Peterbourogh (1 Viewer)

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
This will be the first MH show we have been to.
We have tickets, we will be knocking on the door at 9.30 to get in.
Our aim is to look at as many MHs as possible within the day.

Is one day enough?
Any tips on best things to look at first before it gets too busy.
Any ideas about how best and efficient way to attack it.

We will know within seconds of entering a MH if we may be interested so i imagine a good number will be discounted rapidly.

Even before the 19 i do not like/do crowds so it' going to be an ordeal for me. I can see me after a couple of hours saying F--- this i'm off

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Find out what dealers are going and with what stock and try and make an appointment so you can just walk up to them and go in the ones you want to look at. (y)

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Find out what dealers are going and with what stock and try and make an appointment so you can just walk up to them and go in the ones you want to look at. (y)
My problem is i don't know what i want to look at. For us it's going to be a random look initially then take it from there.
Thanks for the tip though. I will look what brands will be there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
i would suggest do your homework before you go (which is in effect what youre trying to do) by looking at as many layouts as possible BEFORE you attend, so that you know what you are looking for and dont waste time just 'popping' into vans just to look .... there will be some manufacturers that wont do the model/layout that youre interested in, so you can save time by not visiting them.

as i think all camping spaces have been 'filled', i assume there will be a lot of people there (albeit reduced capacity)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Anything like today then it could be a tad warm at the show. A good living compartment A/C system that runs on gas would be my first must have choice. It looks like our weather pattern change is here to stay. This is another hotter than Spain week making living in a tin box without a/c very uncomfortable indeed. :cool:

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Do more research into what might suit you.

Prepare yourself to meet inept salesmen.

Dont be surprised to see motorhomes that are not in A1 condition.

Dont rush it. Good luck.

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Thanks all.
I have been searching on the interweb for months and months looking at coachbuilt and a class within my budget. However the layout we would prefer appears not to be popular therefore we will have to compromise.
I am aware of salesmen and the antics they are capable of.
First show so it's going to be a bit hectic, for us.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Thanks all.
I have been searching on the interweb for months and months looking at coachbuilt and a class within my budget. However the layout we would prefer appears not to be popular therefore we will have to compromise.
I am aware of salesmen and the antics they are capable of.
First show so it's going to be a bit hectic, for us.
Why not ask for advice on this forum? If you can identify what your 'non negotiable' ticket items are, someone might be able to suggest a suitable option?

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Why not ask for advice on this forum? If you can identify what your 'non negotiable' ticket items are, someone might be able to suggest a suitable option?
Over the months i have indeed ask for advice on here. I have been very grateful for the advice given, it's been most helpful. I listed all the items we would like and what van they maybe in, understanding that a bit of give and take will be needed.

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
Good luck with the hunt. We’ll be there on Friday but, it will be mainly the stalls we’ll be there for.👍

I personally think you’ll be ok doing it in just one day. Don’t spend to much time looking around vans just for the sake of looking, or if they don’t suit.👍

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Good luck with the hunt. We’ll be there on Friday but, it will be mainly the stalls we’ll be there for.👍

I personally think you’ll be ok doing it in just one day. Don’t spend to much time looking around vans just for the sake of looking, or if they don’t suit.👍
Hi Steve

Don't park next to us or you might find me in your van(y)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
In the Resources section, Motorhome Guides, there is a checklist. Print out a number of copies and use them when looking at vans.

But remember, apart from brand new models, don't expect to see too many used examples - the dealers are saying they can sell everything they can get so probably little need to take anything worth having to the Show.

If you get too exhausted, pop along to the Funster camping area where you'll find the rest of us chilling out - free tea and coffee too!

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.

Agree. I have mentioned to HRH if we go in a van that is obviously not what we want, move on rapidly.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
About 4 years ago, I had some preconceived ideas.. at the PBORO show I sat in a used van on the CamperUK stand... it felt right, good vibes.
First spoke the Mum, then Dan loved my theory "shop the dealer" rather than the brand etc.
We did the deal, was a great buy, CamperUK validated their excellent reputation when damp was found.

It's not about the bling, its not about the pushy salesman, its about being open to what feels right.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Layout, layout and then layout...... Nail that down first and it will greatly reduce your on-going search.
e.g. For us it was
1) "wow, you can have a separate shower cubicle instead of a shower over the loo?" And so everything without separate shower was ignored.
2) Next was worktop/prep space as you will see even some very high end MH hve the cooker top a sink cover and if you are lucky one more square of worktop to prepare / put plates etc.... And so that became 2nd requirement.
Without these first couple of Must Haves! we felt bewildered by what was around.

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Layout, layout and then layout...... Nail that down first and it will greatly reduce your on-going search.
e.g. For us it was
1) "wow, you can have a separate shower cubicle instead of a shower over the loo?" And so everything without separate shower was ignored.
2) Next was worktop/prep space as you will see even some very high end MH hve the cooker top a sink cover and if you are lucky one more square of worktop to prepare / put plates etc.... And so that became 2nd requirement.
Without these first couple of Must Haves! we felt bewildered by what was around.
Once again i agree. And we do have a list of must have/priorities. Our problem was finding the van with these must haves in. When one is new to the game it's a case of looking at everything as you just don't know where to start........................and there is a bloody lot of vans out there.
Unless you have your own built at daft money compromises are going to have to be made me thinks.

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Lasted about 2 n arf hours at the show.
Disappointed how little there was to look at re MHs. Was expecting a lot more.
By 11am too many people and not enough wearing masks for us.
Never went into the cowsheds and bigger stalls as most were not wearing masks inside. (i know i know you don't have to, we did and do, so if we don't like/agree that people don't our loss i suppose.)
So we left just after 12 noon.

BTW, we did walk past MHF a couple of times and saw a good few people wearing their badges. Never went in as the people looked very very scary :cool: :rolleyes:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Much much smaller than normal.
Far fewer dealers and they had little stock.
Usually 2 of the cattle sheds are full of vans
There used to be a pavilion dedicated to campers

Oct 19, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 115
Exp
Few years
Spent 2 hours there on Saturday
Very disappointing couldn’t get almost of the things I wanted to buy/look at -
Although if I had wanted a hat, bag, coat, expensive cake etc etc I would have been ok as there where more non-motorhome related stalls than related ones…

Jul 4, 2013
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
IH 600RD
Exp
Since 2017
I also went on Saturday and unlike previous years there were very few motorhomes for sale, proof I suppose of the current shortage . Plenty of panel van converters displaying vans but IH didn't have the van I wanted to look at , in fact I'm not sure they had any new vans that didn't have a sold sticker in the window. I did buy some levelling ramps , some expensive cakes , a back pack , a couple of clear plastic tumblers and two black coffees BUT would that have been a different story if IH had a 630RD/4 for sale ? If Peterborough is the largest outdoor Motorhome Show then it doesn't look good for the other shows. Couldn't fault the weather and easy parking .

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
Got to Peterborough without breaking down and had a very pleasant surprise over the weighbridge
Never saw weighbridge but would have loved to have checked it.
Lasted about 2 n arf hours at the show.
Disappointed how little there was to look at re MHs. Was expecting a lot more.
By 11am too many people and not enough wearing masks for us.
Never went into the cowsheds and bigger stalls as most were not wearing masks inside. (i know i know you don't have to, we did and do, so if we don't like/agree that people don't our loss i suppose.)
So we left just after 12 noon.

BTW, we did walk past MHF a couple of times and saw a good few people wearing their badges. Never went in as the people looked very very scary :cool: :rolleyes:
They don't eat virgins, it was my first show/rally and so far I have survived with all my limbs.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
so far I have survived with all my limbs
……so far…… :rofl:

The show was very thin - I suspect that stock shortages had something to do with it. I went for the cheap camping, meeting up with new and old friends and relaxing (plus feeling very smug about being 890 kilos underweight)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back