Piaggio LT Range (1 Viewer)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I looked at the MP3, too. You need the 300cc one. Lighter and smaller than the 500cc, yet good enough to take two without struggling.
Beware of older ones with smaller engines as I think they require a 'proper' motorbike license (they lack a footbrake or some other component that is required to qualify).

Last edited:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Correct @rogher . Piaggio used to make three models. 125cc 250cc and 400cc.

They now make 125cc 300cc and the big 500cc.

The 125cc has a narower front wheel track, only 23mm or 1", it does not have a footbrake or the handbrake that the two larger models have and so it cannot be driven on a car licence.

This is mine as modelled by Kate and Bill of @Ambilkate fame.
This one fits in my garage the 500cc is a few inches longer and slightly higher so wont fit in my garage.

2015-08-16 12.36.14_800x598.jpg

and here it is inside the van.

IMG_0005_800x600.JPG

IMG_0006_800x600.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
We have the 500 Business MP3 which we tow on an Armitage trailer. If you don't have a bike licence you may be looking at these and thinking that they are easier to ride than a conventional 2 wheeler - they're not, they're just the same. In fact in some respects they are more difficult because you have to get used to the transition from being rigidly upright to free tilting.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
you may be looking at these and thinking that they are easier to ride than a conventional 2 wheeler - they're not,

That's real good advice from @TheTwoOfUs . They're certainly not easier to ride but of course 50% more rubber in contact with the road so safer than two wheels but oh my goodness they are heavy. With fuel and hat-box mine weighs in at 1/4 tonne, that is 12lbs heavier than the BMW 1200 roadster.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Thanks all.

I was thinking of buying one in Spain. When we go to our house in the Motorhome or Minibus. It can be a bind getting around shopping and nipping to the beach etc.
But is it classed as "not a motorcycle" in Spain ?

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Mine is coming up for it's first MOT, i.e. almost three years old.

I'm toying with the idea of selling it if you're interested. £5,000

Jul 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Concorde 791RL
Exp
15 years
3EA6E305-86ED-4D6A-8A37-D764145111BF.jpeg
Love ours, have the 500cc LT sport.
Ours goes on a trailer, garage full of push bikes and crap(y)

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
We are also giving an MP3 some serious consideration. Although I could possibly get one in my garage I don't want to give up my bike or the BBQ so I was considering one of the side loading trailers. Anyone have any experience with these?

Attachments

• ptdc0027_1.jpg
    ptdc0027_1.jpg
    348.4 KB · Views: 18

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
This is our 500 on an Armitage trailer.

That's a nice set up; particularly like the front wheel supports! What is it like to manoeuvre about a pitch? Can you manage that with the bike on it or do you need to take the bike of whilst attached to van? I'm just thinking of those occasions when you need to manoeuvre about but don't really want a short 'A' frame trailer to contend with as well.

I've had a look on their site but can't see one for a Mp3 trike. Was yours bespoke and could I ask what sort of price?

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
We have had both, a Hydratrail and now the Armitage. My experiences are as follows:-
Hydratrail is a doddle to tow and reverse and it worked well on our Frankia which was 6.6m long and had only 1m overhang. It is fairly easy to load when you get into a routine. We would probably still have this if it wasn't for the fact that we changed motorhomes to a 7.5m long Dethleffs which has an overhang of about 2m. The Hydratrail wouldn't lift it, despite the support leg the extra leverage meant it never got off the ground. And therein lies the problem with the Hydratrail, you need a short overhang, a very rigid chassis and a towbar resembling the Forth Bridge. Because the Frankia was pre 2012 I used the towbar I designed and had made and it wasn't going to twist.
The Armitage on the other hand tows well but as can be expected can be a bit awkward to reverse if you're not confident. A reversing camera is a must not only for reversing but also when going forward and doing tight turns, particularly U turns. I bought the hand winch to pull the MP3 onto the trailer because you can't power it up.
So which do I prefer? Now it's the Armitage because I can load the MP3 on when the trailer is unhitched which means I can do it the night before we travel and then just hitch it up the next day. Also if you are on a pitch that isn't long enough to take the m/home and trailer you can just unhitch it. With the Hydratrail you have to unload the scooter.
One last thing to, whichever option you take remember that because of the two wheels at the front, the trailer becomes "handed". So it can only be loaded from one side. So decide which side you want that to be and specify it when you order. Neither Armitages or Hydratrail had considered this and it cost me to have them modified.
I hope that helps a bit.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back