Peugeot Boxer Water Ingress on Engine (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Peugeot - About Turn !!!!!

Thanks to a referal from another forum (from dshague David)

Link Removed

I contacted Robin & Day, Sheffield Peugeot and asked if they knew of the engine cover upgrade being fitted to Peugeot Boxers.

The man from Peugeot said YES

So we are booked in on Monday, fitted under warranty and they are going to check the scuttle etc at the same time!!

Result! it has only taken 12 months, loads of phone calls, emails and letters! :thumb::thumb::ROFLMAO:

Ginny and Mike

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Tray and Pipe

This modification was carried out by my Peugeot Dealer in August, result no more water in the injectors.
Peugeot ARE fitting covers. A friend of mine works for a motorhome manufacturer and the covers are fitted when the chassis arrives.
Wiljoy

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Bonnet grill covers

The subject of water ingress just goes on.
I recently purchased a pair of magnetic covers for the bonnet vents. These are fitted over the grills while the vehicle is parked up for any length of time. NO water then enters the engine bay as the magnetic covers seal the vents. Very pleased with yet another gadget to keep the engine dry.
Wiljoy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

worky

Free Member
Mar 6, 2008
worcester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2008
I recently purchased a pair of magnetic covers for the bonnet vents. These are fitted over the grills while the vehicle is parked up for any length of time. NO water then enters the engine bay as the magnetic covers seal the vents. Very pleased with yet another gadget to keep the engine dry.
Wiljoy

hi wiljoy - can you tell me where you bought these covers from please
thanks worky

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
Wiljoy

Hi

This is where my "long line" Taylormade silverscreens come in handy.I didn`t buy them for this reason but they have helped,especially before any of the FiART fixes became available.:thumb:

steve

bullyfuller201

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Funster No
Water feature turned ice feature

after many moans to dealers and customer care peugot i have just had my boxer water ingress prob done,ie-- cover to bottom of windscreen,plates on engine,and a pipe from the brkt to rear of engine. we will see over time what this does:Smile:.
i have it on good authority that peugot will only do this work if the customer keeps on moaning at them,so keep at em whenever you can
Hi I hope your mods turn out better than mine , i have a 07 Fiat i had mods done about a year ago , Have just had to leave my van in italy as water made its way into timing belt area and froze causing belt to jump 4 teeth and when tried to start it bent valves. Two weeks earlier ice had formed around A/C compressor and ripped that belt to pieces. I know ski resorts in the Alps are extreme but i have been taking Fiat/peugoet based vans skiing for 15 years with no problem. Can you imagine my embaresment been towed off watched by owners of 20 year old Talbots ! I think the problem was caused by the combination of daytime temperatures of plus 10 and night time lows of minus 20. Thats the last time i will take a Fiat skiing looks like i will have to by German next .

bullyfuller201

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Funster No
Water feature turned ice feature

Reading another forum there may be a engine guard which fits both Fiat and yours have you spoken to your Dealer.
Hi my 07 Fiat was recalled and had all mods done by fiat at 6 months old , but during my annual skiing tour the water still got in and froze all over the engine including inside the timing belt cover and ripped the timing belt off bending valves etc , its currently is in a italian garage in a million bits and i had to bring a hire car home. I think the new engine cover kept the injectors dry (ish) and funnelled it into the cambelt . This is my 5th and last FIAT

warwick

Free Member
Sep 16, 2008
Funster No
Yes thats exactly what the engine cover can do, after very heavy rain on start up loud squealing can happen for a few seconds so in those temperatures disaster struck. I use a long line Taylor made when the van is not in use seems to be the most effective way of keeping the engine compartment dry.

Oct 23, 2009
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T690G
Exp
Since 2011
We have 1995 Auto sleeper on a Boxer base. Despite using silver screen vent covers and other covers, water is still coming into the footwell at the back centre that is, against the bulkhead. Has anybody else experienced or fixed this? Can't follow the trail much further without dismantling the whole thing!:cry:

tugpilot

Free Member
Feb 22, 2010
Funster No
Boxer Problems

Hello all, just returned to motorcaravanning after several years, our new M/H will be an Autocruise Accent 2.2 on a boxer chassis, I read with interest the problems regarding this mode, armed with all the info provided on this web site i went off to my local Peugot dealer in Lincoln.
Met the service manager and explained all, no problem, he knows all about the faults, the reverse shudder which does not happen on the van only M/Hs, several have been in and sorted , a flash update first, if no fix it is a gearbox strip, 2 days, it would appear the problem, not on all i must add, is a gearing problem, so if ours is juddering i know i can sort it.
Same with the water ingress, a fix is there, not all appear to have this fault or they dont get wet enough.
A very helpful dealership, but as always the proof is in the pudding?

We pick up our new van next week and are looking forward to putting it to good use.

Also look forward to any comments from Accent owners on this web site?

All the best and happy Motorcaravanning in the summer.

Derek

deepstar

Free Member
Dec 27, 2007
lancashire
Funster No
MH
autocruise
Exp
30+
accent

hj
can you let me know how you get on with your new accent
i have one on order ive been quoted 1st of july for delivery
cant find any one that has one at the moment
does this model sufferfrom thereverse judder???? and leeking bonnet??if you or any one as info on the accent plese get in toch
regards deepstar

Hello all, just returned to motorcaravanning after several years, our new M/H will be an Autocruise Accent 2.2 on a boxer chassis, I read with interest the problems regarding this mode, armed with all the info provided on this web site i went off to my local Peugot dealer in Lincoln.
Met the service manager and explained all, no problem, he knows all about the faults, the reverse shudder which does not happen on the van only M/Hs, several have been in and sorted , a flash update first, if no fix it is a gearbox strip, 2 days, it would appear the problem, not on all i must add, is a gearing problem, so if ours is juddering i know i can sort it.
Same with the water ingress, a fix is there, not all appear to have this fault or they dont get wet enough.
A very helpful dealership, but as always the proof is in the pudding?

We pick up our new van next week and are looking forward to putting it to good use.

Also look forward to any comments from Accent owners on this web site?

All the best and happy Motorcaravanning in the summer.

Derek

bullyfuller201

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Funster No
Fiat may it worse !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Could anybody tell me if Peugeot and Fiat have agreed a fix on the water ingress problem on the engines of their newer models??

We bought an extended silver screen, which effectively covers the holes when we are stood, but obviously not when we are travelling. I have heard that Fiat were agreeing a fix, but have heard nothing about Peugeot models.

Mike

HI
Mt 2007 Fiat based hobby was modified by Fiat at about a year old , The new windscreen scuttle and drain tube did,nt work so water still poured over the engine on to the new engine cover that merly diverted water on to drive belts causing slip and while in the Alps froze inside timing bely area causing ice to form when i started in morning bent valves etc . Cost me 4k in Italy for repair . Fiat said very nicely were not paying a penny towards it , so i am in process of taking them to court, but they have agreed to sort clutch judder problem is they can,t find a Fiat dealer to take a 5 ton van and have now asked me to find one UMMMMMMMMMM ! . Buy a Ford or Merc or Anything but fiat

TeeCee

Free Member
Jan 24, 2015
romford, essex
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-4
Exp
Since 2011
Help!...Bit confused!....My Boxer is of the 2012/13 vintage....should I be concerned re this water ingress problem?
Thanks,

TeeCee

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
since 2015 previously caravaning 25 years
Yes you should be concerned.

Due to the rubbish design of the black plastic scuttle panel at the base of the windscreen, water runs behind and between the two halves then runs onto and underneath the black plastic engine cover swamping the injectors. On the Peugeot engine water ingress around the injectors is not such a problem as if the vehicle had a Fiat engine as those injectors become corroded into the cylinder head, obviously the idea of the engine cover is to protect but it doesn't work in practice.
The leaks are fixable but only if everything is removed, properly cleaned and refixed with an alternative to the original sponge seals !
If your vehicle is not yet 3 years old then it is warranty work and even if it's out of warranty you still may be able to get the work done foc as the original design was never fit for purpose and a known fault on all X250 models.
We have just had ours done under warranty but it's now worse than before they touched it so it's going back again !

The same 2.2 engine in a transit of the same year has a one piece scuttle panel with adequate drains and doesn't leak, also the engine cover is properly designed and works fine, good look with the Peugeot dealers

TeeCee

Free Member
Jan 24, 2015
romford, essex
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-4
Exp
Since 2011
Spanner....thanks so much for this detailed and very useful info/advice. I am still (just about) within the 3 year warranty period so will act swiftly. Thanks again and I'll update here as to progress.
All the best.
TeeCee

TeeCee

Free Member
Jan 24, 2015
romford, essex
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-4
Exp
Since 2011
Spoke with my dealer today....gave all necessary details and they checked the Peugeot (I assume) database which showed NO such recalls. So, just sent off email to Peugeot HQ to see what they say. Will keep in touch.

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
since 2015 previously caravaning 25 years
Spoke with my dealer today....gave all necessary details and they checked the Peugeot (I assume) database which showed NO such recalls. So, just sent off email to Peugeot HQ to see what they say. Will keep in touch.

It should have been a recall but obviously they wouldn't want to admit it even though almost every vehicle leaks in the same place, if yours is leaking they will do it free of charge within 3 years from date of registration.

If it was out of warranty any decent windscreen fitter would fix it properly and at a fraction of the dealer price !

All the best

Dave68

Free Member
Mar 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Boxer
Along with one or two others :Eeek: our Boxer-based Compass Avantgarde 120 has had the Water Ingress in the engine bay problem. So far, it has had all Recalls done (YLH, and today, YNH). Before talaking it in today, I contacted both Peugeot and the local Dealer regarding my concerns that it was still leaking, and the amount of rust on the Injectors. After some, ahem, assertive conversation with the Dealer, they agreed to look at the Rust and rectify it. This they have done, see pic. They also said "there's a fix that WILL cure it, but you have to pay for it" This turns out to be the wonderfully named Evacuation Pipe. Here's a pic of it in place -

Link Removed

With MUCH protest, I paid for this (36 pounds inc), and to their credit, they fitted it without a Labour charge, and sold it at Trade price.

Peugeot themselves, on the other hand, have not got back to me yet. I have been assured that a Customer Relations Manager will contact me by tomorrow afternoon, after I basically said THEY should provide this part Free (as do Fiat) to correct THEIR design fault! I await their response with interest....

Here's a pic of our nice clean Injectors -

Link Removed

Les
Please can you resend the images

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread