TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
To be honest I think this thread has probably run it's course.
Lots of interesting views - time will tell!

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
To be honest I think this thread has probably run it's course.
Lots of interesting views - time will tell!

I will 'revive' the thread periodically by just posting the number of signatures reached without comment in the hope that more on here will sign.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I will 'revive' the thread periodically by just posting the number of signatures reached without comment in the hope that more on here will sign.

I don't think you will be very busy. Only a couple of hundred in the last week so it seems to be nearing the limit of support.
Quite a lot more than the futile petitions aimed at government received a few years ago but still an indication that most people aren't bothered.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
I don't think you will be very busy. Only a couple of hundred in the last week so it seems to be nearing the limit of support.
Quite a lot more than the futile petitions aimed at government received a few years ago but still an indication that most people aren't bothered.

I also noticed that it was slowing down, shame that people can't be bothered to change things............

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I also noticed that it was slowing down, shame that people can't be bothered to change things............
Happens in a lot of areas.
How many times do we see people quoted saying "They should do something about it" rather than "I will do something about it"?
If people, in general, put themselves forward rather than leaving it to somebody else just think how much better this country - and the world, indeed - could be.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

thing is though this is not the type of aires what most want, if they are run by cmc they are still going to be regimented in the same way and charged well for, i signed very early on because it cant do any harm but if everyone in the country signed it , it still wont happen, its just what most campers in uk dont want , they either want full camp facilitys or to park for nothing so it doesnt appeal to either section, wheras a cheap parking space for the night where you can also sleep would appeal to both, campsite people just as a break in the journey to their camp , likewise for any free campers who cant find a park near to a town they want to visit.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
How many times do we see people quoted saying "They should do something about it" rather than "I will do something about it"?
If people, in general, put themselves forward rather than leaving it to somebody else just think how much better this country - and the world, indeed - could be.
this is a non starter as well, if i get on to my local council to get something in uttoxeter, who is going to use it, like wise if i wanted something in whitby:( lets say , me asking their council would be laughed out as how oftens he going to come.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
this is a non starter as well, if i get on to my local council to get something in uttoxeter, who is going to use it, like wise if i wanted something in whitby:( lets say , me asking their council would be laughed out as how oftens he going to come.
My post wasn't about motorhome camping, but a general one. Too many people complain about things not getting done but run a mile when you suggest they help.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp

Strange that ......the voters did decide on something 2 years ago..........only to be told we were wrong:)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
2700 though , who the hell is going to take any notice of that , when you take into account half of them will be someones grannys cousin there are very few actual signitures

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
2700 though , who the hell is going to take any notice of that , when you take into account half of them will be someones grannys cousin there are very few actual signitures

maybe we do deserve what we get then..................nothing(y)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
maybe we do deserve what we get then..................nothing(y)
or there is not a big enough demand?
as has been shown when several other Government petitions were tried..
It does seem to confirm that blanket approaches remain futile through lack of support (and, possibly, lack of definition/planning).

An alternative approach would be to target a specific location (or locations). That, though, would require somebody committed to action rather than just words.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
wheras a cheap parking space for the night where you can also sleep would appeal to both,

yes, but if not regulated or operated by the council, or an organisation such as CMC you can see what has happened at Glencaple.. and also Whitby , abused to the point where it is now under threat.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We have had three wild campers here over the weekend , two of them French . It made me realise the real need for mhome facilities. The French visitors would be accustomed to Aires but over here how do they manage without spending a fair amount on sites.
It does reinforce the need for Aires in the U.K. to encourage motorhome tourists and their money from the continent .

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
yes, but if not regulated or operated by the council, or an organisation such as CMC

But if stopover/aires/whatever you want to call them were regulated or controlled by a company such as the CMC they would try and apply their rulebook to the point where the locations would be nothing more than more CLs which is not what people want - if they did there is already more than adequate provision across the numerous organisations that certificate them.

That’s one of the many reasons why this idea is a bad one.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
On the way to Lymington rally we wanted an overnight stop and found that Winchester council allow parking of motorhomes in with the coach parking, all day cost is £7 or overnight 18:00 to 08:00 is free, we arrived at 16:30 and paid for two nights so that we could spend the day in the town, of course you can't take Mrs funfair into town without her finding a wool shop and invariably spending money (she did) then a cup of coffee, Indian takeaway etc etc I did keep a rough count and it was over £120 into a variety of local shops.

I have left feedback on the council web site telling them how their approach was a breath of fresh and also mentioning that we spent money in the town.

I did notice that there were quite a few of foreign motorhomes in for the day but a lot left at night so I don't know if they didn't realise that they could stay or possibly they were heading for a ferry. Anyway this is a model that I would like to see repeated around the country.

Martin

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
But if stopover/aires/whatever you want to call them were regulated or controlled by a company such as the CMC

I did say by the council, or an organisation such as CMC.

whether you like them or not, if you don't have rules and have them enforced.. be it on a site, aire or car park.. people take the piss.. as witnessed at Glencaple.. and Whitby..

they are not a bad idea.. they work perfectly well abroad.. not liking or not using them is entirely your opinion and choice..

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We have had three wild campers here over the weekend , two of them French . It made me realise the real need for mhome facilities. The French visitors would be accustomed to Aires but over here how do they manage without spending a fair amount on sites.
It does reinforce the need for Aires in the U.K. to encourage motorhome tourists and their money from the continent .
Is it really a "need" rather than a convenience?
Creating aires probably would increase tourism (in some places) but it's the same old question I'm afraid. Would the extra money be sufficient to justify the expenditure?
Let's not forget that caravan sites are businesses as well and any money spent in shops, restaurants &c, as a result of not spending on pitch fees, is a net zero.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
But if stopover/aires/whatever you want to call them were regulated or controlled by a company such as the CMC they would try and apply their rulebook to the point where the locations would be nothing more than more CLs which is not what people want - if they did there is already more than adequate provision across the numerous organisations that certificate them.

That’s one of the many reasons why this idea is a bad one.
Given that some organisation would have to be in control there would necessarily be some form of regulation and some CLs aren't far off what seems to be wanted.
We stayed at one, in Forest Row, which is only a few minutes walk from village amenities and bus services but was just a field with fresh water and waste facilities, no EHU.
The legislation is in place to enable the creation of stopovers/aires; all that is needed is for somebody to do it - but they will only do so if they see a return.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Given that some organisation would have to be in control there would necessarily be some form of regulation and some CLs aren't far off what seems to be wanted.
We stayed at one, in Forest Row, which is only a few minutes walk from village amenities and bus services but was just a field with fresh water and waste facilities, no EHU.
The legislation is in place to enable the creation of stopovers/aires; all that is needed is for somebody to do it - but they will only do so if they see a return.
how these things just go round and round with not much sense being seen , cls although very good are not the answer , letting someone park on their land for free or a couple of quid just loses their income for no benifit, but unused carparks close to the middle of towns would benifit the town in money in the shops as well as a bit from the car park which would other wise be empty, all it needs is councils to see they are losing out on unused carparks, no expense needed.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
how these things just go round and round with not much sense being seen , cls although very good are not the answer , letting someone park on their land for free or a couple of quid just loses their income for no benifit, but unused carparks close to the middle of towns would benifit the town in money in the shops as well as a bit from the car park which would other wise be empty, all it needs is councils to see they are losing out on unused carparks, no expense needed.
Too simplistic a view. I'm not going to explain the potential expense (based on real life experience) again.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
So, in summary, what we should all do is when we identify a suitable unused car-park is to petition our local council. That is YOU, not SOMEBODY!

I'm sure Graham can provide a suitable letter wording after all the work he's done in the past.

And no, I'm not being sarcastic - if you want it you have to be prepared to go out and get it.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
If the councils are sitting on unused car parks then they should be handing them over to the planning department to build affordable homes for the needy. Housing is in short supply case you haven't noticed, unlike overnight parking for hobbyists which is already plentiful. Permanent money in the shops from these new tenants would be real income for local business rather than the odd ice cream to self contained second home owners.....(y)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
So, in summary, what we should all do is when we identify a suitable unused car-park is to petition our local council. That is YOU, not SOMEBODY!

I'm sure Graham can provide a suitable letter wording after all the work he's done in the past.

And no, I'm not being sarcastic - if you want it you have to be prepared to go out and get it.
I agree but I'm afraid you're flogging a dead horse Terry :(
I've posted similar messages on a number of occasions, and the latest letter template has been available for just shy of four years.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back