Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
The most difficult thing I've ever tried and I was once quite competitive with 10cc RC boats.

Took me a year of learning on a simulator, then 400 class electric, 600 class nitro then the big electric. Building is just as much fun as flying them Only crashed the 400 about six times. never had to use training skids, simulator highly recommended!

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
I have got phantom 3 professional, thinking of getting Mavic pro
The Mavic pro is, in almost every respect, the Phantom 4 in a pocket-sized package.
The whole thing, including controller, is smaller than the Phantom controller and it has, in my opinion, a better angle of view from the camera, not so wide.

It's a technology that has advanced so quickly that I find it hard to believe what the Mavic Pro can do, or that they are legally available. They are a terrorist's dream surely?

I'd like to get one for a Norwegian trip I'm planning and before they are all banned.
They will surely become a blight on society as their price drops closer and closer to "pocket money" prices.

In the meantime check out this Mavic Pro footage. It's quite extraordinary how far he flew to get these shots. Remember the Mavic Pro is not much bigger than a camera.

VIDEO

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I have a Yuneec Q500 Typhoon, the original one, not 4K or the + model. It flies great, very stable and takes good steady video and single images.
25 minutes flight time per battery and I currently have it for sale in France.
I've had Phantoms, both original and Phantom 2 and this is much more stable.

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
A few months ago there was a bloke ( not young) with one on here,, the first time I have seen on up close,, he was doing all sorts of tricks and aerobatics with it,, looked really cool,, sounded like a swarm of bees!! I thought it was very cool !!!

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
I took delivery of my DJI Mavic Pro yesterday. It was a nerve-wracking experience. On day-2 it's slightly less scary but still jangles the nerves a bit. It gets high and far ever so quickly.

The most amazing thing is how it produces video footage so calm and collected looking, belying the frantic actions of its owner 500 yards away and 100 yards below.

First attempt -

Today -

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
I've been looking at these and wouldn't mind one to play around with, anyone recommend one that would do the job but doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
ive used them on a professional basis ,i was camera operator whilst the other guy controlled the drone ,we were fully acredited and adhered to CAA rules ,in some countries they are banned unless you have a liscense , i think that the CAA will try to legislate them in the near future
The very point that I wanted to make. In some countries they are banned outright, no prospects of any license

Personally I would love to own one, though

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Today........

Just as uninspiring as yesterday.

Yes I am being provocative. Novelty certainly, FUN certainly artistic, useful no.

I throw down a challenge to all, post some stunning drone footage.

Beat this still from the ground............

F1.jpg

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
Were you a complete novice? So how easy is it to fly?
Complete novice on monday.

It's actually easy to fly but there is an overwhelming, and somewhat panic-inducing, amount of information to process (if that makes sense).

It takes care of itself in that, when you let go of the sticks, it stays precisely where it is. This differs from most RC Planes/Helicopters in that you need to fly them 100% of the time or they will crash.
I come at it from a photography/video point of view though, not a pilot. I've no interest in the flying aspects of drones apart from how they can help me achieve nice video footage. An RC plane would bore me in 5 minutes.

The camera settings are incredibly advanced, as advanced as some modern digital compact cameras, I'm very impressed. Trying to achieve a "cinematic" result means you are multi-tasking with the actual flying, so you are looking at camera settings as well as drone flight telemetry. I'm sure I'll be fine in a couple of weeks, when the flying becomes more automatic, and I can concentrate on the look of the video.

If all you want is video from "high up" then it's a doddle. Press the "Take Off" button, press the joystick up, press record and it will shoot into the air. Then it's just a joystick for forward/backward/left/right. Very intuitive.

It's by far and away the most technologically advanced device I have ever owned. A 4K video camera, a 12Mp stills camera, stabilised camera, 4mile range, autonomous tracking features, autonomous "return to home" function, folds away to (large) pocket sized, ground-facing Sonar sensors, forward facing collision-avoidance cameras....it's an amazing list of advanced tech in a package the same size as my DSLR camera.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
..it's an amazing list of advanced tech in a package the same size as my DSLR camera.

It looks like if anyone can take up my challenge you can, once you get to the right locations.

I'll tell you where my sceptical view comes from, years of flying. A long time ago I came to the conclusion that the best way to ruin stunning scenery is to fly over it. Now we are talking no lower than 500 feet more often thousands of feet. So you can take a totally different view with a quad. But, say, flying over Windermere, an area I know for it's beauty on the ground, but from a couple of thousand feet it looks nothing.

Let's see what you make of the coming summer.

One mile high, OK for record shots but hardly artistic.

HB_PICT0014.JPG

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
The very point that I wanted to make. In some countries they are banned outright, no prospects of any license

Personally I would love to own one, though

I decided to buy one now, before they are tightly regulated, as they soon will be.

I imagine the skies will become full of them over the next 10 years. I am fully aware of their nuisance potential and have restricted myself to remote rural areas so far.

What worries me most is when they become so cheap that every 13 year old lad has one in a Town & City. I know first-hand just how easy it is to lose track of where the drone is. No big deal if you are in rural Hampshire, surround by fields, but a huge issue in congested Portsmouth for example, where it's almost guaranteed to hit a house, car or person if something malfunctions.

Like anything, they are not a problem when used responsibly but, with a 4 mile range, the Police will never know who is flying them. It's quite possible to "pilot" them from a different town altogether

Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
I've been looking at these and wouldn't mind one to play around with, anyone recommend one that would do the job but doesn't cost an arm and a leg?
I bought a syma 5c-1, about £40 amazon. It's good for the novice which I am.

Mickey.

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
It looks like if anyone can take up my challenge you can, once you get to the right locations.

I'll tell you where my sceptical view comes from, years of flying. A long time ago I came to the conclusion that the best way to ruin stunning scenery is to fly over it. Now we are talking no lower than 500 feet more often thousands of feet. So you can take a totally different view with a quad. But, say, flying over Windermere, an area I know for it's beauty on the ground, but from a couple of thousand feet it looks nothing.

Let's see what you make of the coming summer.

One mile high, OK for record shots but hardly artistic.

I accept the challenge :)
(I was going to try and produce stunning Drone footage anyway..but I like a challenge).

Firstly though, let's set a benchmark. Do you find this artistic?
If not then I don't accept your challenge because then it's clear you don't like aerial footage and there's no point you waiting for mine to appear, it's unlikely to be any better than this fella's.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It's quite possible to "pilot" them from a different town altogether

Against CAA regulations I think. I hope you have insurance and know these regs. The CAA do not take prisoners if you cross them.

Easiest insurance is to join the BMFA.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Firstly though, let's set a benchmark. Do you find this artistic?

Pretty grim, chop, chop, chop. Someone with the attention span of a fly.

Some excellent stills but I saw no merit in a bit of movement. Just novelty value.

Thinking about it, this is a whole new genre of photography, new skills to be learned and maybe you can set the benchmark. I have in front of me several pictures of our travels, that one of Florence, even if not particularly good technically it can keep looking at it and enjoying different details, like de Medici's secret passage.

So where is this new genre going, do we have tablets glued to the wall showing ten second clips. The problem being you can't take it all in in ten seconds, do we keep pressing rewind ?

Would da Vinci have had the Mona Lisa turning her head and winking ?

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
Pretty grim, chop, chop, chop. Someone with the attention span of a fly.

Some excellent stills but I saw no merit in a bit of movement. Just novelty value.

Thinking about it, this is a whole new genre of photography, new skills to be learned and maybe you can set the benchmark. I have in front of me several pictures of our travels, that one of Florence, even if not particularly good technically it can keep looking at it and enjoying different details, like de Medici's secret passage.

So where is this new genre going, do we have tablets glued to the wall showing ten second clips. The problem being you can't take it all in in ten seconds, do we keep pressing rewind ?

Would da Vinci have had the Mona Lisa turning her head and winking ?

It's not photography though, it's film-making and the rules are well-defined (for over 100 years) and different, in many ways, to photography.
It's something people don't notice when they watch a film, but it's rare to see a clip longer than 5-10 seconds. It focuses attention more than long clips do (check out any family video of their Child's birthday party....please God no.)

We don't need Tablets glued to the wall, everyone has a suitable device with them and TV isn't what most people will be watching in 5 years (if it even is today). Media is becoming short clips, on Youtube, Vimeo..and so on.

De Medici's secret passageway (Euphemism of the week) was far better displayed on the BBC show "Invisible Italy" using drone footage and VR technology.
I think Da Vinci would have been at the forefront of this kind of thing. The Mona Lisa is something he did when he wasn't trying to design Helicopters. Drones sound right up his strada.

Ultimately though, it's what you enjoy viewing. I love stills photography, it's basically what I do when work isn't getting in the way. I'm also fascinated by film-making, although it's something I really only started doing lately. I'm learning the rules as I go..... using Youtube as my main resource funnily enough.

Ideally I'll be technically and artistically proficient enough to string something nice together when I hit the road full-time. That's the reason behind the drone and also my choice of stills cameras (which nowadays are also TV quality video cameras).

Nice photo of Firenze by the way.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I wonder if that Norwegian video kept to the 400 foot rule?

As a light aircraft pilot, the number of drones flying around is becoming a bit of a nuisance. As a householder, let's just say that I have a paintball gun around, and wouldn't hesitate to "accidentally" shoot one down if it encroached on my privacy

However, I'm still fascinated in the subject

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Just to drag this back towards camping for a second... we were on some uk site last year.. can't recall where and someone was playing with a drone. It had to be more annoying than a generator. It crashed eventually .. Unfortunately.

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
Here is a film I made on our return from our first proper "road-trip". 2 weeks in the Peak District, Lake District and the west coast of Scotland.

Click Here >>> HERE <<<

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Excellent video. If being nit picky (which I have no right to do, never having edited anything), throw in a few stationary shots and different transitions, not the fancy weird ones that look awful, but dissolves and cuts mainly, also vary the length between the transitions more.

Had my Mavic Pro about a week, just getting to grips with the flying first before worrying too much about the video/photos side. I have read there is an excellent video editing app for the ipad for about £20.

I am using my iphone 7+ but am looking into a 7-8inch tablet, seems the ipad mini 4 is the go to, but at about £500 cant justify it as I have the air 2 already, which is a bit too big. Ideally want one that fits the controller. There seems to be issues with the Android tablets.

Have you tried the free game for it? Only had a quick play, not really into games but it will certainly help with control skills and shows there will be a lot more to come in terms of what you can do with it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back