Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
New to motorhoming but already found a peril, 3rd time I've parked it on my drive in front of my house only this time I thought I heard a little crack, checked that i'd missed the gate post then got out to find i'd gone over the drain inspection cover in my drive and busted the cast cover. very lucky the van didn't go down if i'd gone over the middle of it I think it would have. so lesson learnt at only the cost of a cover.
Phew.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
You can get formed steel ones as opposed to cast iron - we have one in our drive! It isn't so prone to cracking as cast.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Most standard manhole covers are designed only for foot traffic and the occasional light car. Get a heavy duty one from a builders merchants.

agreed, wise advise.

i saw a 7500kg builders merchant truck drive over one of those glass block covers outside a house....well he started to drive over it until the twin wheels disappeared and he was stuck on his axle.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if you decide to change the cast cover to steel you will also need to change the frame set in the ground....unlikely you will find an alternative cover to fit the existing recess.

only alternative would be a suitably sized sheet of 20mm steel checker plate laid over the existing cover

OP
OP
Busman

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
if you decide to change the cast cover to steel you will also need to change the frame set in the ground....unlikely you will find an alternative cover to fit the existing recess.

only alternative would be a suitably sized sheet of 20mm steel checker plate laid over the existing cover

Good idea that, I was thinking of some hardboard etc but i'll look at getting the 20mm plate much safer.
Thanks

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Good idea that, I was thinking of some hardboard etc but i'll look at getting the 20mm plate much safer.
Thanks

I would not recommend it as a permanent fix. Firstly the plate can and will slide about if you are not careful, especially if somebody "spins the wheels" when driving away from it. Secondly it will be very heavy. And thirdly 20mm will present a tripping hazard, and you don't want to be sued by the postman or a visiting police woman! 20mm is normally considered to be the biggest difference between paving slabs before it is considered a trip hazard.

Get a heavy duty cover and frame (they usually are sold as one unit anyway) then dig out the old one and bed the new one in on a bed of 3:1 sharp sand and cement flush with the rest of the drive. It may be more difficult if you have block paving though!

OP
OP
Busman

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Thanks Peter, I have 3 covers up my drive so swopped the one at the end of the drive with the one at front so no hazard. Gives me time to get it done proper. I was thinking of the plate on top of the cover as a extra and only put it over temporary when the MH needs moving. No doubt it will be me that trips over it though.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back