Pet passport full (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
didn't count the pages or places to fill in the records when we got it, but Lola has already filled her passport, of course she hasn't, but it is full

in fact we got lucky on lour way back fro Norway the vet had to squeeze her report on the end of the page

so now we have no room left, been to vet today with one of our cats and asked what to do, there apparently is no reissue option we would have to redo the whole application, but she suggest we should be all right with the records on letter head handed in with the passport

we asked 'should be?' and what happens at border control if it doesn't

so we are going to enquire from the passport issuers tomorrow for a 'real' answer

but has anybody already filled theirs?

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
A few years ago we took our full passport to the vet and asked for a new one, instead they inserted some new pages in the existing one. This worked okay for two years until returning from France and the staff at Euro tunnel rejected it, we shot off down to the ferry bought a one way ticket but they accepted it.
When we got home we changed the old passport for a new one, the vet just transferred everything over to the new one.
So make sure that you get a new one.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Pet Passport, Not fit for purpose comes to mind. Defra, not fit for purpose comes to mind!!
It’s quite pathetic that there isn’t a difinative answer to what is bound to happen a full page following what is legally required. The answer go back to go it’s ridiculous.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I think the rabies test has either been dropped or simplified since we did ours 5 years ago, but do you have to pay full price again?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
As others have stated you just get a new passport & the next set of details gets put in there & you carry that along with the original.
You do not have to get anything 'done again'. Just the usual yearly jabs etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

LPB

Aug 19, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
I'm a newbie
If its the tapeworm treatment we had the same problem in september.
The vet just wrote over the next page and we had no problem at eurotunnel.
Lloyd

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Your vet is talking cobblers! All you need is a new passport document doing by your vet, nothing else. We had this with our Romy and all they did was do a new passport for her and write 'ongoing passport' on the top so they were aware there was a previous one which we always take with us anyway. Whilst the style etc of the passport has changed the dog hasn't so there's no reason at all why you should have to apply afresh for a passport, but just get a new style one with the appropriate details filled in.

It also might be worth ringing round your local vets to see what the going rate is for a new passport as the rates seem to vary from £50 to £100 depending on who has the most 'expensive' ink! You don't have to use your usual vet for this although they 'might' price match!

This is the guidance on how to fill in the new passport which vets use, which has the below wording in it, finally confirming that the clinical exam is NOT needed for returning to the UK from the EU:

upload_2017-10-25_23-28-36.png

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Pet Passport, Not fit for purpose comes to mind. Defra, not fit for purpose comes to mind!!
It’s quite pathetic that there isn’t a difinative answer to what is bound to happen a full page following what is legally required. The answer go back to go it’s ridiculous.
Whoa. Have a nice cup of tea and a smile.

Worse things happen at sea :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Whoa. Have a nice cup of tea and a smile.

Worse things happen at sea :)
... bearing in mind we're talking about a pet passport to take the dog abroad which often requires the crossing of the sea either via tunnel or ferry that's NOT a comforting thought! :Eeek:

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
... bearing in mind we're talking about a pet passport to take the dog abroad which often requires the crossing of the sea either via tunnel or ferry that's NOT a comforting thought! :Eeek:
But getting angry on a forum will not change anything.

Happy replies makes folk happy

Angry replies makes us all sad. And a waste of time

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
But getting angry on a forum will not change anything.

Happy replies makes folk happy

Angry replies makes us all sad. And a waste of time
You should know me well enough by now to know that I was JOKING!!!!! :D Think it's past your bedtime as you're reading stuff that's not there ... :D2

Aug 23, 2009
Burnham on Sea-late of Mortagne sur Gironde
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Stargazer
Exp
Since 1995
I now have two passports for Poppy. The original with rabies and other jabs recorded in which the tape worm pages are full and a second one with the ID/microchip pages filled in and certified by my vet. I present both to the vet I'm using in France and then to the border control checker and have never had any trouble.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Your vet is talking cobblers! All you need is a new passport document doing by your vet, nothing else. We had this with our Romy and all they did was do a new passport for her and write 'ongoing passport' on the top so they were aware there was a previous one which we always take with us anyway. Whilst the style etc of the passport has changed the dog hasn't so there's no reason at all why you should have to apply afresh for a passport, but just get a new style one with the appropriate details filled in.

It also might be worth ringing round your local vets to see what the going rate is for a new passport as the rates seem to vary from £50 to £100 depending on who has the most 'expensive' ink! You don't have to use your usual vet for this although they 'might' price match!

I now have two passports for Poppy. The original with rabies and other jabs recorded in which the tape worm pages are full and a second one with the ID/microchip pages filled in and certified by my vet. I present both to the vet I'm using in France and then to the border control checker and have never had any trouble.

thanks both,

as I am obviously dealing with a vet who doesn't know, just so at least I know exactly what they need to do, is the new book literally that, a copy of the original, same info etc just transferred / rewritten?

no blood tests etc?

but they still ask for up to £100, I didn't think we paid much more than that for the original passport

edit - I also sent an email to the gov.uk enquiry option on the pet passport info page, a printout of their reply hopefully will be all our vet needs o_O

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
when i had my old dog we just saw the vet and got a new one free no charge . yes keep rabies jabs upto date .
no need for blood test, but if thinking of going to morocco have one done at least to prove it worked and the later jabs will have kept it up ok.
they dont always ask when coming back into spain ,but if there is a panic going on they do. years ago german friends had a problem but my blackie was ok as she had the test done to suit uk rules .
many vets dont seem to know the rules .

Aug 23, 2009
Burnham on Sea-late of Mortagne sur Gironde
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Stargazer
Exp
Since 1995
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
thanks both,

as I am obviously dealing with a vet who doesn't know, just so at least I know exactly what they need to do, is the new book literally that, a copy of the original, same info etc just transferred / rewritten?

no blood tests etc?

o_O
Correct just a copy of the original.
The passport layout has changed - top picture is the replacement, annotated replacement and the bottom picture is the original. Have just rung the vet to confirm the cost and is £25

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
We had great fun when we returned to the UK for the first time with the pup.

Shock horror!!!! He had a Swiss Passport and the to$$ pots on Brittany Ferries could not get their heads around that and threatened to have him put in quarantine, even the nice lady in Plymouth had to phone DEFRA for advice.

Upon our return to France, after sneaking him in to a photo booth, when we were asked for our passports we produced ours....and his....

IMG_3197.JPG

and fair play, the lady at the passport control got a Police Officer to come in to the van and check him against the photo.

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Our two dogs passports were also full. I phoned defra and was informed to do this
IMG_3469.PNG

I gave documents for both dogs to the vet in Benidorm and it was signed and stamped no problem. Form was accepted at the channel tunnel along with original passport. No need for a new passport. I printed the documents out myself before we went to Spain to make it easier for the vet. She just checked document and checked dogs and off we went.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@lesleyjean many thanks for that, it also suggests that our vets may actually have known what they were talking about, despite not being very convincing

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
@Chas17 and @obanvanman You might want to remove your image above as it gives your name, address and phone number ... not ideal on the internet!

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Our two dogs passports were also full. I phoned defra and was informed to do this
View attachment 194180

I gave documents for both dogs to the vet in Benidorm and it was signed and stamped no problem. Form was accepted at the channel tunnel along with original passport. No need for a new passport. I printed the documents out myself before we went to Spain to make it easier for the vet. She just checked document and checked dogs and off we went.
When was it that you used the paper 'insert'? Did you get a new passport afterwards?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
didn't count the pages or places to fill in the records when we got it, but Lola has already filled her passport, of course she hasn't, but it is full
Just reading this again, it's the health check bit that's full I assume, not the worm treatment pages? As I posted earlier the health check pages don't need filling in at all but vets just tend to do it, I doubt, however, if you'd get away with the worm treatment just on a paper insert.

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Just reading this again, it's the health check bit that's full I assume, not the worm treatment pages? As I posted earlier the health check pages don't need filling in at all but vets just tend to do it, I doubt, however, if you'd get away with the worm treatment just on a paper insert.
Hi Minxy girl

Yes it's the healthcheck page. I have always had to show the healthcheck page coming back into the country. You don't need one going out of the country, but do need one coming in. Worm treatment page on passport was not full, so used original passport for worm stamp.

This is what I did coming in this year.

Just removed my address

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

you are of course quite right MG it is only the clinical inspection that is full, how daft that they only gave 5 spaces for that and 15 for the worming tablet bit and even worse 12 for the rabies confirmation that lasts 3 years !!

although the clinical inspection is no longer needed, I wonder if border control accept no records

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
View attachment 193963 View attachment 193962
Correct just a copy of the original.
The passport layout has changed - top picture is the replacement, annotated replacement and the bottom picture is the original. Have just rung the vet to confirm the cost and is £25

Why are both old & new in English only ? I thought that the idea of them was so that they were readable in other countries? Mine is like @obanvanman Swiss/english being spanish /english .
There is no requirement for the clinical bit to be filled in unless the dog/cat/ferret has been out of the EU. i.e. Morocco. Mine is blank/uncompleted.
Here regardless of lifespan of the rabies jab it is required to be done yearly.
Worming, which is also a legal requirement is required to be done every 3 months. = 4 per year. I get around filling up the passport by having the normal 3monthly ones put in his vet book, which I have to carry along with pet pasport anyway. & yes he has an additional worming tablet as travel never falls within the 4 x 3 monthly ones.
The rabies & booster jabs ,yearly, are always put in the pet passport.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
The rabies jab, Ours get one jab every three years .Every time we come back from France the dogs have to be wormed and health checked by a vet.All this information goes on the passport. To get into the UK. Note Gus lives in Spain.lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
The rabies jab, Ours get one jab every three years .Every time we come back from France the dogs have to be wormed and health checked by a vet.All this information goes on the passport.

but there are only 5 spaces for the health check bit, which appears not to be needed anyway, that is the bit on ours that is full

it will be a nervy arrival at Calais next time, mind you could be worse could be stuck in Folkestone :LOL: we can just stay a bit longer (y)

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Just checked ours David ,we have two pages (10 spaces ) five are full .and we have five empty so five more returns with the passport left, so we should be ok for another couple of years.We average two visits a year to France.As the vet has to declare the pet fit to travel they may be able to use the section set out the same overleaf. That is to get into the UK.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back