Peugeot Boxer engine warning light - Help! (1 Viewer)

Oct 19, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 115
Exp
Few years
Hi all..

Just been out to the van and as usual, if I haven't used it during the week, I let the engine run on a weekend just to turn it over and give the battery a bit of a charge.

When out tonight, and started the van and everything seemed ok, after about 30 seconds the engine warning light came on - everything seems ok and engine is running - turned the van off, waited a few minutes, then restarted - the engine fires up and runs okay but the engine warning light came on straight away and stayed on.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong or where to start looking...its booked in for it's MOT on 19th Feb so really need to fix this first, or be sure that the van is ok to drive to a garage...

Any help appreciated:

rsz_img_0416_zpsw5qestbc.jpg

Thanks

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Go on ebay.. Buy a OBD2 scanner, read the code and see whats going on..
OR go garage and let them charge you £40-50 to give same answer.. It could be so many things.. Maybe just a bit of water in the fuel but that damn light will come on for anything. !! If it's something trivial the plug in scanner and software / app can reset things for you.

I have one of these, wifi and connects to ipad..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELM327-WI...998097?hash=item35e10d16d1:g:VBoAAOSwBahVWYg~

Lots of others available..

Also search here on FUN ref OBD2 and sure you will get a bit more info.

Last edited:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Wot Tonka sed (y) There's a million and one things it could be, some important and many not.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
RichardB
Oct 19, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 115
Exp
Few years
Hi. No, its a 2011 2.2 Diesel (2012 reg).

@tonka I'll get one of those things off eBay - its cheap enough - what software do you use on the iPad?

Richard

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I think it's called eobd facile. Or something like that. I sold my iPad and iPhone and gone android so need to sort some other app..
Was free to read codes but you need pay for the full version app if you want to do resets, was £10 ish..

Reactions: f6c

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Have you driven it much recently or have you just started it and let it run a while?
I have a Citroen that I use very infrequently and the engine management light comes on occasionally. A drive of a few miles and warming it up properly makes it go out and stay out.
I was told if the light is on with no loss of power it is usually a sensor, maybe in the emission control system. Not warming the engine up properly could cause it to come on. A good run will usually sort it.

OP
OP
RichardB
Oct 19, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 115
Exp
Few years
Its not been driven for a couple of weeks, but was ok when I ran it last sunday for an hour or so, just today with the light so maybe it just needs a run out...

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i keep a bluetooth compatible obd2 reader in the van and use torquepro on my phone or tablet to read and reset any data and codes. cost under £5 and is ideal for simple tasks. there are some on here advocate spending a lot more for more sophisticated tools, but i have found the cheap one is perfectly acceptable. failing that, I can get my hands on a pro one from a friend in the trade

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
Without checking to see what DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) is logged within the engine EMS (Engine Management System) it is pure speculation as to what has caused the MIL ( Malfunction Indicator Lamp, check engine light) from illuminating. A MIL lamp will occur when the EMS self check fails one of the emissions related tests. The MIL may go out after 3-4 ignition cycles but will still log a DTC in the EMS. Below is a post I did on a Landrover forum.

There are basically two types of DTC codes for OBDII Diagnostics:

Emissions related DTC's Tested DTC's Type A

1. Emissions related.
2. The Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) will be illuminated as soon as the error occurs.
3. Stores a freeze frame DTC after one failed driving cycle.( history DTC is stored )

Type B

1. Emissions related.
2. Sets a Pending Trouble Code after one failed driving cycle.
3. Clears a Pending Trouble Code after one successful driving cycle.
4. Turns on the MIL after two/three consecutive failed driving cycles.
5. Stores a Pending Trouble Code as a DTC after two consecutive failed driving cycles.

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC – Type A or Type B

The MIL will turn off after four consecutive driving cycles in which the diagnostic runs without a fault.
A history DTC will clear after 40 consecutive warm up cycles without a fault.
DTC(s) can be cleared by using a scan/diagnostic tool.

Non–Emissions Related DTCs, Untested DTC's

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

1. The Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) will not illuminate.
2. The ECM will record a DTC at the time the diagnostic fails.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC

A history DTC will clear after 40 consecutive warm up cycles without a fault.
DTC(s) can be cleared by using a scan/diagnostic tool.

How to read a DTC Code

The DTC value will help you narrow down the specific component or module in question. A DTC has a standardized format that can be interpreted as follows:
The first part of the DTC is the Alpha Designator. The alpha designator will be:

B - Body electronics (i.e., door and hood latches)
C - Chassis (i.e., traction control or ABS)
P - Powertrain (i.e., engine, transmission)
U - Network communications for the different control modules

Second Digit - Code Type
The second digit identifies whether the code is a generic code (same on all OBD-II equpped vehicles), or a manufacturer specific code.

0 = Generic (The diagnostic codes that are required by law on all OBD II systems are "generic" in the sense that all vehicle manufacturers use the same common code list and the same 16-pin diagnostic connector. Thus, a P0301 misfire code on a Ford means the same thing on a Vauxhall, Citroen, Toyota or Mercedes.)

1 = Enhanced ( Each vehicle manufacturers also have the freedom to add their own "enhanced" codes to provide even more detailed information about various faults. Enhanced codes also cover non-emission related failures that occur outside the engine control system. These include ABS codes, HVAC codes, airbag codes and other body and electrical codes.)

Third Digit - Sub-System

The third digit denotes the type of sub-system that pertains to the code

1 = Emission Management (Fuel or Air)
2 = Injector Circuit (Fuel or Air)
3 = Ignition or Misfire
4 = Emission Control
5 = Vehicle Speed & Idle Control
6 = Computer & Output Circuit
7 = Transmission
8 = Transmission
9 = SAE Reserved
0 = SAE Reserved

Fourth and Fifth Digits
These digits, along with the others, are variable, and relate to a particular problem code error number

So let's diagnose a DTC, I've picked P0404-73 EGR control circuit range/performance: actuator stuck closed

so we have:
P = Powertrain (engine, transmission)
0 = Generic
4 = Emissions control
0 4 =This is the specific error code within Emission control. In this case the EGR control circuit range/performance
-73= This is a specific problem, in this case the actuator is stuck closed. 72 means its stuck open.

HTH Brian.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RichardB
Oct 19, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 115
Exp
Few years
Hi all
I have got the reader today and just plugged it in. It says there is one Trouble and gives P0603 Internal Control Module Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Error

It sounds expensive! Any ideas anyone?

Thanks
Richard

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
with a kam error you first need to check that there is a permanent live on the pcm pin and a good earth. a common cause is a slightly loose plug or oxidised pins. could be as simple as unplugging and plugging back in the pcm to the loom. otherwise its often easier to get a qualified auto electrician to trace the fault

OP
OP
RichardB
Oct 19, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 115
Exp
Few years
I've used the app to reset the error and ran the van for a bit. Then I re-read the DTC and the error code doesn't come back - however the orange engine light is still on

I thought if I reset the error then the light should go out but it hasn't - does anyone know if this lists up when a service is due as we have had the van for a year this month and it got serviced before we collected it

Richard

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Go on ebay.. Buy a OBD2 scanner, read the code and see whats going on..
OR go garage and let them charge you £40-50 to give same answer.. It could be so many things.. Maybe just a bit of water in the fuel but that damn light will come on for anything. !! If it's something trivial the plug in scanner and software / app can reset things for you.

Very interesting.
Will it automatically find Fiat Ducato fault codes or do you need further software?
Will it reset the service intervals?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Very interesting.
Will it automatically find Fiat Ducato fault codes or do you need further software?
Will it reset the service intervals?

Seems to find a lot of codes.. I bought mine as light came on and it was a warning for DPF sensor.. Long story and there is a thread on here about it.
Not sure on service reset, usually you can do that without any tools, do a web search...

You buy the reader, download free app but to do any resets you need ful version and have to pay about £10.. It's useable on multi vehicles as you select the car/van when you open the app. I have used mine on Ducato, Peugeot 107 and a Vauxhall Zafira..

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
I've used the app to reset the error and ran the van for a bit. Then I re-read the DTC and the error code doesn't come back - however the orange engine light is still on

I thought if I reset the error then the light should go out but it hasn't - does anyone know if this lists up when a service is due as we have had the van for a year this month and it got serviced before we collected it

Richard
The service light I believe is a spanner shaped light (at least it is on our 2007 2.3) It comes on when it thinks one is due but does go off after a while if you ignore it.

GrumpyOM

Free Member
Mar 18, 2017
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic Autoq 155
Exp
10yrs
Hi. No, its a 2011 2.2 Diesel (2012 reg).

@tonka I'll get one of those things off eBay - its cheap enough - what software do you use on the iPad?

Richard
Hi
Can you give me the web site where you found the OBD2 meter which you purchased as I appear to have a problem with the same display on my dash.
Regards GrumpyOM

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Worth remembering that it is always OK to drive with the warning light on (assuming it hasn't forced limp mode in which case you probably wouldn't want to :)).

Nov 6, 2012
Guildford
Funster No
MH
3litre Bessacarr 765
Exp
Restarted 2012
Can suggest that as you have only run the engine in the drive the particulate sensor has become fouled up. My cure was to go for a run keeping the revs as high as practical so as to get the sensor hot enough to burn the deposits off.

GrumpyOM

Free Member
Mar 18, 2017
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
10yrs
Worth remembering that it is always OK to drive with the warning light on (assuming it hasn't forced limp mode in which case you probably wouldn't want to :)).
Hi Tony
Thanks for the info
Your comment is the same as I noticed no drop off of power or revs even up to 4K no problems. Lights Horn indecators all working.
It was just the alert sound disconcerting/annoying when you still have nearly 200 miles to cover on a Saturday Evening.
I`m hoping that someone has been able to purchase a cheap diagnostic tool/guage that we can all carry when we are out so we don`t get ourselves ripped off by guarages saying we have more damage than the tool lets us know

GrumpyOM

Free Member
Mar 18, 2017
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
10yrs
Can suggest that as you have only run the engine in the drive the particulate sensor has become fouled up. My cure was to go for a run keeping the revs as high as practical so as to get the sensor hot enough to burn the deposits off.
Hi
Can I ask how many revs which gear 3,4,5 and for what distance.

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
Hi
Can I ask how many revs which gear 3,4,5 and for what distance.
In my wife's Vectra diesel (fiat engine) she has this issue as she only potters around town so I normally get it on the local dual carriageway , put it in 3rd take it upto 60mph (approx. 3200rpm) and drive like for around 5 miles turn off the engine restart and the engine management light has rest

Nov 6, 2012
Guildford
Funster No
MH
3litre Bessacarr 765
Exp
Restarted 2012
Hi, use the appropriate gear so you can hold around 3,000rpm. I know it will use a bit of diesel but suggest about 10 miles until the engine and exhaust are really hot.
My dil had a flash diesel Jaguar in which she only did short trips and she was frequently going back to the garage to have the management light reset. I'm sure they just trashed it up the motorway for a short distance to get it hot.

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
since 2015 previously caravaning 25 years
Your problem may possibly be due to the DPF becoming blocked due to the short running periods when the engine is cold, if this is the case the DPF warning light would be lit.
The regeneration process will never occur unless the engine is up to temperature along with at least a quarter tank of fuel and the ECU triggering the regeneration process, this normally happens automatically and is generally unnoticed by the driver in normal use.

There's no need to trash the engine at high revs but the engine must be at normal temperature !

Peugeot say the vehicle should be driven as soon as possible, at a speed of at least 40 mph and an engine speed of over 2,000 rpm for about fifteen minutes (until the warning lamp and/or message disappear). If, possible avoid switching off the engine before the light and message have disappeared.

You may find the link below informative

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I use this on my iPhone and iPad.

It's a free download and allows you to buy the obi reader after you download it:)
IMG_3360.PNG
IMG_3358.PNG
IMG_3359.PNG

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Not wanting to be too much of a scare monger but if it happens often then get a garage to check out the fueling system.
I had the problem for a longtime on my Citroen 2.2 and bought an OBD reader that indicated the problem was excess exhaust gas, so I just deleted the code and the van went back to running perfectly . . . until the next time and so I did the same thing again, just deleted the code.
As a result of this the overfueling problem that was causing the excess exhaust gas eventually the engine went out with a big bang and then seized up. The result was I needed a new engine.
So as I said, if it happens a lot it's worth getting your friendly Peaugot dealer to check it out, a few quid or so could end up saving you a lot of dosh.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
My Peugeot 207 HDI has a similar problem. If I'm sitting parked with my radio switched on and the engine off, the radio will automatically switch off after 30 minutes (economy mode) to save you running the battery down. Only way to get the radio back on is by running the engine. Quite often soon after having the engine tick over for 15 minutes or more the engine warning light comes on and I get a message saying there is a problem with my anti-pollution emissions and to get it seen to. Only way I can get rid this warning is to run the car at 50mph or more in third gear either up a long steep hill near my home or for about 10 miles on the flat. I now carry a small DAB radio in my car which I listen to after my car radio cuts out and goes into economy mode. It's a bloody nuisance, it's the only thing I dislike about the car. :whistle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back