple of issues that they had fixed, wardrobe light batteries replaced, Hartel inner door handle found to be loose so tightened up, van put on MOT ramp, brakes tested,all OK passed inspection cert given.

Now the good bit, van appears outside all clean and shiny from valeters, receptionist girl asks me if I would like a 3rd coffee of the day, she asks me to sign the service docs, and was just about to issue me a bill for £350.00 for the hab service as I could see it in her hand.
I said to her, glad you found the service log book it was in The Carthago Bag,and I forgot to get it out for you before the engineers drove the van away, she replied yes, I know what I'm looking for and found it straight away amongst all the other docs in The Carthago bag.
To which I replied, didnt you find the 3 years free service voucher it was in there also?
Her sweet smile turned into anguish and she then asked me if when I booked the van in for the service, had I informed them of the free service voucher?
I said no, I wasn't asked, so I naturally presumed you knew.
She then proceeded to tear up the invoice papers in front of me:mad:
Result!:Grin:
Les

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Ok here goes this was bound to happen, I can't remember everything we were shown and there are a few things I need help with

1 I can't seem to get the bedroom tv to work it keeps saying no signal check satellite, lounge tv is fine

2 I can't get the lounge tv to produce the sound out of the stereo speakers

3 Does anyone know how to turn the little light off that is on the outside of the vehicle fitted flush in the near side wing mirror arm

Don't worry I am sure I will have more questions :LOL:

Re 1:
I think you'll need to go into the TV menu and set it to "Active Aerial".

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Good job you didn’t buy your Carthago from Premium cos it says on their website that the 3 months inspection is mandatory

I felt a bit ripped off by Prenium to be told at handover that I needed to buy an inspection at only 3 months old. Looks like Southdowns don’t require this

http://www.carthago.lv/en/gurantee-and-service

Southdown are very good and have an excellent Service Centre they are not out to rip people off. They always go the extra mile to make sure someone is happy. Even seen them removing a step motor from a stock step to get someones step working again.

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
http://www.carthago.lv/en/gurantee-and-service

Southdown are very good and have an excellent Service Centre they are not out to rip people off. They always go the extra mile to make sure someone is happy. Even seen them removing a step motor from a stock step to get someones step working again.

That is a concern as it says the 3 month inspection is mandatory so I have emailed south downs for confirmation as I was told it is now voluntary

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
It seems strange dont you think that Southdowns are saying the 3 month ingress check is not mandatory, its voluntary?
I did check on The Carthago Owners Club and they did at the time we purchased advise everyone to get it done for that "all important Black Sticker to be placed in service book".
I was lucky as it was in the sale terms that I would get all servicing carried out by the dealer free in first 3 years.
My dealer told me when we did the handover, that they had booked it in for its 3 month ingress check.
If I had just laid out loads of dosh for a new Carthago, I would check with Carthago directly, and look inside the service log book to see the allocated space for the 3 month check, I wouldn't want to risk any form of invalidation, or problems when trading the van later on.
The journey to my dealers and back is around 240 miles, and it took all day to get (early start) there & back, but I considered it worthwhile for peace of mind.
If you e-mail Carthago customer service, ask them the question,they normally respond in 24/48 hours, very impressed thus far with my wiring queeries to their technical support dept.
How many of you have had the 3 month check carried out?, I presume most of us.
Confusing isn't it:unsure:
Les

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
I will get it done anyway just to be safe it needs to go back asap anyway as have a very annoying rattle / squeak from the fridge carcass

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Well picked it up today and southdowns were brilliant very thorough and all went smoothly

One thing I am very happy with the weigh bridge ticket
Full tank of fuel 65% full fresh water 10% grey water suitcase of clothes and bits and bobs both Myself and the wife and the gvw was 3940kg which leaves me a huge 560kg of payload this is great news for me

Also front axle was 1890kg
Rear axle 2050kg

You will need to check the weight limit on the back axle. If its a Fiat Heavy Duty chassis then the weight is 2400kg which reduces your payload.

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
You will need to check the weight limit on the back axle. If its a Fiat Heavy Duty chassis then the weight is 2400kg which reduces your payload.

My plate says rear axle 2500kg

20190118_152103.jpg

20190118_152111.jpg

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
When we bought our first Carthago we were told it needed the three month check and it is to be paid for. We queried this and were told that it is not obligatory. We have had this new one for 7 months and have not had a reminder of any kind from the dealer.

May 19, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1995
Good job you didn’t buy your Carthago from Premium cos it says on their website that the 3 months inspection is mandatory

I felt a bit ripped off by Prenium to be told at handover that I needed to buy an inspection at only 3 months old. Looks like Southdowns don’t require this
We got caught on that as well at Premium, but on our latest van from GMC we were told only voluntary.

john lillie

Banned
Life Ban
May 11, 2016
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
a class euramobil
Exp
25 years
I would guess that it wasn't going to be a free 3 month ingress check initially, it was checked over handed back all OK sticker placed in service log book, so presumed that they knew I had the free 3 years service agreement.

However, slightly different story when taken back for 1st year hab service and I asked for a brake test last October
Having walked and sat around the place for 4.5 hours, the receptionist informed me that my van was ready(y)
A workshop engineer came over and told me they had found a couple of issues that they had fixed, wardrobe light batteries replaced, Hartel inner door handle found to be loose so tightened up, van put on MOT ramp, brakes tested,all OK passed inspection cert given.

Now the good bit, van appears outside all clean and shiny from valeters, receptionist girl asks me if I would like a 3rd coffee of the day, she asks me to sign the service docs, and was just about to issue me a bill for £350.00 for the hab service as I could see it in her hand.
I said to her, glad you found the service log book it was in The Carthago Bag,and I forgot to get it out for you before the engineers drove the van away, she replied yes, I know what I'm looking for and found it straight away amongst all the other docs in The Carthago bag.
To which I replied, didnt you find the 3 years free service voucher it was in there also?
Her sweet smile turned into anguish and she then asked me if when I booked the van in for the service, had I informed them of the free service voucher?
I said no, I wasn't asked, so I naturally presumed you knew.
She then proceeded to tear up the invoice papers in front of me:mad:
Result!:Grin:
Les
had a similar experience years ago with Formula 1 exhausts, back box blowing, they checked and said we needed whole new system, so I says ok. Came to the bill time, I presented guarantee, manager was called, he was spitting feathers but had to bite the bullet, result!

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Use the video on your phone to replay some if the details crammed in during the handover.

Apr 7, 2018
Funster No
We bought a c line 4.9 supreme with loads of extras

I did the weigh bridge on the way home at warwick

Not got 3 year service plan but got a huge discount and a good part ex price

You do not have to have the 3 month inspection it is voluntary and chargeable and does not affect your warranty in any way

Apr 7, 2018
Funster No
Where in Warwick is the weigh bridge please as i pop by there occasionally and be great to check MH weight. Cheers Holly =",'=

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Where in Warwick is the weigh bridge please as i pop by there occasionally and be great to check MH weight. Cheers Holly =",'=

Hi
Its just off junction 15 of the M40 if heading north turn right upto the roundabout turn left then 1st left into Old Budbrooke road then its about 250 yards on the left its £10 for the first weigh then £5 per axle so £20 for the lot for what I had weighed. you could just weigh one axle then subtract it off the gross to give you the other axle weight but I just wanted it all in writing.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back