Petrol Diesel (1 Viewer)

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Whilst I am on a roll posting I wonder what to make of all this talk of diesel cars losing value and the presumed movement to petrol due to government announcements.Will new purchasers of vans be thinking about this petrol issue although there are very few petrol options I think .

OP
OP
mojo
May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
That makes sense ,I wonder how many years it will take before dealers/buyers prefer petrol trade ins to diesel.Buying a new van this year and keeping for about 4/5 years may see that change in preference 2021.Wait a year or two to see what petrol vans come to market maybe which will indicate the rate at which these changes will,if at all,take place.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I doubt if delivery companies will go petrol. They're much more likely to go directly from Diesel to electric or at least hybrid.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I was in a hybrid taxi the other evening.
Never been in one before and the only difference i could see was the pretty center console screen showing what was happening and where power was going and coming from as he accelerated and slowed down..
No good to me....I'd be in the back of the car in front while watching the screen :LOL:

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I was in a hybrid taxi the other evening.
Never been in one before and the only difference i could see was the pretty center console screen showing what was happening and where power was going and coming from as he accelerated and slowed down..
No good to me....I'd be in the back of the car in front while watching the screen :LOL:
:D I had a similar thought when I saw a recent car advert that appears to show a warning on the centre screen, that the car is undergoing "Emergency Braking".

My first reaction was 'No s**t Sherlock' I didn't realise I was frantically braking hard enough to avoid hitting something and what a good time to be flashing a distracting warning to the driver :doh:

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
:D I had a similar thought when I saw a recent car advert that appears to show a warning on the centre screen, that the car is undergoing "Emergency Braking".

My first reaction was 'No s**t Sherlock' I didn't realise I was frantically braking hard enough to avoid hitting something and what a good time to be flashing a distracting warning to the driver :doh:
Like the flashing yellow sign on mine that tells me the traction control is working... I know. I'm not going sideways when by all the laws of physics say I should be. Now shut up and leave me be... I'm driving here...

parigby

Free Member
Aug 20, 2009
Ludlow
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
20 years
Someone on TV the other day said the solution for vans/MoHomes would be to convert to LPG. He suggested the cost of conversion was circa £150.00. Might be a solution.

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Someone on TV the other day said the solution for vans/MoHomes would be to convert to LPG. He suggested the cost of conversion was circa £150.00. Might be a solution.

I would think it would be considerably more than that, did you mean £1500.

The other problem would be payload, as imagine you would still need your diesel system for starting, and as a backup where LPG is not available.

Andrew

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
My 8.1L Motorhome runs on petrol and the cost of an LPG conversion would be around £3k, and no I have not had it converted. I'm an old fashioned engineer, Chevrolet did not design it to run on LPG . :)

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Hi Andrew - no he clearly said £150.

I'm sure you are correct in what he said, but I can't see it being the correct figure

Just look at the cost of fitting an underslung tank (I'm aware they're a different type of tank) but that just feeds into the regulator

Andrew

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Well, dedicated to diesel all my life from my first commer van, I ain't gonna change now(y):)

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Well, dedicated to diesel all my life from my first commer van, I ain't gonna change now(y):)

Me too, the more places they start to charge for going in, the less places I will go, until they twig this, its all a fail.

I don't see folk stopping going to places because of the 'pollution' , but I can see a boatload of people not wanting to pay to go anywhere , especially those motorhomers who expect everything to be free, even when it isn't.

I was going to say that this will turn London into its own little world, but it already is, Khan is doing all he can to keep it that way and enforce more charges, I haven't been into London since the congestion charge went on, and I wont be going any time soon. Everything inside the M25 is dead to me, as it is to most folk in the UK, a point only missed by those inside , who think that we care about what they think.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Agree with Peter certainly not the modern common rail ones. In Thailand nearly all the big buses & lorries run on natural gas but not seen any running on LPG.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
He was dreaming. @campa cola can't even get an oil/filter change for 30 quid more than that.

Hi Andrew - no he clearly said £150.
& nobheads like that are the people that government listen to & plan by & the ones paying the bills then find it costs 10x as much but you'll never tell those who implement it.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
You can convert diesel to use LPG, but its like at a 25% mix ratio.. and kits are £1000 -£1800 .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A diesel will run on LPG as a secondary fuel injected alongside diesel, but it will never run purely on LPG.
LPG burns relatively slowly in the same way petrol burns, diesel explodes...which is one reason diesels are SO bloody clunky and noisy compared to a petrol engine

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I worked(aency) for the HM Government internal courier service. They were persuaded to buy Petrol/LPG vans which I think were about £3k more expensive.

We were not doing huge mileages as most of the runs were in London.

We kept the batch of vans for 3 years or so, but the organisation did not buy any more.

[It was disbanded about 2 years later - not surprising as the drivers were a lazy lot of beggers who would go missing for half the day as they were just time-serving for their gold-plated government pensions. They hated me because I got round their runs in 2/3 the time, because I could go home but they had to stay to sort mail.]

Geoff

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I was going to convert to lpg But as my motor is that old my son said no . and as he is a tech I took his advise.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back