Pet passport oversight (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we have Lola passported and have taken her through the Chunnel about 10 times now, just pulling out papers for a trip at Easter, checked her dates and we have missed the rabies booster by 14 days :(

Thought we would be OK , our vets will do the booster now but will not back date the passport in case they get audited

They have had revised post Brexit paperwork through reminding all that the full rabies blood test is being reinstated and they wouldnt take the risk of travelling with mismatched dates

So to do it properly we now need to restart the whole process blood tests to be sent to France for checks then boosters after the results are confirmed OK, probable turn round time 8 weeks

We can just get it done in time but will cost nearly £200 o_O We hadn’t expected to still have Lola she is now 11 :) the oversight is my own doing, but think we will be in Scotland pre easter not France and not renew her passport

Still at least it will leave more funds in the gin kitty :)(y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm a bit puzzled but not sure if you are in UK or France. :) The procedure has not changed officially. However, if you want to be as certain as possible travelling to the EU after B day should it be a no deal exit then a blood test needs to be done 30 days after the rabies vaccination. If the blood test is good then the dog can travel 3 months later having obtained a fit to travel certificate from the vet not more than ten days before the date of travel. This is for moving from the UK to the EU (less Eire I guess). If a deal is arranged then this shouldn't be necessary and the normal pet passport should be fine. Take your pick on what might happen. We are going down the blood test route and should get the results back in about ten days. :)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We are still in UK, have full passport just missed the date for anti rabies top up , due early Jan

Due to her age we will not bother now and stay in UK (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
bit of bad luck there!

its my understanding that the same applies today and no matter what changes in Brexit that, if the booster is missed then full rabies blood tests etc apply .

it is also my understanding that even if there is a no deal exit, provided rabies boosters are on time then no further blood tests or delays are required. however, fitness to travel certificates as mentioned above will be required if no deal.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
its my understanding that the same applies today and no matter what changes in Brexit that, if the booster is missed then full rabies blood tests etc apply .
yes if you fail to vaccinate before the previous vaccination date then it all has to start again. no need, here anyway , for a blood test though.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
it is the need for blood tests that appears to have been reinstated for travel post 29th March

I had heard it had been stopped soon after we got ours done and you only needed boosters and rabies updates

Not the end of the world for us, We will stick with UK this year and see how Lola is coping for next year :unsure:

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I asked last year about the Rabies booster and was told (unlike the normal yearly booster) the Rabies booster MUST be done before or on the expiry date.
No leeway at all! :unsure:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
it is the need for blood tests that appears to have been reinstated for travel post 29th March

I had heard it had been stopped soon after we got ours done and you only needed boosters and rabies updates

Not the end of the world for us, We will stick with UK this year and see how Lola is coping for next year :unsure:

I thought if an original blood test was done and boosters maintained only a travel certificate would be needed.

any vague ism's.... in this will give vets a free had to rake in a few ££.. needlessly

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I know this is not completely relevant to the origanal post but it may be useful info from DEFRA web site ( cut and paste )

PASTE!!..

A successful blood test is only required for first time travel to an EU country. This is provided that your pet’s rabies vaccinations are kept up to date with boosters before the expiry date of the previous vaccination.

Your pet health certificate would be valid for:

• 10 days after the date of issue for entry into the EU
  • 4 months of onward travel within the EU
  • re-entry to the UK for 4 months after the date of issue

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I thought if an original blood test was done and boosters maintained only a travel certificate would be needed.

any vague ism's.... in this will give vets a free had to rake in a few ££.. needlessly

At the end of the day this was my oversight , then ‘rules are rules ‘ apply I guess, all a little harsh for a few days over out of three years

But I wouldn’t want to fall foul of red tape

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i would agree it would be a real problem if some border guard on reentry to the UK put the dog in quarantine because of a back dated booster.

i would be mortified.....

we all miss things now and again...

wherever you decide to go the dog will i am sure enjoy the trip and your company.(y)

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I'm a bit puzzled but not sure if you are in UK or France. :) The procedure has not changed officially. However, if you want to be as certain as possible travelling to the EU after B day should it be a no deal exit then a blood test needs to be done 30 days after the rabies vaccination. If the blood test is good then the dog can travel 3 months later having obtained a fit to travel certificate from the vet not more than ten days before the date of travel. This is for moving from the UK to the EU (less Eire I guess). If a deal is arranged then this shouldn't be necessary and the normal pet passport should be fine. Take your pick on what might happen. We are going down the blood test route and should get the results back in about ten days. :)

Why do you have to wait three months after the blood test before travelling?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I know this is not completely relevant to the origanal post but it may be useful info from DEFRA web site ( cut and paste )

PASTE!!..

A successful blood test is only required for first time travel to an EU country. This is provided that your pet’s rabies vaccinations are kept up to date with boosters before the expiry date of the previous vaccination.

Your pet health certificate would be valid for:

• 10 days after the date of issue for entry into the EU
  • 4 months of onward travel within the EU
  • re-entry to the UK for 4 months after the date of issue
That's my understanding but the blood test has to be done first. If a blood test hasn't been done it makes no difference getting the vaccination done on time. Without a record of a titre test it doesn't count.

I must emphasise this is based on no deal and the UK not being put on the list (Part 2?) of countries considered safe. This is where we belong but it won't happen unless the EU take action. The default is we joined the unwashed and have to comply with the most rigorous requirement.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Dems de rules. I can only guess they think it takes that long for immunity to build up fully. Why can't you find a virologist when you want one? :)

I still don’t understand..... is there a virologist if vet here by any chance???

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
David, luckily Jake 's(13) rabies boosters are up.to date but we have decided that our trip to France in February will be our last in the event of a no deal brexit. At the age he is we have no desire to.put him through any discomfort so will make Scotland our destination of choice for as long as he is with us. Enjoy your travels with the lovely Lola.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'm questioning the need for a blood test requirement now ... not after Brexit ...

AFAIK there is no requirement to have a blood test at present at all. Under the current rules after the jab you have to wait 21 days before you can re-enter the UK, you can leave on the same day the jab is done if you wish.

The blood test requirement is ONLY needed if the rules change after Brexit and it is made compulsory.

As for taking elderly dogs abroad, our Romy is coming up to 16 and thoroughly enjoyed her last 2 month holiday (Nov 18), probably one of the best she's had, so I am glad we took her to France/Portugal/Spain especially since she's now been diagnosed with Cushing's Disease so it could well be her last foreign one depending on how she gets on with the meds.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I'm questioning the need for a blood test requirement now ... not after Brexit ...

AFAIK there is no requirement to have a blood test at present at all. Under the current rules after the jab you have to wait 21 days before you can re-enter the UK, you can leave on the same day the jab is done if you wish.

The blood test requirement is ONLY needed if the rules change after Brexit and it is made compulsory.

As for taking elderly dogs abroad, our Romy is coming up to 16 and thoroughly enjoyed her last 2 month holiday (Nov 18), probably one of the best she's had, so I am glad we took her to France/Portugal/Spain especially since she's now been diagnosed with Cushing's Disease so it could well be her last foreign one depending on how she gets on with the meds.

I am going back to the vets today with Lola as she has an unexplained wound on her tail, will be checking with them again in regard to the blood test bit

But as our trip would be so close to the 29th March I doubt we will risk travelling with her with a gap in the dates, all it needs is an over zealous border patrol person and it could mean quarantine :( however right we think we are o_O

Last edited:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Glad Romy enjoyed her trip Minxy girl - Jake loves going away with us, but he now has ongoing health issues which may mean that we will need to curtail our travels, however we will play it by ear and take each day as it comes. Hopefully he will enjoy other trips to France in the coming months. Hope the meds work for Romy

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
20190125_135025.jpg

I don't know what we will be required to do, Izzy had the blood test when she first had a UK passport, so we have the certificate before they changed the rules. :rolleyes:

The Spanish passport has that all in it, but we will still carry both and the certificate. :D
All her jabs are up to date, next Rabies is due in July, but will have it done a little sooner. (y) Bob.

Last edited:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Leave or not, if the rabies booster anniversary date is exceeded by as little as one minute, then the whole process has to be started again.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007

you are correct but as you are aware the need for blood tests prior to travel was a condition several years ago when certainly we got our first pet passport stamp for Merlin, so is still valid as long as boosters are valid, including if no deal brexit is my understanding.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
From the DEFRA site advice it would appear that returning to the UK is no problem as long as you have a valid pet passport. You don't need the bloodtest and Health certificate to go to Europe as long as you leave before 29th March, as we will still be members of the EU, and this is what we propose to do. OK for this trip but next could be a problem if we crash out of the EU without some sort of agreement.

From the DEFRA site, after leaving without a deal;

Return to the UK
Your pet must have one of the following documents when returning to the UK:

• an existing EU pet passport (both for UK and EU citizens)
  • the EU health certificate issued in the UK used to travel to the EU
  • a UK pet health certificate (issued outside the UK for travel into the UK only)
(My highlighting)
In other words no difference to coming back to the UK, only travelling to Europe.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
you are correct but as you are aware the need for blood tests prior to travel was a condition several years ago when certainly we got our first pet passport stamp for Merlin, so is still valid as long as boosters are valid, including if no deal brexit is my understanding.
Romy and Lily both got their passports under the old scheme so had blood tests but Tazzy got hers after they'd scrapped the blood test bit so never had one, if she has to have one done we'll worry about it when we next start thinking about going abroad which won't be until after Brexit has happened.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
@Minxy Girl
Our dog has travelled since 2012 on just her passport (no titre test needed) but if we get a ‘no deal’ we might need the titre test. So we had the test done a couple of months ago as when/if it comes into force you have to stay in UK for 3 months in spite of getting a cert to say dog is immune.
We want to travel (if we’re allowed) again this year but need to return to UK-family- for a month before sloping off again so if we had the titre test done on our return we would be grounded for 3 months!!!
Still can’t see why the 3 months, once you’ve got the all clear cert why wait!
Titre costs an ‘arm & a leg’ we were quoted nearly £200. from one vet then got it eventually for £116. Load of cobblers!

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Hi Jan!

I believe that in the event of a no deal you’d only need to do the blood test and wait 3 months once. On subsequent trips you’d only need to have a health certificate.

From the uk-gov info.....

Repeat trips to the EU
Pets that have previously had a blood test and have an up-to-date rabies vaccination do not need to repeat the blood test. Your pet will need a health certificate for each trip to the EU.

To get a new health certificate you must take your pet to an OV no more than 10 days before you travel. You must take proof of:

• your pet’s vaccination history
  • a successful rabies antibody blood test result

Jul 24, 2014
North cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer Symbol Auto
Exp
since 2010
After 29th March (whatever happens) Defra will have information on their site 're pet travel, advice put out for travel before or about that date is to contact ones vet four weeks beforehand. This is information I have received from The Kennel club. :sneaky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back