Petrol Prices Squeeze on US RVers (1 Viewer)

News

NewsHound
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
Survey Indicates RVers Planning Big Cutbacks in Travel and RV Purchases
PRWeb Newswire Januay 8 2008

<!-- Body --> Recreational vehicle enthusiasts are feeling a severe pinch to their pocketbooks as fuel prices climb according to a popular RV website. Several recent surveys by RVtravel.com have revealed significant cutbacks in how RVers are spending their fuel-diminished dollars and their plans to purchase a new recreational vehicle.
Edmonds, WA (PRWEB) January 8, 2008 -- Recreational vehicle enthusiasts are feeling a severe pinch to their pocketbooks as fuel prices climb according to a popular RV website. Several recent surveys by RVtravel.com -- Link Removed -- have revealed significant cutbacks in how RVers are spending their fuel-diminished dollars and their plans to purchase a new motorhome, travel trailer or other recreational vehicle.
"Based on what our readers are telling us, sales of RVs are headed into a dramatic decline," said RVtravel.com editor Chuck Woodbury. "At the end of 2006 we asked our readers if they planned to buy an RV in the upcoming year. About 20 percent said they would either definitely or probably buy. In last month's (December) survey asking the same question, only about seven percent of the more than 1,500 RVers who participated said they were likely to buy in 2008 -- nearly two-thirds less than the year before."
In a separate RVtravel.com survey, eight percent of those who responded said they would stop RVing entirely if fuel prices reached $4 a gallon. Most of the 3,300 RVers who participated in the survey said that the high cost of fuel has forced them to either cut back the distance they travel or the time they spend on the road. In another recent RVtravel.com survey, 60 percent of readers said they believed fuel prices would reach $5 a gallon in 2008.
Woodbury said that when gas and diesel prices climbed above $2 he worried that RVers would stop traveling. At $3 he was again concerned. Now, as prices are hitting $4 a gallon in some areas, he says he is more concerned than ever. Yet, as has happened before, he expects to be surprised.
"Every time I think fuel prices are just too high for RVers to keep going, I discover otherwise," he explained. "The fact is, RVers are avid about the lifestyle and it appears most will not quit RVing no matter what fuel costs. I believe that traveling closer to home will become a lot more popular in 2008, and long trips will be put on hold."

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
If it reaches £2 a Gallon here in Mansfield I may cut down too:Doh:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
If it reaches £2 a Gallon here in Mansfield I may cut down too:Doh:

You could always tow it with Sooty:winky::ROFLMAO:

(did I hear A frames being mentioned:Mad:):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Did someone say A frames???

Im sure thay are legal arnt they :Eeek: or perhaps a trailer would be better.....but then again where do you put it when you dont use it???:thumb:

Oh yes and what happened to GT, last time I was on here he was giving it with both barrels. I do miss him terribly :Sad:

theboadacea

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
huh?

Have I worked this out right?

1 US gallon = 3.79 litres

$4 / 3.79 = $1.06 a litre

$1.06 = roughly £0.54 :Eeek: 54p a litre?!!

are they having a larf?! or am I totally off base here? I don't think I was born when it was last 54p a litre here!

U

ukrv

Deleted User
Dont forget it's all relative.

I bet you wouldnt fancy paying their medical insurance bills each month (though with our NHS it may be an idea).

When we were in the US, they found it very strange that we LOVED filling the RV with diesel - they were crying at the prices and we couldn't get enough in. :thumb:

Paul

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Would they fit such thirsty engines if they had the same prices.

I love my 2 V8's:thumb:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Crikey John

2 X :Eeek:V8s:Eeek:. I thought i was the engine nut round here :winky:. That RV of yours must be like a dragster...do you run it on slicks as well??? :ROFLMAO:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Crikey John

2 X :Eeek:V8s:Eeek:. I thought i was the engine nut round here :winky:. That RV of yours must be like a dragster...do you run it on slicks as well??? :ROFLMAO:

Nah like you and got Jeep GC and mine the 5.7 V8:winky:

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Dont forget it's all relative.l

Coming in late on this discussion, but you're absolutely right Paul, it is all relative. Detroit still hasn't figured out how to design and manufacture quality, fuel efficient cars. You pay a lot more for fuel, but the fuel consumption on UK cars is so much better than the ones built here.

When we first arrived in California in 1980 we had two cars - a Toyota that my wife would still be driving if she hadn't wrecked it, and an old Buick station wagon (estate) that we used for towing a boat. The Buick had a 7.4 liter engine and got 5mpg towing and 5.5mpg solo.

Detroit was almost decimated in the late 70's and early 80's because they didn't believe that Americans would buy small cars. They continued to pump out those monsters while the Japanese ate their lunch. The same story when it came to quality and reliability of vehicles. (I'll save that for another thread.)

American cars today are a lot more fuel efficient than that old Buick, but they still don't compare with UK cars.

I'll leave the discussion of medical costs for another thread too. The NHS (or whatever it's called nowadays) leaves a lot to be desired, but you can't beat the price. Of course, the "price" doesn't reflect what it really costs you through fuel and other taxes.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Have I worked this out right?

1 US gallon = 3.79 litres

$4 / 3.79 = $1.06 a litre

$1.06 = roughly £0.54 :Eeek: 54p a litre?!!

are they having a larf?! or am I totally off base here? I don't think I was born when it was last 54p a litre here!

No you are not totally off base and yes they are having a laff......at the rest of the world as well as sticking two fingers up.

$4 = £2

The cheapest priced diesel in my area costs $10.23 per UK gallon.

A US (wet) gallon = 3.785 ltr. A UK gallon = 4.545 ltr.....so a difference of 0.76 ltr between the two.

Regime change to the US meant the opportunity to pinch somebody elses oil to stock up their reserves which were running low. Regime change for the UK meant whacking the citizens with hefty taxation to pay for a nonsensical war.

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
.... yes they are having a laff......at the rest of the world as well as sticking two fingers up....

None of that makes sense to me. I'm an ex-pat who has lived in the U.S. for 30 years. When I first visited California in the 70's, folks here were complaining about paying 58 cents (29p) a gallon.

A couple of days ago I was elated at having to pay "only" $3.75/gallon for diesel to top up the boat. A friend told me that diesel was $4.52/gallon where he berths his boat. The term gouging comes to mind.

The main reason UK fuel prices are so high is because of the annual budget day tax increases to pay for all the social benefits such as the NHS and all the layabouts who won't work because they're better off living off the state. I'm equally against the senseless war, but most of those petrol tax increases were imposed long before the current Iraq war or the one 10 years earlier. When the boys in Westminster approved drilling in the North Sea, they promised HM loyal subjects "cheap petrol for all", but they omitted the bit about tax.

Oh BTW if someone here puts up 2 fingers, it doesn't mean the same as it does there. But, if someone sticks only their middle finger up, you'll know what it means from the look in their eyes. Don't respond in kind, because the other guy might pull out a gun ::bigsmile:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Hi TJ

I heard the derivation of the two fingers sign, the other day - it is actually an historic meaning from back in the days when every good Englishman and bold HAD to be trained as a long bow archer.

If the archer was captured by an enemy force, the enemy would chop off the two fingers (forefinger and middle finger) which the archer used to pull the bow string - thereby making him useless as an archer. :Angry::Angry:

So the next time the enemy faced the archers - those Archers who still had their whole hand complete - would stand up and show their two 'bow-pulling' fingers were intact - in the style that has become known as the 'up-yours' movement (trying to be diplomatic!) :thumb::thumb:

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Hadn't heard that version of the 2 finger salute. So, if someone salutes you that way and you return the compliment, they'll likely pull out their bow and arrow?

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
None of that makes sense to me. I'm an ex-pat who has lived in the U.S. for 30 years. When I first visited California in the 70's, folks here were complaining about paying 58 cents (29p) a gallon.

A couple of days ago I was elated at having to pay "only" $3.75/gallon for diesel to top up the boat. A friend told me that diesel was $4.52/gallon where he berths his boat. The term gouging comes to mind.
$4.52??? :ROFLMAO: A measly £2.29 per gallon......and even that is at your highest quoted figure! Thats still more than 50% less than what people in the UK are now paying even with the 0.76ltr difference in UK/US gallon conversion.

Yes....the US are "having a laff"......all the way to the oilfields of Iraq.

The main reason UK fuel prices are so high is because of the annual budget day tax increases to pay for all the social benefits such as the NHS and all the layabouts who won't work because they're better off living off the state.
The reason UK fuel prices are so high is 86% is taken by Government in tax on every single litre of fuel. This doesn't affect the better off or wealthy one bit....they don't even blink an eye at it. The people who suffer are those on average or below average income levels, of which there are millions in the UK. People who have spent an entire lifetime working damned hard for little money in order to try and keep a roof over their head, pay bills and stay out of debt.

As for the "layabouts who wont work because they are better off living off the state", you may well have a point.

With the UK minimum wage currently set at £3.40 ($6.69) for 16-17yr olds, £4.60 ($9.05) for 18-21yr olds, £5.52 ($10.86) for 22yr olds and over, a huge proliferation of casual employment (non-contractual which can be terminated without notice), utility bills rising in double figure percentages whilst wage increases barely scrape more than 2-3%, the incentive to 'go to work' is hardly justified.

As for the NHS. That was running fine until the introduction of the Health Trusts which created many six figure salaried 'paper shuffler shiny bum administrators' instead of essential workers such as Nurses, Doctors, Cleaners and Porters to man the Hospitals.

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Thats quite a rant Bullitguy
Now what are you intending to do about it ?
The British are great ones for complaining to each other but they don't do anything about it
Whereas our French counterparts would close the country down to get there prices right
We British have token demonstrations outside supermarkets and refineries and 2 days later its the "Status Quo"
So who do you blame ?

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Thats quite a rant Bullitguy
Now what are you intending to do about it ?
The British are great ones for complaining to each other but they don't do anything about it
Whereas our French counterparts would close the country down to get there prices right
We British have token demonstrations outside supermarkets and refineries and 2 days later its the "Status Quo".

Sadly you are right. Brits are notoriously apathetic.
But i think the spiralling utility charges, stealth taxes, disproportionate income levels, and horrendous taxation on fuel (now listed as one of the highest in the western world), people may well start to turn.

Yes the French wouldn't stand for what we continue to meekly roll over and accept here, and neither would many other european countries. However they are not the tail of the dog wagging for the Master in the White House.

The ongoing increase in UK fuel prices could well prove to be the proverbial straw that broke the camels back. People are now being pushed too close to the edge.

Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Birmingham University still hold the record for the most fuel efficient car!
It does over 8.000 miles to the gallon!
The technology is there but the US RV will be the last to know!

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Bulletguy said:
Yes....the US are "having a laff"......all the way to the oilfields of Iraq.

I don't think so. The cost to the US taxpayer of "democracy in Iraq" is counted in $trillions, and we don't get a penny/cent of benefit in terms of oil or oil prices.

The reason UK fuel prices are so high is 86% is taken by Government in tax on every single litre of fuel.

Errr, I think you're repeating me. As I said, blame the boys in Westminster for the continual tax increases to pay for their irresponsible spending.

As for the "layabouts who wont work because they are better off living off the state", you may well have a point.

I know I do; I'm ashamed to say I have family and friends in the UK who don't/won't work because it will reduce or stop their benefits.

With the UK minimum wage currently ....

A recent statistic stated that the average UK wage was higher than the average wage in the US. So I won't take out my towel and cry for you.

As for the NHS. That was running fine until the introduction of the Health Trusts .....

So why did you, the British taxpayers, let it happen?

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I know I do; I'm ashamed to say I have family and friends in the UK who don't/won't work because it will reduce or stop their benefits.
You omitted the paragraph which followed that quote....so here it is again.

With the UK minimum wage currently set at £3.40 ($6.69) for 16-17yr olds, £4.60 ($9.05) for 18-21yr olds, £5.52 ($10.86) for 22yr olds and over, a huge proliferation of casual employment (non-contractual which can be terminated without notice), utility bills rising in double figure percentages whilst wage increases barely scrape more than 2-3%, the incentive to 'go to work' is hardly justified.

Yes there are those who simply don't want any work at all....but contrary to what the 'red top rag mag' papers will have you believe, they are in a minority. They overlook the millions of people who go to work regularly on the minimum hourly rate without contract. Printing that doesn't appeal to those crowing about benefits etc.

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
You omitted the paragraph which followed that quote....so here it is again.

No reason to quote an entire message. I see it done by some folks, but not by those of us who have been around forums for many years :winky: But, if you must ....

With the UK minimum wage currently set at £3.40 ($6.69) for 16-17yr olds, £4.60 ($9.05) for 18-21yr olds, £5.52 ($10.86) for 22yr olds ....

Is that per hour? Wow! My first weekly wage in the UK was somewhere in the middle of that range, and I thought I was well off.

... a huge proliferation of casual employment...

Are those the Polish folks I hear about? We have our share of casual workers here (probably more than you could imagine), and they're from south of the border (aka Mexico). They work their backsides off for a pittance and no benefits, but they don't complain.

non-contractual which can be terminated without notice

What's a contract? Termination is not a concern, but being hired tomorrow and again the next day is. Many of these folks have no home in the US; They live in large groups in sheds in the fields or in a hole dug in the ground with a tin sheet over the top. They get no government handouts and live in fear of being deported at zero notice; The paddy wagon rolls up, loads them in, drives to the border, and drops them off.

... the incentive to 'go to work' is hardly justified.

Why does incentive have to be justified? Incentive for the folks I'm talking about is being able to eat that day or the next. If they find work today, they're very grateful and work hard so they might get work tomorrow. They dare not be ill because they can't afford to go to the doctor. None of these folks think the world owes them a living.

Sorry, I have to agree with Tony; A rant and with no solution offered.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
No reason to quote an entire message. I see it done by some folks, but not by those of us who have been around forums for many years
That depends on the extent you wish to distort an original post by choosing to omit any part which might conflict with your response.
Nothing new there to those of us who have been around forums for many years.

Is that per hour? Wow! My first weekly wage in the UK was somewhere in the middle of that range, and I thought I was well off.
Of course it's hourly rates. And my first weekly wage was lower than the hourly rate set for 16 - 17yr olds.....but that was over forty years ago and we've moved on a little since then.

Are those the Polish folks I hear about? We have our share of casual workers here (probably more than you could imagine), and they're from south of the border (aka Mexico). They work their backsides off for a pittance and no benefits, but they don't complain.
Not at my workplace. All casual employees there are legally employed British.

There are employers who will use cheap 'black market' foreign labour, pay them a pittance, and yes of course they "don't complain" because few can speak English and most if not all, know that they are working illegally so have no rights and exist in fear of being caught and deported. These 'employers' care not one jot as long as the loot continues to pour into their Bank accounts.

Occasionally these 'employers' get caught out when their slaves get killed as happened recently to a group of Chinese cockle pickers who drowned off Morecambe Bay.

What's a contract?
An agreement between Employer and Employee which is legally binding between both parties. Employers have certain obligations to meet as well as employees. If you work then you should know that.

Termination is not a concern, but being hired tomorrow and again the next day is. Many of these folks have no home in the US; They live in large groups in sheds in the fields or in a hole dug in the ground with a tin sheet over the top. They get no government handouts and live in fear of being deported at zero notice; The paddy wagon rolls up, loads them in, drives to the border, and drops them off.
Illegal immigrants who are subject to the abuses of rogue 'employers' who have no morales or interest in their own countries law regarding employment and will make use of them in order to line their own pockets. Their eventual destiny if uncovered should be jail.

Why does incentive have to be justified?
If you don't want any then it doesn't.....but it's useful to have.

Incentive for the folks I'm talking about is being able to eat that day or the next. If they find work today, they're very grateful and work hard so they might get work tomorrow. They dare not be ill because they can't afford to go to the doctor. None of these folks think the world owes them a living.
Thats not an incentive......that's an existence. And yes, i'm sure none of them dare even think the world owes them a living as they've never had one to begin with!

Sorry, I have to agree with Tony; A rant and with no solution offered.
And your 'solution'?

Well......stick the slaves in holes in the ground with a piece of tin over their heads, brow beat 'em into being grateful for the pittance they will labour daily for, and make damned sure they get no rights whatsoever. And when finished with them....just chuck 'em out.

Land of 'the free' eh?

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Nobody is trying to distort your messages; They're still intact where you posted them. Just scroll back in the thread and you'll see them :winky:

Let's try this without quoting so I don't get accused of distorting your messages ....

I've never had an employment contract and never saw the need for one, although I've worked on several continents. The only folks who need them are folks who feel insecure in their jobs &/or insecure about their abilities. Hiring and firing is a fact of life here, and I've been on both sides of the table at firing time; In each case where I was on the 'wrong side' of the table, it was an opportunity to look for a better job and improve my lot.

My solution? Take away the benefits for those folks who won't work, and they'll have an incentive to find a job.

Seems like you're still on a rant. Take an aspirin and you'll feel better in the morning.

Back to the subject of the thread .... change the system that allows a party to stay in office indefinitely, then make sure the elected members know they won't be re-elected if they keep spending irresponsibly and raising fuel and other taxes to pay for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back