Piaggio LT Range

Discussion in 'Motorcycles and Motorhomes' started by TeeMyob, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Popeye

Popeye Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +30,080
    No need to assume, yes it is still a 300 as posted in #6

2. Mikeclaire

Mikeclaire Funster

Ratings:
    +184
    3EA6E305-86ED-4D6A-8A37-D764145111BF.jpeg Love ours, have the 500cc LT sport.
    Ours goes on a trailer, garage full of push bikes and crap(y)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  3. TeeMyob

TeeMyob Funster

Ratings:
    +2,342
    You said that the 500 would not fit in your garage!.

So guessed yours was a 300 not a 125.

Ill give it some thought.

• Like it Like it x 1
  4. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

Ratings:
    +1,916
    We are also giving an MP3 some serious consideration. Although I could possibly get one in my garage I don't want to give up my bike or the BBQ so I was considering one of the side loading trailers. Anyone have any experience with these?

Attached Files:

5. TeeMyob

TeeMyob Funster

Ratings:
    +2,342
    Is that one of those castor reversing trailers?

6. TheTwoOfUs

TheTwoOfUs Funster

Ratings:
    +11,822
    This is our 500 on an Armitage trailer.

IMG_00000671.jpg

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. TeeMyob

TeeMyob Funster

Ratings:
    +2,342
    • Like it Like it x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

Ratings:
    +1,916
    No, it's a standard axle trailer. Mind you the caster type would interest me if they are made for this kind of set up.

9. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

Ratings:
    +1,916
    That's a nice set up; particularly like the front wheel supports! What is it like to manoeuvre about a pitch? Can you manage that with the bike on it or do you need to take the bike of whilst attached to van? I'm just thinking of those occasions when you need to manoeuvre about but don't really want a short 'A' frame trailer to contend with as well.

I've had a look on their site but can't see one for a Mp3 trike. Was yours bespoke and could I ask what sort of price?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  10. TheTwoOfUs

TheTwoOfUs Funster

Ratings:
    +11,822
    We have had both, a Hydratrail and now the Armitage. My experiences are as follows:-
    Hydratrail is a doddle to tow and reverse and it worked well on our Frankia which was 6.6m long and had only 1m overhang. It is fairly easy to load when you get into a routine. We would probably still have this if it wasn't for the fact that we changed motorhomes to a 7.5m long Dethleffs which has an overhang of about 2m. The Hydratrail wouldn't lift it, despite the support leg the extra leverage meant it never got off the ground. And therein lies the problem with the Hydratrail, you need a short overhang, a very rigid chassis and a towbar resembling the Forth Bridge. Because the Frankia was pre 2012 I used the towbar I designed and had made and it wasn't going to twist.
    The Armitage on the other hand tows well but as can be expected can be a bit awkward to reverse if you're not confident. A reversing camera is a must not only for reversing but also when going forward and doing tight turns, particularly U turns. I bought the hand winch to pull the MP3 onto the trailer because you can't power it up.
    So which do I prefer? Now it's the Armitage because I can load the MP3 on when the trailer is unhitched which means I can do it the night before we travel and then just hitch it up the next day. Also if you are on a pitch that isn't long enough to take the m/home and trailer you can just unhitch it. With the Hydratrail you have to unload the scooter.
    One last thing to, whichever option you take remember that because of the two wheels at the front, the trailer becomes "handed". So it can only be loaded from one side. So decide which side you want that to be and specify it when you order. Neither Armitages or Hydratrail had considered this and it cost me to have them modified.
    I hope that helps a bit.

• Like it Like it x 1
  11. TheTwoOfUs

TheTwoOfUs Funster

Ratings:
    +11,822
    You must have posted while I was composing my War and Peace diatribe ;)

Yes it is easy to manoeuvre with the scooter loaded. If there is an incline you may need a hand. It is on the Armitage web page somewhere but I can tell you it costs about £1500 which is not far off the price of the Hydratrail.
    PS You're welcome to come and have a look at ours if it helps.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. TeeMyob

TeeMyob Funster

Ratings:
    +2,342
    The one I linked is!

13. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

Ratings:
    +1,916
    Many thanks @TheTwoOfUs for 'War and Piece' as it's given me a good insight. The more I read about the Piaggio MP3 the more I like the idea. Even better is that Ginny is completely behind the idea! It will give us the mobility and ability to explore locally much easier. Having considered various options in the past, like car on trailer etc, this seems to be ideal. Not a huge trailer to pull or more importantly find space on a pitch for...there also seems to be a fine selection of bikes on Autotrader these days. Thanks for the offer to have a look at your set up, but we're in Spain at the moment, home in late Spring when I hope to have a plan of action and get bike and trailer ready for our next adventure. Many thanks again :)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    • Like it Like it x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1