Free Member
Jan 8, 2011
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class,
Exp
Since July 2010
Engine failure to limp mode. 22k on clock. Who with authority can say that it's doubtful that the filter was changed at service intervals, or that it had been filled with dirty diesel. I'll wait for the replies please.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Depends which year it is but on my 2012 I believe that it’s 25000 miles before it has to be changed, certainly not at every service.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Engine failure to limp mode. 22k on clock.

What do the diagnostic codes indicate as a possible cause?

Who with authority can say that it's doubtful that the filter was changed at service intervals, or that it had been filled with dirty diesel. I'll wait for the replies please.

Service history? What do the invoices say? Check the date code as above. If you need a report on the diesel you'll need to engage an expert, but they will only be able to tell you the condition of the fuel currently in the tank, not prove where it came from or how long it's been there.

OP
OP
grahammay2

grahammay2

Free Member
Jan 8, 2011
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class,
Exp
Since July 2010

Service history? What do the invoices say? Check the date code as above. If you need a report on the diesel you'll need to engage an expert, but they will only be able to tell you the condition of the fuel currently in the tank, not prove where it came from or how long it's been there.

Service history is in place says the main agents Motorhome dealer. Book stamped but no invoices. They blame putting in dirty fuel. Sainsbury's deny any knowledge of having dirty fuel at date & time of purchase.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
AA change the filter, patrolman was surprised at filthy condition and thought it was well overdue. Has run fine since.

Then I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve, but if you're looking for someone to blame and compensate you I fear you are not going to get very far and likely to spend more money and time getting nowhere if you try. Proof of any failure by another party will be very difficult unless you can demonstrate an unbreakable chain of events witnessed by an independent party.

Sorry to sound so negative, but if your MH is running normally again after the filter change I think it's probably best to just chalk it up to experience and move on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
you could have filled up somewhere and got some dirty diesel, i when i was having trouble with my van last year a filter that had only been on about 6 weeks looked dirty, and i only ever put BP ultimate diesel in and mostly from 2 fuel stations, so you cant really blame the servicing

OP
OP
grahammay2

grahammay2

Free Member
Jan 8, 2011
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class,
Exp
Since July 2010
It would seem some people are happy to accept poor service and or poor product. What's the world come to!!
The result was as not just inconvenience it was dangerous on several acconts, forced into limp mode when overtaking HGV, then driving so slowly in inside lane till layby that was only just wide enough. AA man then working in a dangerous location. Plenty of opportunity for fatalities because of some slack somewhere. I have kept the filter and will try to get it checked for originality. If it is a recent replacement then the fuel companies need to be aware of their product failure.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
the fuel companies need to be aware of their product failure.
Unfortunately they have no control over the fuel station tanks that they deliver too. So you have no hope unless it died outside as you left from filling up.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
I'm not happy to accept either, just trying to paint a realistic picture based on my experience investigating vehicle defects and preparing forensic reports following fatal and serious road traffic collisions.

Are you able to prove when the filter was last changed? Are you able to prove that the filter removed by the AA man was the same filter documented as having been replaced in that paperwork, if you have it itemised and invoiced? How can you say that the filter has failed? Surely if the filter was simply replaced and no other work required to restore the functionality of your vehicle, it suggests that the filter may actually have done the job it was designed to do in preventing contaminants getting into the fuel line, but possibly starved the engine due to the amount of contamination. That might mean that the fuel was dirty, but was it the fuel from the garage you last used to top up, or had the dirt already been in your tank and simply blocked the filter at that point due to the progressive accumulation of debris over time? How much fuel did you put in the tank on the last refill before the issue? How empty was the tank prior to that point? Was a sample of the fuel in your tank at the time taken for inspection? Is the same fuel still in your tank? If so, has the new filter been removed to check if it is also showing signs of contamination since being fitted? Have you got a sample of fuel from the garage and pump that you used, obtained independently as soon as possible after the incident?

Your vehicle has presumably been driven since the fault occurred, so even if it is examined and current issues are found, how certain can anyone be that nothing has changed since the time of the incident?

Without being able to answer these and other questions, whilst you may be able to determine the reason for the problem, you will almost certainly fail to allocate blame on a balance of probability or beyond a reasonable doubt.

All I am saying is that you could well invest a lot of time and even money in this, to no avail. You will not get anyone to admit liability without irrefutable proof, and you will struggle to obtain the evidence to support that. You will get nowhere by yourself, you will need independent expert evidence which will cost you money, and unless you arranged for the vehicle to be transported without being driven to an independent premises where it could be examined by an expert without delay, so that it could be ensured nothing material might have changed in the interim, you have already lost evidential value.

Sometimes it is just better to take a deep breath and move on.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I'm not happy to accept either, just trying to paint a realistic picture based on my experience investigating vehicle defects and preparing forensic reports following fatal and serious road traffic collisions.

Are you able to prove when the filter was last changed? Are you able to prove that the filter removed by the AA man was the same filter documented as having been replaced in that paperwork, if you have it itemised and invoiced? How can you say that the filter has failed? Surely if the filter was simply replaced and no other work required to restore the functionality of your vehicle, it suggests that the filter may actually have done the job it was designed to do in preventing contaminants getting into the fuel line, but possibly starved the engine due to the amount of contamination. That might mean that the fuel was dirty, but was it the fuel from the garage you last used to top up, or had the dirt already been in your tank and simply blocked the filter at that point due to the progressive accumulation of debris over time? How much fuel did you put in the tank on the last refill before the issue? How empty was the tank prior to that point? Was a sample of the fuel in your tank at the time taken for inspection? Is the same fuel still in your tank? If so, has the new filter been removed to check if it is also showing signs of contamination since being fitted? Have you got a sample of fuel from the garage and pump that you used, obtained independently as soon as possible after the incident?

Your vehicle has presumably been driven since the fault occurred, so even if it is examined and current issues are found, how certain can anyone be that nothing has changed since the time of the incident?

Without being able to answer these and other questions, whilst you may be able to determine the reason for the problem, you will almost certainly fail to allocate blame on a balance of probability or beyond a reasonable doubt.

All I am saying is that you could well invest a lot of time and even money in this, to no avail. You will not get anyone to admit liability without irrefutable proof, and you will struggle to obtain the evidence to support that. You will get nowhere by yourself, you will need independent expert evidence which will cost you money, and unless you arranged for the vehicle to be transported without being driven to an independent premises where it could be examined by an expert without delay, so that it could be ensured nothing material might have changed in the interim, you have already lost evidential value.

Sometimes it is just better to take a deep breath and move on.
I agree no need for an extra hobby (or maybe its to try for some compensation?)

OP
OP
grahammay2

grahammay2

Free Member
Jan 8, 2011
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class,
Exp
Since July 2010
I'm finding some of the comments rather bazaar. I think if you pay for something you should have it as part of the deal. The mentioned fuel filter issue is at the end of a long string of problems during the 12 month warranty of a 62 plate Motorhome. Most of the faults have been rectified, but it took several visits of 140 miles round trip. Nothing offered for my time or trouble. Most reputable organisations actually make offers to customers by way of wanting good client relations and not negative word of mouth. Enough said for the time being.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back