DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
our five spaces for clinical examinations are spread over 2 pages, ours was issued in 2009 hopefully the new ones have more spaces (y)

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
Slightly off topic, but I have had a couple of wines so dont care, our puppy aka the little bar steward who is slowly eating our Motorhome, was due a worming tablet.
We are currently in Fortuna, Murcia, and having been given the fat bar stewards tablets I got my debit card out in order to pay the vet, he looked at me very strangely.
Reason....
Fortuna, Murcia 8 yes 8 Euros.
Rip off French ####holes 58 Euros.
I know some of you are going to come back with various stuff about their French vet had lovely eyes, was very kind to their puppy wuppy, but 58 Euros was the most and 40 Euros the least.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Slightly off topic, but I have had a couple of wines so dont care, our puppy aka the little bar steward who is slowly eating our Motorhome, was due a worming tablet.
We are currently in Fortuna, Murcia, and having been given the fat bar stewards tablets I got my debit card out in order to pay the vet, he looked at me very strangely.
Reason....
Fortuna, Murcia 8 yes 8 Euros.
Rip off French ####holes 58 Euros.
I know some of you are going to come back with various stuff about their French vet had lovely eyes, was very kind to their puppy wuppy, but 58 Euros was the most and 40 Euros the least.
:LOL:My vet charges 3€ for the tablet & signs, dates it all & encapsulates it free.(y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we got checked for €18 including worm tablets, inspection and passport stamp in France in September, by far the best we have had, but you do get a 5 day window, time to get done in another country and still get back to Calais (y)

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
We pay 43 Euros for two dogs .21and a bit each .always used the same vet in Calais.and she likes to give the cat a once over free.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Pet Passport, Not fit for purpose comes to mind. Defra, not fit for purpose comes to mind!!
It’s quite pathetic that there isn’t a difinative answer to what is bound to happen a full page following what is legally required. The answer go back to go it’s ridiculous.
We rang Defra when our pets passports were full. There reply was that they supply the passports free to the vets and it’s up to the vet to charge what they like and the procedure for filling it in. It’s all common sense really and if you think the vet is ripping you off, go to another vet
Our dogs had their second rabies jabs, noted in the first book, which was almost full, so when it was, we got new passports from France for €15 each. They filled out the front page with the dogs details, now when we come back into the UK, the original passport has the rabies jabs in it and the second passport is the one the vet fills in.
Simples

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The above post brings me to ask a question ... is there any reason why you can't get a new passport from the vet in Euroland before coming back to the UK, after all you have to visit one anyway before returning, if it's just to fill in the thing itself with no rabies etc jabs needed then why not?

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
the key thing seems to be the clinical inspection and whether it needs to be done or not, we still have another 10 spaces for confirmation of the worming treatment, the only full bit in Lola's passport is the examination section which would appear to only apply for outside the EU anway

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
the key thing seems to be the clinical inspection and whether it needs to be done or not, we still have another 10 spaces for confirmation of the worming treatment, the only full bit in Lola's passport is the examination section which would appear to only apply for outside the EU anway
I was going to ask if you'd been having the clinical examination part filled in. That part is full in one of ours as well, but looking into it, this only needs completing when using third party transportation as I understand it. I don't think anyone has ever looked at that page when coming through border control, so we're not going to bother with it in future.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Our two dogs passports were also full. I phoned defra and was informed to do this
View attachment 194180

I gave documents for both dogs to the vet in Benidorm and it was signed and stamped no problem. Form was accepted at the channel tunnel along with original passport. No need for a new passport. I printed the documents out myself before we went to Spain to make it easier for the vet. She just checked document and checked dogs and off we went.

This is exactly what Christian, the vet in Bernkastel Kues told us to do.

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
IMG_2117.JPG
As the 'Clinical Examination' page was full the last time we came back from France, the vet transcribed the declaration onto the following page (X Legalisation) and stamped and signed it. I might do the same on our next trip, just in case ;)

Apr 7, 2008
Garstang, Lancashire, UK.
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RB
Exp
Since 1968.
didn't count the pages or places to fill in the records when we got it, but Lola has already filled her passport, of course she hasn't, but it is full

in fact we got lucky on lour way back fro Norway the vet had to squeeze her report on the end of the page

so now we have no room left, been to vet today with one of our cats and asked what to do, there apparently is no reissue option we would have to redo the whole application, but she suggest we should be all right with the records on letter head handed in with the passport

we asked 'should be?' and what happens at border control if it doesn't

so we are going to enquire from the passport issuers tomorrow for a 'real' answer

but has anybody already filled theirs?
Our dog, Effie the effin' dog, is now over ten years of age and we do four crossing on the Bilbao ferry each year. When we needed a new Pet Passport we went to the veterinary where she was first registered and chipped etc and receive a new Pet Passport there and then. The price? It's FREE!!!! I should add that we use the same veterinary all the time. Hope this helps.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The above post brings me to ask a question ... is there any reason why you can't get a new passport from the vet in Euroland before coming back to the UK, after all you have to visit one anyway before returning, if it's just to fill in the thing itself with no rabies etc jabs needed then why not?

No.

In my PP there are notes to coincide with each section in both spanish/english.
Clinical inspection is only required if being transported by a 3rd party & who should also be using , legally ,a health certificate. This is usually only when the animal is being imported/exported whether permanently/temporarily.

When I moved here, just as PP started it was just a sheet of paper then no book, & contacted defra I was told I could just take the dogs without anything but if I wished to do it correctly then they needed rabies , chips ,etc; +health certificate & export certificate.
I had to export/import them to myself. There was also a specific time period from the vet signing/dating the stuff & when I asked "what happens if I exceed the time period" was told " oh ,nothing no one will ever ask you " :(:LOL:

Jenowen

Free Member
Aug 2, 2014
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
This is a very interesting thread, showing the wide variation in practices. and costs! As others have experienced, spaces in our first book filled before the passport expired. So our vet issued a new book in which he wrote the date that he confirmed our dogs chip number. The fact that it was a ‘confirmation’ and not the actual date of chipping was lost in translation when coming through Calais. Computer said ‘No’ as the chip date has to be before the date of the rabies vac.
Fortunately, as others have done, we were carrying the old passport as well but we did have a tense few minutes pulled to one side for extra scrutiny. We always carry every bit of paperwork now.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
View attachment 194264 As the 'Clinical Examination' page was full the last time we came back from France, the vet transcribed the declaration onto the following page (X Legalisation) and stamped and signed it. I might do the same on our next trip, just in case ;)
That's what they vets sometimes do for ours as they feel they 'should' do it, but it's never been checked at Pet Passport control ... ever! :rolleyes:

Dec 7, 2009
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Since Dec 2009
Jess is on her second passport, this was issued by our vet (free if I remember correctly) and he transcribed the microchip and last rabies booster details from her original passport. The clinical examination page was only completed on a couple of occasions by over zealous vets and I now tell them not to bother (after initially checking at the Tunnel Pet Passport office). I carry the old passport in case of any queries.

One particularly expensive vet in Paris also produced a letter in french and english confirming that each dog was fit to travel - obviously trying to justify the huge fee!!

Fees have varied enormously - from 13 euros for each dog in Ay to an eye-watering 48 euros each in Epernay :eek: (the vet at Ay was on holiday :().

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Jess is on her second passport, this was issued by our vet (free if I remember correctly) and he transcribed the microchip and last rabies booster details from her original passport. The clinical examination page was only completed on a couple of occasions by over zealous vets and I now tell them not to bother (after initially checking at the Tunnel Pet Passport office). I carry the old passport in case of any queries.

One particularly expensive vet in Paris also produced a letter in french and english confirming that each dog was fit to travel - obviously trying to justify the huge fee!!

Fees have varied enormously - from 13 euros for each dog in Ay to an eye-watering 48 euros each in Epernay :eek: (the vet at Ay was on holiday :().
We paid €107 for 2 dogs at Boulogne Sur Mer once, and last year got ripped off royally to the tune of €111 for 3 dogs in Courseulles sur Mer who I've blacklisted!

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
We blackballed one in La croix du Vieux Pont ,four years ago ,97 euros for two dogs Heaven knows what he charges now . I do hope he has gone bust but that doesn't happen to vets lol.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
This is a very interesting thread, showing the wide variation in practices. and costs! As others have experienced, spaces in our first book filled before the passport expired. So our vet issued a new book in which he wrote the date that he confirmed our dogs chip number. The fact that it was a ‘confirmation’ and not the actual date of chipping was lost in translation when coming through Calais. Computer said ‘No’ as the chip date has to be before the date of the rabies vac.
Fortunately, as others have done, we were carrying the old passport as well but we did have a tense few minutes pulled to one side for extra scrutiny. We always carry every bit of paperwork now.

“Wide Variation of Practices” This is exactly the point and Defra is responsible for this and it’s clear the the PP Scheme was not set up correctly at the outset.
Why should you ever have to phone Defra for clarity on simple matters like,what happens when the Passport or page is full, it should be made clear, it’s obviously not as you get Vets actioning different methods to achieve a solution.

Some time ago the MH we had at the time broke down 5 times on the way to Bilbao (don’t ask) we missed the Ferry by 20 minutes having been in one location for 24hours awaiting a response from Safeguards recovery service who never actually came ( don’t ask). So we went over the 5 day period for the Passport, now you are probably thinking no problem go to a Vet and repeat the process, And this is where Defra again hasn’t thought it through, the Vet did the nessasary except he couldn’t complete the PP because you cannot give a Dog a Worming Tablet within a 14 day Preriod of the last one taken!! Understandable who would want to incur whatever could occur through over medication.

I am sure many people miss deadlines for all sorts of unforeseen curcumstances, they certainly don’t do it intentionally, in our case what were we to do sit around for 14 days until a further Tablet was allowed, I eventually persuaded the Vet to sign but he didn’t want to he’s was dedicated to following exact procedure.

Did Defra think this and I’m sure other issues through? Not in my opinion.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Broke down in France last year after the dog had had her tablet. Had to take her to another vet who insisted that she have another tablet. Not happy about it but nothing we could do.

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
We paid €107 for 2 dogs at Boulogne Sur Mer once, and last year got ripped off royally to the tune of €111 for 3 dogs in Courseulles sur Mer who I've blacklisted!
We managed to fnd one in Burgos this year that charged us zilch! We had our own worming tablets but they wouldn't accept anything for stamping and signing the 2 passports.

Jenowen

Free Member
Aug 2, 2014
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
Fantastic result. Can you share the details of this fantastic vet in Burgos? It's such a fantastic place that it wouldn't be a chore to stop off there to see vet.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
just had a comprehensive reply, possibly the best ever from a government department :)(y)

Good morning,

Thank you for your email.

Please be advised that whilst the entry for clinical examination is not required to be completed for the movement of dogs and cats to other EU countries, some transport companies may still require owners to produce evidence of an animal’s fitness to travel.

Veterinarians may, therefore, complete the ‘Clinical Examination’ section of the passport if they wish to do so and if it is possible. Alternatively, the following statement could be used as a guide by vets if issuing a letter to a client regarding an animal`s fitness to travel, should it be needed -

“On (enter date), I examined the animal described in UK pet passport serial no (enter number) and found it to be free from clinical sign of infectious or contagious disease, including external parasites, and in my opinion, is fit for travel”.

Please be advised that additional pages may not be attached to the EU pet passport. If an essential section has become filled, (rabies vaccinations or tapeworm treatment), you will need to obtain a re-issue passport. Re-issue passports, like the originals, should be obtained from your vet.

If the need for a replacement is specifically due to the tapeworm treatment section (Echinococcus treatment) being full (e.g. a frequent traveller) a second passport can be issued for the dog in which only the microchip details are duplicated and the latest tapeworm treatment is recorded. There is no requirement to add previous rabies vaccination details to the second passport but both passports must be presented for checks until a further vaccination is required.

Kind Regards,

Michelle Allison

Imports Team

Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA)

Telephone: 03000 200 301 Email: imports@apha.gsi.gov.uk Fax: 0208 0260 498

Address: Centre for International Trade, Eden Bridge House, Lowther Street, Carlisle, CA3 8DX

Website: www.gov.uk/apha | Twitter: @APHAgovuk | Facebook: aphagov

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back