Piaggio MP3 500 and Easylifter Hydra-Trail advice please for prospective MHer! (1 Viewer)

davidcrossland

Free Member
Dec 22, 2015
Croydon
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
none
As caravanners getting older (almost 65 and the other one [censored]), we're now looking to buy our first motor home, maybe later this year, after we move back to "God's country" to spend our retirement.

My partner wants a big one, motor home, that is, as we have quite a nice spacious caravan at present.

However, I know that if we go that route then another set of wheels will be an essential and that's why I'm looking at a scooter. But not having passed my test I'll need one of those 3 wheelers, like the Piaggio MP3.

However, towing a trailer is something I'd rather avoid as that's one of the reason's for moving on from caravanning.

So, my question is: Has anyone got one of those great Piaggio MP3 500 scooters and maybe the Easylifter Hydra-Trail rack?

I'd really like to know your thoughts on either or both.

I need to get this bit sorted before we can progress with the motor home acquisition

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
The hydratrails ok for lightweight units but if I were you I'd go for a suitable motorcycle trailer with enough rails or small flat bed.

Like Jaws we took our Hydratrails back as it took three men to load a Bmw (250kg) motorcycle and Johns actually flexed and bent the tow bar rail.

We allways take a bike, as Forrestboy says 'four wheels move the body and two move the soul'.

Three wheels must come into the two wheel bracket.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I have an MP3 and Hydratrail unit but as yet haven't used the Hydratrail due to having to change the towbar. I do however have a full bike licence (see avatar) and would strongly recommend that you have a test ride on an MP3 to make sure you are totally comfortable riding one.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
The MP3 is an option we are still considering as transport for when we are away. Great machines and great stability. I too am interested in which trailers will work with the MP3 or it Peugeot equivalent the Metropolis.

I have held a full bike licence for 40 odd years so getting the hang of riding the MP3 is not a problem.

But hell are these things expensive ! Even a latish used one is 5K and up for the 500cc version and a trailer that was featured here on the forum this week is another 2K.... Sadly this makes a wee car on an A frame seem a cheap option..

Here is the link to that French trailer
http://www.remorques-charnoud.fr/detail.php?ref=1800200&ph=&menu=tracty&page=camping_car

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I was admiring one of those French trailers at Honfleur earlier this year, in my limited opinion they look much more robust than the Easylifter equivalent.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2013
St Austell
Funster No
MH
Vantage max
Exp
since 2014
Hi good luck finding a motorhome and have fun This year I passed motorbike test a carry a transalp 650 200kg on one of the easylifter units ok just takes practice did 900 miles towing. We have a swift sundance 630g that has a rear garage did carry a 125 hond in garage ok wife just wanted a bigger one (bike that is).There is other threads on site with photos of my unit with bike on back if you do go with hydalift ask to have the bracket lenghtend so it moves the bike away from the van that helped in strapping on.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As Scotty mentioned, for us the Hydra did not work.. And the chap actually made ours much heavier duty to carry our BMW GS's .
I had a 4 inch square box section tow bar on the Miller and it actually twisted that ! ( and I only went round the block with a bike on it.. I had absolutely NO confidence to go farther )

They are a great bit of kit for lightweight machines but I really could not recommend them for anything more than say 150kg tops

OP
OP
davidcrossland

davidcrossland

Free Member
Dec 22, 2015
Croydon
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
none
Happy Christmas everyone, thanks for your posts.

For the Tracty, Google translates the French to the following:

Deletes
Excessive weight on the camper
The deterioration of the suspension
The premature tire wear
The various facilities bringest the camper to strengthen the rear suspension, sentencing you 12 months of 12 is too hard suspension
The risky maneuvers a reversing trailer

PLATFORM TRACTY MOTO HOLDER

Platform door ideal for motorcycle maneuvers

The advantages for the camper

Deletes
Excessive weight on the camper
The deterioration of the suspension
The premature tire wear
The various facilities bringest the camper to strengthen the rear suspension, sentencing you 12 months of 12 is too hard suspension
The risky maneuvers a reversing trailer

Technical Features
The platform carries motorcycle Tracty, is sold only to put al back of a camper. The fastening system is made of two classic trailer hooks on two ball joints fixed in camper. The platform is fully galvanized for perenniality in time. The hub incorporates wheels are mounted on their crowns allowing 360 degree rotation. The maximum speed is limited to 90km / h to remain in compliance with the Highway Code which sets the speed limit greater than 3.5T.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
My only real concern with the Tracty is that they use 10" wheels.
I appreciate it is difficult to use larger ones but anything with 10" wheels do tend to get through bearings quite quickly.. The wheels are going round at a hellova a lick compared to the your van wheels !!

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I was admiring one of those French trailers at Honfleur earlier this year, in my limited opinion they look much more robust than the Easylifter equivalent.

What worries me is the very small wheels.. Look at the video in my link above ? When towing on the motorway they look as if they are struggling to cope.... There are one or two of those type of trailers that have two sets of twin wheels which would help if a tyre were to fail.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I think the twin wheels would definitely be a better option, and it's a good point about bearings too. As my big KTM 1290SA is probably upwards of 240KG when fully wet, I don't think I'm in the market for one of these unless I get another significantly lighter bike specifically for the purpose of being lugged about...

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I have a hydra trail. I bought it second hand.

I have towed it around Spain twice with the mileage probably now approaching 8 thousand miles.

It carries my Vespa which weighs around 165kg.

The type approved tow bar has not failed, twisted or deformed. The tyres still have loads of tread.

I can't really fault mine, nothing has cracked or broken but I have now reinforced it where a friends cracked. He carries a bike that is probably around 200kg and I think drives a lot faster than me.

I am a bit of a plodder and hardly ever exceed more than 55 mph.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
It says it's a standard ball hitch (2" US spec). I wouldn't fancy that weight hanging off the back of my car or motorhome.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
David have you actually ever ridden a bike? I can't tell from your query whether you just haven't taken a test, or if you've never ridden one at all. If not then the first thing I would do is get in touch with a rider training centre and arrange to be given a lesson there before committing to a large MH and bike set-up - you MIGHT not like riding a bike, not everyone does, and even those that do, don't like taking pillion passengers (I don't!).

Another thing to consider is the cost of the bike and insurance etc so you could consider a tow car instead (and trailer/a-frame depending on where you intend to take it) which would probably cost no more than a MP3 and trailer anyway and the insurance will be a fair bit less too I suspect.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi @davidcrossland what about a couple of nice electric bikes in the garage rather than faffing about with a scooter on the back. A nice big motorhome is big enough already without sticking another metre behind it.

Or a big big motorhome and put a car in the back.

image.jpeg

Martin

OP
OP
davidcrossland

davidcrossland

Free Member
Dec 22, 2015
Croydon
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
none
Twice in my life (age 17 and then 40 ish) I've ridden and owned a motor bike although both bikes were under 100cc lol

More recently, probably about 3 years ago in Goa, India we borrowed a scooter and my partner was pillion. Great fun.

I've never taken my test although before I go too far with this I'll do at least my CBT.

I'm now 64 and want to get a scooter that not only will be great when we go touring (with the MH) but will provide lots of fun back home.

The Piaggio MP3 500ABS (£7800) with ASR (traction control) ticks a lot of boxes. But the weight is a concern when it comes to touring with the MH.

There's always the Yourban (£6200) at about 50kg lighter but it is smaller and has no ABS or traction control and much less power.

There's also the Quadro4 (£8500) with 4 wheels but no abs and the same weight as the MP3 500.

Much cheaper and with a folding roof is the Adiva AD3 (6500 euros) but the nearest dealer is in Dunkirk http://www.adivafrance.com/scooter-3-roues-ad3/

So, the jury is still out but sorting out what and how I can hitch a scooter to the back of a motorhome will help me then choose the right scooter although the MP3 500 is my favourite, at present.

I don't really want a traditional trailer because of the great likelihood of jacknifing while reversing.

Problems, problems! lol

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
The 550cc version of the Piaggio MP3 weighs in at a very hefty 263 KG !! Flaming Ada thats heavy ! I knew they were heavy but 263 KG and that is the dry weight which does not take into account the water in the cooling system oil and fuel ..............

So a decent stable trailer or a really well built hydra type trailer is definitely in order.

I reckon the MP3 would be an absolute hoot to ride ! 40 BHP aint a lot and given the weight especially considering they have to cope with the rider and rider/gaffer/wife most of the time I reckon the 500cc one which has ABS and a version of traction control is the machine of choice.

Also worth bearing in mind is the seat on the lesser 300 cc machine called MP3 Yourban are pretty awful compared to the well set up quality seat on the bigger 500cc version.

Peugeot do a 400cc one called the Metropolis which have a real quality feel about it but they can be very expensive as well.

I have looked very closely indeed at these machines. For me the MP3 500 is the one to go for followed very closely indeed by the Metropolis in RS guise. Hard to imagine anyone being disappointing with one of those !

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
David have you actually ever ridden a bike? I can't tell from your query whether you just haven't taken a test, or if you've never ridden one at all. If not then the first thing I would do is get in touch with a rider training centre and arrange to be given a lesson there before committing to a large MH and bike set-up - you MIGHT not like riding a bike, not everyone does, and even those that do, don't like taking pillion passengers (I don't!).

Another thing to consider is the cost of the bike and insurance etc so you could consider a tow car instead (and trailer/a-frame depending on where you intend to take it) which would probably cost no more than a MP3 and trailer anyway and the insurance will be a fair bit less too I suspect.

Good advice but the problem is is finding a place that has an MP3 .... The Mp3 is quite unlike riding a conventional scooter. I have been into bikes from big road bikes to racing on track and riding an MP3 requires far less balance and ............ Well skill..

Cornering is quite different . The stability on the MP is awe inspiring and providing the rider is sensible it would be quite unusual to loose control mid bend. 90% of M/cycle accidents are from riders loosing control in the bend.

It is of course a benefit having motor cycling experience. Bikers develop a 6th sense and an acute awareness as to what is in front of them and what is going on around them. We bikers ride with senses heightened whether we realise it or not.

IMHO taking a lesson on a conventional scooter would confuse the issue. It would relate little to riding an MP. All training is good but in this case it may not entirely relate .

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Huge Heavy Expensive. And with no real advantage over a two wheel bike save the licence.

Or, KISS, and pay £1000 for a brand new Chinese 125 weighing under 100kg and put it in the garage of a suitable MH.

For who ?

A person/passenger with a limited disablement can get onto an MP3 and be sat comfortable while the rider who has just helped the person aboard can then get aboard.

The stability compared to a conventional scooter is eminence . Given the OPs lack of experience I would say the extra money is indeed money very well spent.

Comparing an MP3 with a conventional scooter is not comparing like with like.

Chinese scooters are crap at best ..

On a conventional scooter the rider must get on and then the passenger.

Different strokes.................

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
All very good points but no one seems to have mentioned the weight as it affects the motorhome. It would need to be a substantial vehicle to have the available payload to carry both the carrier and the bike AND since all of this weight is behind the back axle you are in danger of overloading the back axle and doing a wheelie in the camper.

We have an RV but could not carry that many KGs plus the easylifter without problems. That why we www.unibrake.co.uk a Smart ForFour or tow our 'bike in a box'

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Must admit, if I ever got the urge to go with a three wheeler it is def the Adiva AD3 I would plumb for
Having seen one in the flesh I was quite impressed with the over all build. I fully expected it to be a bit flimsy and built down to a price
Yes, it is a slightly lower quality than the MP3 but in almost every other respect it is streets ahead.
Better storage ( and for motorhome use that is a major plus ), much lighter, and it has the Kymco engine which is now well proven and is fully supported every where in Europe ( and I mean every where, from Ireland to Croatia ! )

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back