Philip Hammond says Fuel prices are on the up again... (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I'm not one to check fuel prices each and every fill up but there is already a noticeable difference in how much fuel you get for your money. It can only get much worse with the chancellor Philip Hammond sparking uproar by suggesting that the eight-year fuel duty freeze is over. How much does it now cost to fill up Your motorhome.....(n)

Deleted User
If I let mine drop below a quarter I can't fill it up in the £100 limit on most pumps!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
It’s not fuel for the vehicles that concerns me,rather the cost of domestic heating oil i.e. central heating oil.
No gas where we are,as with a lot of rural areas...........but do you ever hear of an “Ofwat” “Ofcom” “Oftel” “Oftwit”. that monitors oil prices for central heating???????
No,you don’t,and that’s because it only affects rural areas,and nobody gives a flying turd about those!!!!!!:cold::cold:

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
Does this mean my "Winter Fuel Allowance" won't get me down to the Costa Del Sol? Or will he link the two?

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
It’s not fuel for the vehicles that concerns me,rather the cost of domestic heating oil i.e. central heating oil.
No gas where we are,as with a lot of rural areas...........but do you ever hear of an “Ofwat” “Ofcom” “Oftel” “Oftwit”. that monitors oil prices for central heating???????
No,you don’t,and that’s because it only affects rural areas,and nobody gives a flying turd about those!!!!!!:cold::cold:
I feel for you Podney………...:sleep::)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We were on oil in our previous house.

I reckon that we now pay only between a third and a half of our previous costs, for oil, in our gas supplied home.

Our combined gas/electric bill is still lower than the oil bill in our old house. We also had to pay for electricity on top of that.

You genuinely have my sympathies.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

My Mum lives in rural Wales and her oil costs are spiralling.

I agree that you have a choice whether you run your car/van but you have to heat your house.

The whole energy industry is a big rip off.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We also heat our house with oil and the price certainly fluctuates a LOT, with no price controls or any sort of regulator. It's a bit like the wild west, when it comes to buying oil.

But the OP's thread is about the Chancellor's possible proposals to increase road fuel duty - which should not - of its self, impact the cost of central heating fuel (oil).

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
How much does it now cost to fill up Your motorhome.....(n)

386L approx 85 Imperial Gallons at £1.31equals £505.66. If I drive carefully I will get 10mpg. So, don’t come whinging to me. :rofl:

Allowing for the limit of 100L per fill, it can take me up to three visits to the cashier. The people behind tend to get a bit pissed off waiting. But I care not. :gum: Usually by the time I’m on the third fill, the bank are on my mobile checking it’s me.

I care not either about the mpg, it is what it is and I am spending the kids inheritance.

European stations are so more trustworthy, usually, I can fill up in one go. :inlove:

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
386L approx 85 Imperial Gallons at £1.31equals £505.66. If I drive carefully I will get 10mpg. So, don’t come whinging to me. :rofl:

Allowing for the limit of 100L per fill, it can take me up to three visits to the cashier. The people behind tend to get a bit pissed off waiting. But I care not. :gum: Usually by the time I’m on the third fill, the bank are on my mobile checking it’s me.

I care not either about the mpg, it is what it is and I am spending the kids inheritance.

European stations are so more trustworthy, usually, I can fill up in one go. :inlove:
Hells Bells that has made me feel much better.....(y)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
It will be 90% tax soon it seems that Johnny Foreigner has cottoned on as well now and the parity of prices and that of the £ seems to be in equal amounts. All ready for when we are forced into the Euro as punishment for saying we were going to leave, and then stay.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007

Well said sir, my thoughts exactly, shafted and ripped off good and proper we are and nobody gives a t0ss

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We live on the North Sea coast.
There's oil in the North Sea.
I'm gonna drill a bloody deep hole in our garden, I'm sure I'll hit oil eventually.
I'll pipe it straight into our boiler... It should just about keep it fed.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We live on the North Sea coast.
There's oil in the North Sea.
I'm gonna drill a bloody deep hole in our garden, I'm sure I'll hit oil eventually.
I'll pipe it straight into our boiler... It should just about keep it fed.
Will you be broadcasting your progress on your social media platform so we can all see how you get on?

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
The ever increasing price of fuel is bound to have an effect on the MoHo fraternity.

I met a lovely couple in the Highlands last week who ran a cherished MY93 edition Elddis MoHo. They openly admitted to me over a glass of red that if the price of fuel were to go up any more then they would have no choice than to sell their van.

These guys have been motorhoming for many years and they were using their limited cash reserve to furnish their hobby.

I don't think for one second that most new motorhomers think about the fuel costs when they buy their firsy van - this just comes later when they have to fill the tank for the very first time.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I would be very surprised if the price of fuel alone meant that people would have to give up. Most Motorhomers do not do big mileages, if you check the mileages of used ones, many have done less 5000 pa so total fuel cost (£1000ish) is generally less than depreciation and quite often less than maintenance and repairs and or enhancements.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I would be very surprised if the price of fuel alone meant that people would have to give up. Most Motorhomers do not do big mileages, if you check the mileages of used ones, many have done less 5000 pa so total fuel cost (£1000ish) is generally less than depreciation and quite often less than maintenance and repairs and or enhancements.
Depends on the motorhomer ...ive done 12000 in mine since last October

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
We have an oil co operative in our village, for heating oil it’s worked very well and we usually get a good rate per litre. Minimum order is 500 litres.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp

Yep, I agree with you but still there's no denying that 10-20 tanks of fuel is a costly business when you dont have much in the bank.

I've met all sorts of lovely people on my travels and while some have been as rich as creases there are others who have had nowt and just get by on what they can scrape together.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We bought our present motorhome last December.

Mileage, to date, 10,378 miles.

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None

What on Earth are you driving??

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
It’s not just the UK, it’s just as costly in most places over on the continent.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Yep, I agree with you but still there's no denying that 10-20 tanks of fuel is a costly business when you dont have much in the bank.

I've met all sorts of lovely people on my travels and while some have been as rich as creases there are others who have had nowt and just get by on what they can scrape together.
“as rich as creases”
Well,Ive never heard that one before.
Why are crease rich,I wonder?

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
“as rich as creases”
Well,Ive never heard that one before.
Why are crease rich,I wonder?

I overheard the saying while I was visiting a group of posh folk. I was delivering their kebabs on my scooter, lol.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

Get your own back , run the van on it.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
What on Earth are you driving??

This .................