Peugeot Boxer gear box (1 Viewer)

Sep 3, 2013
Donington, Spalding
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
We're newbies
Hi everyone - I know a bit about checking levels and general routine maintenance on my vehicle a Peugeot Boxer 2.5 turbo diesel. It was first registered in 1997 and has done a genuine 53k miles. My problem is that on my last trip out this weekend I have experienced problems with the gear changing. If I am changing up from 2nd to 3rd or down from 4th to 3rd I am getting a grinding sound from the gear selector. This has never happened before and is only 3rd which is the problem.

Can someone please advise if this is a major problem or one that can possibly be cured without heavy expense

Thanks - John Hinch

gazza280

Free Member
Sep 26, 2012
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Hi

I have a Peugeot 2.8 2005 done 42000 miles recently had problems with gears grinding. Searched for a solution but kept coming up with the inherent problems with Boxers and Ducatos of water getting into the gearbox because of the short length of pipe that is supposed to take the run off of water from the grills under the windshield wipers.
A short search you will see this is a common problem.

I did not deal with the problem immediately it started, then a few weeks later had the problem selecting 5th gear. Then 5th came back and I lost 2nd.
The garage I normally use checked the linkages and tightened them up but the problem came back after about 50 miles. So I took the van to Bexhill gearboxes who have a great reputation in this area, and they did a long road test and decided that the only way to cure it was a complete gearbox rebuild, quoting £1450 ouch!!
Bit the bullet, they did the job in 3 days and I had a new clutch fitted too, well for £100 might as well while the gearbox was out.
Cut a long story short, now runs like a dream, gears are tighter and easy to select.

Water is a killer and can get into the engine bay in all sorts of ways Peugeot and Fiat know about this problem.

I am buying an external windscreen cover that is long enough to cover the grills under the wipers so when it rains I know water can't penetrate the engine bay.

Hope your problem isn't major but get it checked out soon.

Be lucky
Gary(y)

OP
OP
J
Sep 3, 2013
Donington, Spalding
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
We're newbies
Hi Gary - thanks very much for a very enlightening diagnosis of my problem. My symptons seem to tie in with what you experienced. Quite recently I had a small pool of water on the mat below the gear change which has probably run down from the grills. The water has obviously now found its way into the gears.

I will try and source someone dealing with gearbox problems here in rural South Lincolnshire and hopefully get it fixed before it becomes more serious.

Once again thanks for your experiences and advice in sorting my problem.

Cheers - John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bilimanjaro

Free Member
Jan 29, 2014
grimsby
Funster No
MH
autusleeper
Exp
ten years
Hi Gary - thanks very much for a very enlightening diagnosis of my problem. My symptons seem to tie in with what you experienced. Quite recently I had a small pool of water on the mat below the gear change which has probably run down from the grills. The water has obviously now found its way into the gears.

I will try and source someone dealing with gearbox problems here in rural South Lincolnshire and hopefully get it fixed before it becomes more serious.

Once again thanks for your experiences and advice in sorting my problem.

Cheers - John

bilimanjaro

Free Member
Jan 29, 2014
grimsby
Funster No
MH
autusleeper
Exp
ten years
send me a pm mate,,same similar problem on mine ..easy sort if you know how..

danica

Free Member
May 10, 2017
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Hey Bilimanjaro - I'm new but I've got the same problem, trying to figure out how to PM you.... any chance you can PM me with how you sorted this? on my 2nd gearbox, the mechanic found water in int eh gearbox, need any advice to sort this. cheers

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
OP was 2014!!!!!
Sure it's sorted now
Cheers, Dave(y)

danica

Free Member
May 10, 2017
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Trying to get Bilimanjaro to message me his tips on how to sort. I know original post was way back - but I've got the same problem NOW :(

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Yes, I too would like to know bilimanjaro's "easy sort" but he/she posted in 2014 and then was a read only funster. So even if he is still with us (in every sense, hopefully) one can't PM him/her.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Bilimanjaro is a "read only" member at the moment. Use search for how to cover scuttle panel, which is what the problem is allowing water to drain on to the top of gearbox.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Yes, I too would like to know bilimanjaro's "easy sort" but he/she posted in 2014 and then was a read only funster. So even if he is still with us (in every sense, hopefully) one can't PM him/her.

Try a google search on his forum name and location.

Lots of people use the same name for lots of things. You may find him elsewhere on the internet.

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
Try looking at my post on "Gear Problem" type in search on forum posted by tick 59 fun!!! fun!!! fun!!!

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks tick59. Found your post. Will wd40 and grease the linkage but will also look to fixing the scuttle where water drips onto the gearbox.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I personally wouldn't recommend this, it may lead to further problems...

There seems to be a bit of a misunderstanding here. I am not advocating putting water in the G/Box

The problem with the OPs G/Box could be/more than likely is, Water in the G/Box, caused by water dripping on to the box from the skuttle and seeping in thro the linkages.
This can lead to loss of syncro on 2nd &3rd, making it hard to get the gears, and can affect the Speedo drive (the bit INSIDE the G/Box) The part cost me £28, and £358 to get the damned thing put in, so I speak from experience.
All it not lost however Peugeot do have an up grade (still available) under £35 this drains the skuttle and leads the water to the other side of the engine.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back