photonic universe solar panel (1 Viewer)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The 25% figure has come from mipv who did the trial.

And I've already provided the link 8 posts back for the parent company specifications downloads :)

I'm sorry I can't provide any more info on specs than they have - I suggest you either contact them direct to get whatever you need or just go ahead and buy the cheapest Chinese panels you have found :)
My point was the link to their "leisure" site lists several advantages, such as low profile and reduced weight, which I wouldn't argue with. Then it goes into some distinctly wooly claims about being better at low light levels and at higher temperatures but gives no test results to support these claims.
If the performance was that good they should be shouting it from the rooftops. I can't see anything obvious in their downloads page about this.

Last edited:

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
My point was the link to their "leisure" site lists several advantages, such as low profile and reduced weight, which I wouldn't argue with. Then it goes into some distinctly wooly claims about being better at low light levels and at higher temperatures but gives no test results to support these claims.

When I asked these same questions I was given the link to the parent company downloads - have you actually looked at them?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
When I asked these same questions I was given the link to the parent company downloads - have you actually looked at them?
See the last paragraph I added above while you were posting. Can you give a specific link to some test results? I've looked and nothing jumped out at me - but I am overdue a visit to the opticians. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Indeed you should, side by side same controller just different panels(y)

Martin

This is my question with it. We re looking at ÂŁ9k for 4kw Bipv as opposed to ÂŁ4k with integrated conventional pv's and while I like the theory and I have seen it properly in action, I've not seen any examples that I would consider a meaningful comparison.

Looking at putting a Bipv panel on the mh means fitting a separate system which is costly and its the wrong time of year to give results unless they're really amazing..

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
This is my question with it. We re looking at ÂŁ9k for 4kw Bipv as opposed to ÂŁ4k with integrated conventional pv's and while I like the theory and I have seen it properly in action, I've not seen any examples that I would consider a meaningful comparison.

Looking at putting a Bipv panel on the mh means fitting a separate system which is costly and its the wrong time of year to give results unless they're really amazing..
If I was showing an "amazing new PV panel" I would have one rigged up side by side with the much inferior existing technology and then point them both at the sun, seems quite simple and dare I say even sensible to me.

Martin

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
An interesting read comparing the various solar panel technologies and marketing claims.

http://www.solarblogger.net/2016/10/thin-film-solar-pv-vs-silicon-wafer.html

Martin
An interesting read indeed. At best in certain circumstances there might be a marginal advantage but in the real world there isn't anything to recommend them, particularly after taking into account the cost premium.

"The clear conclusion from this multi-year side by side test is that thin film modules do not outperform crystalline silicon modules."

Aug 6, 2018
Dorset
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
Since 2019
Having stumbled across this thread whilst mulling over which way to go with solar installation I'm wondering if anyone who's been using Photonic Universe equipment can add anything on its longevity?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I got a 280w kit from them in 2017 via Amazon. Panel, MPPT charger and mounting hardware. I sold the van earlier this year. Didn't have any issues with the Photonic Universe stuff. We did about 30k miles, including 6 months in Europe where we were mostly off-grid, so relied on the solar a lot.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back