Free Member
Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie bought our first motorhome 7months ago and love it
just got home from the vets as we made an enquiry over a pet passport been quoted £230 which includes the passport rabies jab tic remover worming tablets is it worthwhile
I know there are people who travel with their pets abroad do you have any advice please

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
That sounds a bit expensive. Having said that we love to travel with our precious pooch and she comes with us every trip!
By the way, the tic removers and the worming tablets are probably much cheaper to buy online.

OP
OP
TheDentons

TheDentons

Free Member
Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
Do you have any advice on what to take the rabies and the passport was about 70 each not sure exactly what else to take and he also mentioned a tablet for tapeworm on the return journey

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
£230 sounds a bit much.
Find a cheaper Vet, you don't have to use the Vet you always go to.
If they're that dear for that perhaps you've been paying too much all along!
You can take a worming tablet with you but I think it has to be a Vet's one not an over the counter job!
We don't bother we just find a Vet in France that's not too dear.

OP
OP
TheDentons

TheDentons

Free Member
Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
£230 sounds a bit much.
Find a cheaper Vet, you don't have to use the Vet you always go to.
If they're that dear for that perhaps you've been paying too much all along!
You can take a worming tablet with you but I think it has to be a Vet's one not an over the counter job!
We don't bother we just find a Vet in France that's not too dear.
What are the legal requirements to take your pet abroad?

Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
that is way over what we paid, would be £ 100 at the most. and ours is a well known vets

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
We just use the Drontal worming tablets as they have the right formula to deal with the specific worm that the UK authorities want to avoid entering the UK. We buy them from Petsupermarket.co.uk and they have been accepted by all the vets we have used. You can get the local vet to provide the wormers but of course you have to pay whatever they charge for them.

OP
OP
TheDentons

TheDentons

Free Member
Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
Would I be correct in saying all I require is a passport and an up to date rabies jab?

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
In principle, yes - assuming that your dog is already chipped. Plus the rules for re-entering the UK, of course.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheDentons

TheDentons

Free Member
Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
Requirements are that she is microchipped has had a rabies jab and has a passport she must visit a vet abroad for a tapeworm tablet and travel no sooner than 24 hours or later than 120 hours on the return on return to the uk she must visit a U.K. Vet?
Do I take drontal tablets to worm her while abroad or is that just a precaution.

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
Almost:
a) the vet giving the tapeworm treatment must sign & stamp the passport recording the date & time. Make sure you check these carefully before leaving the vet!
b) >24 hours & <120 hours time limits apply to the check-in times
c) there is no requirement to visit a UK vet on return

We take our own Drontal tablets as we know our dog takes them easily and it's probably cheaper than paying for them at the vet

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Requirements are that she is microchipped has had a rabies jab and has a passport she must visit a vet abroad for a tapeworm tablet and travel no sooner than 24 hours or later than 120 hours on the return on return to the uk she must visit a U.K. Vet?
Do I take drontal tablets to worm her while abroad or is that just a precaution.
Correct up until the point about seeing a UK vet when your return, no need for that as far as I know.

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
Your dog must be chipped, it's recorded in the Pet Passport, must have an uptodate Rabies treatment and a Pet Passport.

The dog must be taken to any Vet in Europe between 24 hours (1 day) and 120 hours (5 days) before returning to the UK and have the worming treatment, the PP signed and dated correctly.

A PP can cost what any Vet feels like charging - shop around.

If you use a Uk Vet for the Rabies treatment make sure it's for three years.

Tick removers are only bits of plastic and can be bought online very cheaply but are very effective - don't bother trying to make your own - it's not worth it.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We just let the vet use their own worm tablets before we come back, any saving from using your own would be negligible and if you upset the French vet by insisting on using your own they may take it out on you in the bill. We find the charge for our two is very reasonable.
If you're staying away a very long time it is a good idea to worm the dog(s) yourself every three months as there are nasty worms on the continent. We always retreat ours a couple of days after they come back as a precaution, which our vet recommended.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
When you get your passport make sure it's the latest type with the important information laminated over .(y)

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
We were advised to worm Charlie every month in the Canaries as apparently he had more chances of problems over there?

He also had to have another rabies jab as apparently it's a legal requirement in Spain every year (even tho his English jab still has 2 years to run for England)

OP
OP
TheDentons

TheDentons

Free Member
Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
Thank you for your great response a lot clearer now

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
We were advised to worm Charlie every month in the Canaries as apparently he had more chances of problems over there?

He also had to have another rabies jab as apparently it's a legal requirement in Spain every year (even tho his English jab still has 2 years to run for England)
Don't know about the canaries but on the mainland the requirement is rabies & dhippl every year + worming every 3 months & all recorded in the dogs vet book. I only put the worming in the pet passport when he is going to the UK as otherwise the book would be full in no time & a new one would be needed.Especially if using the tunnel.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If you are heading a long way south there are different types of worm treatment recommended as there are some nastier ones!!

Andy H

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
IH Tio Savanah PVC
Exp
Well, we've just returned from our first Euro trip with Ralph. It couldn't have been easier. We found a vet online before we travelled, and were even able to book an appointment online. The cost was Eur32, plus Eur4 for the worming tablet, it was just normal Drontal.

There is also a section about the wether the dog is fit to travel which the vet should fill in, but I don't know if they check that, the vet did complete it so wouldn't have been a problem.

£170 for the passport does sound expensive, think we paid about £70, and vaccine is valid for 3 years.

Andy

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Almost:
a) the vet giving the tapeworm treatment must sign & stamp the passport recording the date & time. Make sure you check these carefully before leaving the vet!
b) >24 hours & <120 hours time limits apply to the check-in times
c) there is no requirement to visit a UK vet on return

We take our own Drontal tablets as we know our dog takes them easily and it's probably cheaper than paying for them at the vet

Making sure when the vet fills the passport in they do it correctly with the date and the time is vital, especially if you're pushing too close to either end of the 24-120 hour limit.

When you come to check in if it's not exactly right you won't be travelling and they check it down to the minute. The staff at pet passport check in won't get into a discussion or argument about it, you just won't be going anywhere. I've seen it happen at the tunnel a couple of times.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back