Free Member
Jul 21, 2014
Southampton
Funster No
MH
peugeot boxer motorhome
Exp
since the 70s
Hi, I am a newbee to this site. Apologies if it all goes wrong.
This is my first attempt at contacting you all.

I have a 2001 1.9 TD Peugeot Boxer motor home that has developed an intermittent key code fault. After using the van then switching it off, or stopping for railway gates/shops etc, it won't start and the key code light comes on. It starts again after a while.(I think it must be over-heating and then cooling down) I have tried it with all 3 keys, 2 black and 1 red. It still does the same. When starting it from cold it goes without a problem.
This was our initial problem with the van. Since typing this letter and trying various web sites for an answer I have taken the van to our local garage and they have removed the fuel immobiliser, replaced the transponder ring, and all is now ok.
Very expensive though, as it took approx 6hr to remove the old unit and rewire again.
£300.00 or thereabout +vat.
Still, no more worries for ‘er indoors’ now.

Ecky.

GeoMah

Free Member
Dec 2, 2014
Leek, Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Ravenna AutoSleep
Exp
I know this is quite an old thread but I have the same problem with a 2002 Boxer 1.9 TD but it has developed into a hard fault now. The code light never goes off so I can't start. The problem is particularly vexing as we are now stuck in the south of France and the local Peugeot dealer shows absolutely no interest in fixing the fault! I would be more than happy to pay £300 to get the fault fixed!
Does anyone know how the supplied "Peugeot Code" card works? I know there is a five digit code but what do you do with it? We were never given a red key when we bought the vehicle.
I have found a website which says they can reprogramme the ECU so that the immobiliser function is disabled - but first I have to find it and get it to them (in Leicester).
HELP! This is NOT Motorhome Fun!

George

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Had a similar problem with a previous van but after locking/unlocking several times with the plip it would work fine for a while, then do the same again

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 19, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 115
Exp
Few years
I had similar issue with a 1999 Boxer - one time when the AA man came he disconnected the battery for 30 mins and it seemed to fix it (until it happened again) - you could try that but you may need a code for your radio afterwards.

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
EEK i would try disconecting the battery for a good 30mins to an hour & then try every consevable method of entry, locking & starting possible.
Maybee even consider unlocking the fuel cap so as not to switch off once its running.

It could be a fault with either the ECU, KEY or Receiver in the column or even the fuel pump or other associated sensor & needs a computer to find it.

Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)
It sounds similar to a problem I had with an '04 reg fiat 2.8 jtd.
If you've got the owners manual it tells you how to do an emergency start using the numbers on the card.....it also says that it doesn't work with a diesel engine ! but it does....I had to use it twice in a day in France. The day after all was ok and the fault never recurred.

Hope you sort it.

Allen

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a very common fault with vans of that vintage. the solution is to have a competent auto electrician bypass the immobiliser. not complicated and in effect what thieves do to steal them. a proper job can be done in 1 1/2 hours

Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
a very common fault with vans of that vintage. the solution is to have a competent auto electrician bypass the immobiliser. not complicated and in effect what thieves do to steal them. a proper job can be done in 1 1/2 hours

I think the by-pass is only possible on the pre jtd (common rail) model. Check it out on the fiat forum.

Allen

GeoMah

Free Member
Dec 2, 2014
Leek, Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Ravenna AutoSleep
Exp
It sounds similar to a problem I had with an '04 reg fiat 2.8 jtd.
If you've got the owners manual it tells you how to do an emergency start using the numbers on the card.....it also says that it doesn't work with a diesel engine ! but it does....I had to use it twice in a day in France. The day after all was ok and the fault never recurred.

Hope you sort it.

Allen
Hi Allen, I can get hold of the code card (naturally I've left it at home - 1000 miles away!) but my manual doesn't tell me how to use it. On the assumption that it is the same as your Fiat, can you summarise how to use the code please?
George

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
This is a known and common issue..
It is almost always either the transponder ring either faulty or more often just needs its connection re-seating ( lord knows why as the plug / socket always looks ok, but for some reason fails to connect properly after time )

Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
Hi Allen, I can get hold of the code card (naturally I've left it at home - 1000 miles away!) but my manual doesn't tell me how to use it. On the assumption that it is the same as your Fiat, can you summarise how to use the code please?
George

I'll go look for it now.

Allen

Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
Hopefully I've attached a link to the fiat manual.....You'll have to join the fiat forum to acces it...costs nothing.

http://www.fiatforum.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=141

Also, try this...(from outandabout forum)

Underneath the steering wheel, on the steering column, the black cover can be unscrewed, 5 crosshead screws. This will expose the yellow immobiliser unit, approx 100mm x 60mm x 20mm (motorhome on the farm so can't look at exact measurements). At the underneath of the unit two small cables are connected to the yellow unit via connecting blocks. The smaller cable goes to the sensor below the ignition key barrel. The larger one goes to the engine fuel injector (control unit we think).

Unclip blocks, slide the blocks up and down the connecting pins to remove any oxidisation on the surface of the metal. Then put it together and try to start the engine.

Allen

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back