Peugeot Boxer and similar (1 Viewer)

ICDJ_staffs

Free Member
May 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Hi community
I have come here as we are needing some advice as we start on our motorhome journey.

We are looking at buying our first motorhome. We are at the lower price range as we don't want to take out a big loan/finance. We are finding we like those based on the Peugeot/Renault Boxer base. Specifically we found a couple that we love but the MOT history has shown lots of corrosion throughout the undersides which has subsequently been repaired, question is should we be put off? All thoughts appreciated

Many thanks

Mar 12, 2021
Renfrew Scotland
Funster No
MH
kontiki sport
Exp
20 years tugging .5 years MOH.
Corrosion can be repaired but not eradicated so if you purchase a van with history make sure it’s got a year’s mot on it and be prepared to ether spend on it next year, or scrap it.

• Informative
Reactions: f6c
Upvote 1

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
Depending on what age your looking at but most older vehicles will have some corrosion issues boxers have inner wing and front jacking points as the main problem I think but if it's been repaired properly and not done by bodgit and scarper you should be ok or if you fancy an autosleeper duetto based on a transit I'm selling mine in a couple of weeks and that's never been welded and hasnt got any corrosion problems that I know of

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Take a good look at the MOT history of older vans, you get a feel for the way they were cared for and an indication of what to look for. The peugeot boxer is the fiat ducato is the citroen relay, they are even now made on the same production line with different engine options and badges. However they are all the same base vehicle and all rot underneath long before it shows on body panels. It is massively expensive to repair properly and most get patched up here and there to get through the next MOT test

Upvote 0

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Corrosion can be repaired but not eradicated so if you purchase a van with history make sure it’s got a year’s mot on it and be prepared to ether spend on it next year, or scrap it.
I'm afraid I disagree, when I first started working for myself in 2010 I bought a 06 plate Transit that needed inner sills after two years, I had them replaced for the MOT. The company that did the sills told me it was 'going' underneath and I should get 12 months ticket on it and get shut, I'm just in the process of swapping it in for a newer van now, it's never seen a welder since.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Mar 12, 2021
Renfrew Scotland
Funster No
MH
kontiki sport
Exp
20 years tugging .5 years MOH.
I would say you’ve been lucky, most vehicles in my experience requiring underbody welding are on
There way out requiring more welding for the next mot.

Upvote 0
Jun 13, 2021
Leeds, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120 low-line
Exp
Autumn 2020
Not so corrosion can be eliminated, but its all about cost. To re pair correctly whole sections of metal need to be removed back past the corroded area. Then new metal welded in. In most cases the owner wouldn't want to pay the bill. So what Ya get are patches which if seem welded should last year's.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back