Peugeot Boxer Water Ingress on Engine (1 Viewer)

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Could anybody tell me if Peugeot and Fiat have agreed a fix on the water ingress problem on the engines of their newer models??

We bought an extended silver screen, which effectively covers the holes when we are stood, but obviously not when we are travelling. I have heard that Fiat were agreeing a fix, but have heard nothing about Peugeot models.

Mike

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Could anybody tell me if Peugeot and Fiat have agreed a fix on the water ingress problem on the engines of their newer models??

We bought an extended silver screen, which effectively covers the holes when we are stood, but obviously not when we are travelling. I have heard that Fiat were agreeing a fix, but have heard nothing about Peugeot models.

Mike

Hi Mike,

There are a number of Fiat recalls, injector cleaning, flash upgrade, power steering grease, power steering pipe clamp and an engine cover if you insist on it.

To stop the water ingress, make sure the centre join on the scuttle is sealed, thats where the water mainly gets in and runs down the plate under the join onto the engine and collects in the injector bases. OK it shouldnt happen but there are recalls on it.

Check with your local Fiat/Peugot Service Centre and your suppplying MH dealer.

Regards

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Exustrek

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
Biddulph, Stoke-On-Trent
Funster No
Hiya Mike

Had our Fiat done last November, also have an extended TaylorMade screen so don't really know yet just how effective the fix has been, although i have to say that our local Fiat dealer (Platts of Longton) seem to have done a very neat job.

Van is booked in for it's first annual service at the end of next month & we're having the engine cover fitted at the same time, these were not available for the 3.0l engines early November.

JCM is right, the engine covers aren't offered to you, you have to ask......... i did so politely & was told no problem.

Just checked the worksheet for the recall work we had done (7 jobs in total) & there is no official code & no mention at all of the scuttle work we had done. The only reference to water ingress relates to the wiper motor.

Fiat recall codes :
5219 Steering rack lubrication
5221 Injector corrosion protection
5222 ABS control unit cover
5223 Wiper motor water ingress
5247 ECU flash update
5248 Incorrect starter fuse

Prolly not much help to you & your Peugot, but at least you know what's been made available over on the Fiat side of the fence.

Bryan

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi again, thanks for all your great information. I have contacted Matthewman's, our local Peugeot dealer and they booked it in with no problems, and no charge. I will make sure they check the other items you told us about at the same time.

We bought the Tailormade long silver screens specifically to cover all the vents, but a proper fix is a much better idea, if it will solve the problem altogether.

Thanks again

Mike

>:):thumb:

buccaneer

Free Member
Oct 14, 2007
Funster No
Today I have received a letter from VOSA saying that under the terms pof the code of practice on vehicle safety Defects that Vosa now have sufficient evidence to warrant an action against peugeot to take necessary action to correct the defects.

At last i know Fiat have helped their customers but Peugeot refused to fit engine covers and keep saying the problem is cosmetic Well VOSA do not agree to that spin so I hope now the problem gets resolved totally.:thumb:

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Peugeot Problems

Thanks for the information Buccaneer, do you have any news on the other faults identified on the Fiat? Although our local Peugeot dealer did a fantastic job on the water ingress, they did know about the other faults highlighted by the previous post.

Is there any way of finding out whether problems identified on the Fiat will be the same on the Peugeot?

Mike

buccaneer

Free Member
Oct 14, 2007
Funster No
Is there any way of finding out whether problems identified on the Fiat will be the same on the Peugeot?

Mike
Yesterday 03:41 PM

I do not know some will be checked when you take your van in depending on chassis number,a cover was fitted over the ABS unit and there has been a check on handbrakes but thay was on very early models.
In my completed form/report I also wrote about reverse judder.

The big problem was the water ingress and now VOSA take that as a safety problem, part of this is also water coming through the wiper spindles.

Once this is finally resolved the base Peugeot Boxer 111 is a very good machine.

The BIG problem was/is Peugeots customer care or do we now call this customer sales prevention because the way we have been lied to and spun many different lines does not sit right with a major motor company,if they had been honest put their hands up and told the truth then I would have repected them.
You should not need to get other parties like VOSA involved.

The VOSA contact numbers came from a ferocious Scottish lady on another forum so she must take some credit.

Last edited:
U

Us2&thedog

Deleted User
Push Peugeot for Fix

Just taken my 08 reg Boxer to dealer for water ingress problem. The guy said, in all fairness, that most Boxers end up as builder's vans or white van man's transport and they generally don't give a monkey's about what happens under the bonnet therefore it's not until a motorhome owner complains that they are aware of a problem. They couldn't fix water problem there and then but did upload (or maybe it was download) new software to engine E.C.U. (supposed to make the engine run smoother) but have arranged for the motorhome to go in for a day to have the offending 'gutter' bonded to bottom of windscreen and the joint in the middle to be sealed. Also a quick fix is to check that the blue mud filter on the driver's end of the gutter is clean and fixed in properly. The one on mine was about two inches above the gutter. Watch this space, but at present full marks to Peugeot dealer Crawley Down Motors in Crawley for their assistance.

worky

Free Member
Mar 6, 2008
worcester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2008
peugeot boxer water ingress

hello all felt I had to join in this, only picked up new Starburst two weeks ago and went outside this afternoon when it was tipping down, lifted bonnet and sure enough water pouring in. rang local peugeot dealers who said they were unaware of problem so rang Peugeot customer (dont)care who said they should be blah blah and gave me number of another dealer who I rang, and guess what, they knew nothing about it either so I told them wot Customer (dont)care told me ie look at Dealer network go onto "Service box" then "info flashes" where there was full info -which he did? again no info n couldn't help me because he wouldn't be paid by Peugeot for work so back to Customer (couldn't give a s***) care who "no sorry can't ring dealer but dealer could ring them" sooo back to dealer who said he would ring you know who and he would then ring me back n guess what - he didn't. have now emailed Fleetcare@peugeot asking for explanation and solution but won't hold me breath. anybody got any thoughts, would like particularly to hear from Mr Swift:Angry:

badger1

Free Member
Jan 8, 2008
forest of dean glos
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
3 years and caravanning 25 years
water ingress /recall jobs on PEUGEOT BOXER

Hi folks, why is it some people can get dealers to admit to probs on Peugeot boxer based motor homes and others cannot get the dealers to admit anything at all?
Firstly ,can any one come up with exactly which years are affected?
Secondly, can anyone come up with the relevant info on what exactly VOSA is doing about this ignorant ,stick your head in the sand, company called Peugeot?
I have recently spoken to Peugeot couldnt care less service at the head office and they would not even admit to there ever being a problem on the water ingress and there are certainly no recalls at all in operation.
Our van is a 2005 boxer based unit with the 2.2 hdi fitted and the injectors have gone rusty but I have kept everthing sprayed with a rust preventative since new so the damage is not too bad and I have not seen water getting in to this area when lifting the bonnet in wet weather. If I was in charge of the country! The first thing I would do is order a massive shake up in the caravanning/motor homing industry to make it more accountable to its customers!
I cannot think of another industry that treats its' customers with such distain/contempt once they have taken your money. Sure, there are a few good dealers out there,mostly smaller family run concerns, but I would say from my dealings with some concerns ,Peugeot included, the majority of us are getting the run around. As a closer my mate has had probs with his fairly new peugeot CAR and has had work done with the utmost courtesy and speed. Regards Badger1 :Angry:

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Water Ingress on Peugeot Boxer

Hi folks, why is it some people can get dealers to admit to probs on Peugeot boxer based motor homes and others cannot get the dealers to admit anything at all?

Hi Badger, sorry you are having no luck with your local Peugeot dealer, if you live anywhere near South Yorkshire I can't recommend Matthewman's highly enough.

We were having a problem because Autocruise had not fitted a radio aerial in our new Starburst so I contacted Peugeot head office explained the situation and they called back the following day and authorised Matthewman's to fit a windscreen aerial with booster free of charge!

When we took the Starburst in to have the aerial fitted, I mentioned the water ingress and he said, "no problem we know all about that and are putting the problem right on 2 or 3 vans a week".

Hope you can get the problem sorted!

Ginny

worky

Free Member
Mar 6, 2008
worcester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2008
water ingress - success at last!

well at last getting some positive work done re water ingress on my Starburst.
went into Warners of Tewkesbury on Sat expecting engine cover (3Ltr) and scuttle fix, only had cover fitted because they hadn't been authorised to do scuttle as well so big disappointment but got straight onto Peugeot customer care and today received ok to take motorhome back in on Friday to have proper job done on scuttle and window seal. It seems the only way to get something done is to nag,nag and nag some more. By the way can thoroughly recommend Paul McGee of Warners who was very helpful and sympathetic :thumb:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
A further chapter in this saga.
I have been in contact with the local Peugeot dealer since buying our MH nearly 12 months ago. I have made regular contact to discuss the ongoing problems with the water ingress. Each time they would say waiting for Peugeot.
So I took steps to make sure the problem did not cause any further damage. Spraying copious amounts of WD40 on various pasrts of the engine & under bonnet items has so far protected it. A peice of guttering fastened to the top of the engine caught the water that dripped through the scuttle & directed it away to the side.
Last week time for a service, so together with info from the forums booked in to have recall items done, as code YLH recall, plus service.
Picked up today & disapointed to find no work done on water ingress. Called dealer to find out what is going on.
The recall jobs were carried out in accordance with instructions supplied by Peugeot based on chassie number.
It seems that some chassis numbers are to be fixed but others are not, but only Peugeot could axplain why if they chose to!
Our chassis number indicated no work on water ingress, apart from fitting covers to various parts to protect them from the water. Not the engine though.
So back to dealer ... whats going on?
"Sorry but only did as Peugeot instructed. Bring back again next week and we will fix, at our cost. Why don't Peugeot get their act together & just do it for all owners, we don't know" said the dealer.
So there appears there is a conspiracy only fix the ones belonging to the most complaining customers.
Maybe some dealers are at fault but they clearly have issues with Peugeot as well.
Incidently the dealer, David Hayton from Carlisle, said in their opinion the design is at fault, & knew about the problem, & would fix it for us.
I have nothing but praise for the dealer who I think has been very fair with us.
I will post the outcome next week & see if the dealer is a good as his word. :thumb:

Sorry this has been such a long post.:whatthe:

Last edited:
A

atcoTom

Deleted User
1995 model Boxer

Have you any knowledge of water ingress affecting this early model and, if so, is there any solution ?

Many thanks

B

Beanstick

Deleted User

Hi Badger, sorry you are having no luck with your local Peugeot dealer, if you live anywhere near South Yorkshire I can't recommend Matthewman's highly enough.

We were having a problem because Autocruise had not fitted a radio aerial in our new Starburst so I contacted Peugeot head office explained the situation and they called back the following day and authorised Matthewman's to fit a windscreen aerial with booster free of charge!

When we took the Starburst in to have the aerial fitted, I mentioned the water ingress and he said, "no problem we know all about that and are putting the problem right on 2 or 3 vans a week".
WAS YOUR WINDSCREEN AERIAL A SUCCES?
Hope you can get the problem sorted!

Ginny

T

torita

Deleted User
water ingress

after many moans to dealers and customer care peugot i have just had my boxer water ingress prob done,ie-- cover to bottom of windscreen,plates on engine,and a pipe from the brkt to rear of engine. we will see over time what this does:Smile:.
i have it on good authority that peugot will only do this work if the customer keeps on moaning at them,so keep at em whenever you can

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
it's not just Peugeot, Fiat will only do it if requested. Had mine done earlier part of this year and it solved the prob:thumb:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
after many moans to dealers and customer care peugot i have just had my boxer water ingress prob done,ie-- cover to bottom of windscreen,plates on engine,and a pipe from the brkt to rear of engine. we will see over time what this does:Smile:.
i have it on good authority that peugot will only do this work if the customer keeps on moaning at them,so keep at em whenever you can

What "good authority" did you consult to gain this info?

john jones

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
Funster No

Mike

Having the same problem with our Peugeot Boxer Autocruise Starblazer. Have been in touch with Peugeot UK who say that it is an inherent problem. Taking
the motorhome to the garage tomorrow who are trying to sort it out.

John

Rocles

Free Member
Oct 10, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Along with one or two others :Eeek: our Boxer-based Compass Avantgarde 120 has had the Water Ingress in the engine bay problem. So far, it has had all Recalls done (YLH, and today, YNH). Before talaking it in today, I contacted both Peugeot and the local Dealer regarding my concerns that it was still leaking, and the amount of rust on the Injectors. After some, ahem, assertive conversation with the Dealer, they agreed to look at the Rust and rectify it. This they have done, see pic. They also said "there's a fix that WILL cure it, but you have to pay for it" This turns out to be the wonderfully named Evacuation Pipe. Here's a pic of it in place -

Link Removed

With MUCH protest, I paid for this (36 pounds inc), and to their credit, they fitted it without a Labour charge, and sold it at Trade price.

Peugeot themselves, on the other hand, have not got back to me yet. I have been assured that a Customer Relations Manager will contact me by tomorrow afternoon, after I basically said THEY should provide this part Free (as do Fiat) to correct THEIR design fault! I await their response with interest....

Here's a pic of our nice clean Injectors -

Link Removed

Les

Rocles

Free Member
Oct 10, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Reply to my own post....just had some stern dialogue with a Peugeot Customer Services Manager. I reiterated that I should not have to pay for a design fault...they said "its not a fault, its a characteristic" !!!!!!!!!! :ROFLMAO: Oh how I laughed. I expressed my displeasure, and told him this alone will stop me buying another Peugeot car (which I have been considering). He then tried to blame the Dealer for charging for the item. What a joke.

We shall see if the Pipe works...I have his assurance (!) that it will, and that should it not, they will fit the Engine Cover free of charge.

Unbelievable that we all have to do this nonsense.

New Rover

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Funster No
The Peugeot Customer Service Manager is correct by stating that the dealer was wrong to charge for the part.
I purchased an Elddis Autoquest 130 last October and I have had the water ingress work done as you have had done but I have also insisted on having the Engine cover fitted as well at no cost and I am just awating word on it arriving so that I can take my wagon in to have the work completed.
So I suggest you go back to your dealer and insist on a refund.

mikel

Free Member
Mar 24, 2008
Funster No
We have a Fiat and when it rained the engine got a good soaking too.

Much of the stuff Fiat does is dealing with the leak inside the compartment and not dealing with the problem, namely scuttle, headlights, bonnet to body gap (both sides) and A-post water leak sources. Fitting ad-hoc bits of plastic to deflect the water is a bit like placing buckets inside a house with a leaking roof and even then the FIAT buckets have leaks.

OK so they replace the scuttle and seal the joint but what about the holes in the bottom of the pockets at either end of the scuttle ? (Have a close look with a torch).
I put in two 1/2" hoses to drain the water at either end, running the hoses to a clear location. Better that than having water inside some of the electronic components directly below one of the drain holes.

I re-sealed the scuttle and the joint myself.

Sealed around the headlights.

I also fitted foam strips to either side of the bonnet so that when the bonnet closes the bonnet edges seal with the body.

I turned on the hose and blasted the front of the vehicle for a few minutes and not a drop of water !! I was surprised, no I was shocked !

I agree I shouldn't have had to 'fix' it myself but it would appear that the FIAT fix is not the solution, just the easy way out.

Rocles

Free Member
Oct 10, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Thanks all for the further info. I appreciate some of you have made DIY fixes, and good ones too, but really wonder how this sits with any future Warranty claims? They will wriggle out of paying in any way they can , I can just hear the dialogue "what's this, you drilled holes in it yourself, Sir?...sorry, void Warranty....." :Eeek:

mikel

Free Member
Mar 24, 2008
Funster No
Even with all the Fiat modifications to date water will still enter the compartment. At either end of the scuttle are two drain holes in to the engine bay.
Water drains on to cable looms, ABS and the fuse box.
Water, electricity, connectors, engine management software and time do not mix.
Fault finding will be near on impossible where damage has been caused by water.
Even if such a fault has been rectified it will, or similar, happen again if the cause is not rectified. There will be no respect for two year warranties as far as the nature of failure is concerned.

The scuttle is at fault and needs a complete re-design. This will not happen. It is cheaper to let the warranty expire and then deny that water is the source fault.

You may be lucky and get away with it thereagain a shower of rain in Spain could indeed be the beginning of the end of your tour (substitute Spain for France, Portugal, Italy etc )

So I agree that FIAT might get a bit difficult regarding the warranty however after two years your on your own. There is a problem with water 'leaking' to the engine compartment and that will continue. In my opinion if you can do something about a known problem that is likely to have major consequences go ahead. Fiat will not re-design the scuttle as that means a major re-design to the front of the vehicle.
And I have no doubts that if you try to argue that water was the problem after two years they will ask you to prove it.

As for my mod I did not have to drill any holes, I just used the Fiat holes !

Last edited:

buccaneer

Free Member
Oct 14, 2007
Funster No
Drain pipes like this?

Link Removed

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
No More Water Ingress

Hi again, thanks for all your great information. I have contacted Matthewman's, our local Peugeot dealer and they booked it in with no problems, and no charge. I will make sure they check the other items you told us about at the same time.

We bought the Tailormade long silver screens specifically to cover all the vents, but a proper fix is a much better idea, if it will solve the problem altogether.

Thanks again

Mike

>:):thumb:
As many of you will know the water problem on the new chassis is ongoing the same as the last new chassis. After many lengthy chats with my local Peugeot dealer he could not find a cure. When home I gazed into the engine and a possible cure was designed. I cut up an old plastic water bottle , fitted a metre of pipe and connected the crude device to the wiper mount. After leaving the hose turned on for 15 minutes I lifted the bonnet, cured. We then toured Scotland for 3 weeks and still a very dry engine. I went back to my dealer and after a few moments he said he would be in touch soon. Sure enough two weeks later he called me back with the motorhome and fitted a proper fabricated funnel complete with hose. No more water and no cover required. The said bonnet covers are damaging to the paint. I discovered this to my cost a few years ago when Fiat/Peugeot introduced the last new cab and it was a disaster with water. The covers make the paint sweat, the seller will deny this, but a repair bill I have will tell a different story. Anyway good luck with the funnel part as Peugeot will probably deny it's existance.
Wiljoy

warwick

Free Member
Sep 16, 2008
Funster No
Peugeot - Water Ingress

I`ve just taken delivery of an X250 and it came with an engine cover fitted and the centre join in the scuttle sealed. The bottom line with motorhomes if you leave them sat on the drive for long periods in winter water will find its way in and leaves will block the drain I will keep mine covered with a taylormade cover extra length. The water leaking through the centre of the scuttle was undoubtably a problem but on the whole it seems to be yet another overblown issue. We have a Peugeot 307 and a Honda Civic and both of these scuttles pass water through the engine bay.
Our last van was a 2.8JTD "A" Class after a couple of drives of the X250 it seemed we had owned a tractor for five years. The previous 2.8TDi was even noisier.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back