Personalised Plates - insurance and tax (1 Viewer)

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Friend of mine sold her car (Honda) with personalised number plates to her nephew on the understanding that she would later on get the personalised plates back and put them on her new car. Current situation is that she has got the log book back for her current car showing the personalised plates and also has the previous log book showing the plates which were on the car when she bought it but, due to her nephew being dozy, he hasn't returned the personalised plates yet, although he has re-registered the Honda and has the log book back showing his new reg, i.e. not the personalised ones.
Question: Is she legal to drive, insurance and road tax wise, with her car showing the plates she bought it with but the V5 showing the personalised number. Will say again, she has both the previous and new V5 for her current car.
Bit convoluted but hopefully you understand.

Thanks.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Could be difficult if the police have cause to stop the car as there is definitely an offence of displaying the wrong number and they may think there is some other (fraudulent) issue going on - this could be made worse if the two cars involved are the same make and model as it might appear to be a cloning exercise. My advice is to get the new plates made up and displayed asap.

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
Friend of mine sold her car (Honda) with personalised number plates to her nephew on the understanding that she would later on get the personalised plates back and put them on her new car. Current situation is that she has got the log book back for her current car showing the personalised plates and also has the previous log book showing the plates which were on the car when she bought it but, due to her nephew being dozy, he hasn't returned the personalised plates yet, although he has re-registered the Honda and has the log book back showing his new reg, i.e. not the personalised ones.
Question: Is she legal to drive, insurance and road tax wise, with her car showing the plates she bought it with but the V5 showing the personalised number. Will say again, she has both the previous and new V5 for her current car.

Thanks.

You can check the insurance status here https://ownvehicle.askmid.com/

Dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If the insurance is in the new number I would have thought the car should be too how would someone report her with different reg on the car also they might think its a con to avoid speed cams etc so I would have thought illegal to use the old plates.

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
If the latest V5 shows the personal registration number then that is what should be displayed on her car.

The nephew will have a V5 with a different registration number. If he keeps displaying the personal number on his car then it's him that will be committing an excise offence.

AMK

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
gainsborough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2014
Would you really drive a vehicle showing the wrong plates, it's a no brainier isn't it.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just checked mine, it's insured ok and ....

"The vehicle make and model details on the MID are:

Fiat Internet Model"

Must be because it's had so many mods due to forums etc :LOL:
Insurers are idiots.
Many wait until they have a few to register on the mid then they go on as FLEET vehicles.
Just lazy on their part.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
YOU could get the plates for her off ebay to save her the trouble at this sad time.
All you need is the reg number and a delivery address.
They can be made to legal requirements and are much cheaper than a motor factors.
Makes a mockery of the rules regarding buying plates but thats life.

Dec 6, 2011
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Ducato Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks for all your responses. She is going to Halfords tomorrow to get some new plates made and fitted.

You probably already know this but she will need to take her v5 and proof of identity with her.

Mike

Oct 25, 2015
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4t
Exp
Since 2016
DVSA allow about 2 weeks 'grace' to swap plates. This is happening all the time and is built into the system.

Deleted User
YOU could get the plates for her off ebay to save her the trouble at this sad time.
All you need is the reg number and a delivery address.
They can be made to legal requirements and are much cheaper than a motor factors.
Makes a mockery of the rules regarding buying plates but thats life.
As long as they are made by an authorised supplier

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Burstner A Class
Exp
Jan.2014
With the proviso that the Plates are 'Legal' in terms of spacing.
I would be 'Gobsmacked' if, any Police Constable, (even less a Sergeant and as for Insp., well that would require divine intervention)
would get out his, (insert here, what they now use for a Pocket Note Book) and report, 'Aunty,' should she drive around with her personilised plates having bought them from a 'Show Plate' supplier off Ebay.

Just buy a set of cheap plates off E Bay and instruct nephew that she is just about to 'Diss' him.
In this case 'Diss' means disinherit him.

On second thoughts, reverse the above two options and she, no doubt will get the old plates back from the errant nephew very quick.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
As long as they are made by an authorised supplier
They aren't if one takes the 'no hassle' approach - which I've done twice for trailer plates - but they comply with the legislation regarding appearance and Approval numbers. Which is all that anyone will ever check.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08

Thanks.
When the car shows registered to you with the registration no
You need to show that no

Take log book to motor factor buy no plates
Fix to car job done I believe

the plates on the previous car are now
Incorrectley showing and the responsibility
Of the new owner

When I bought our scenic it had private reg
The dealer secured new original plates behind the
So that I could remove the private plate to reveal the
Original plate

Oct 21, 2016
New Forest , Hampshire .
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit
Exp
Still very new , since September 2012
Ever since Private plates were issued, DVLA go out of their way to confuse the Car owner, Motortrade ,and them selves . The transfer of plates has been straightened out with the online link providing you have access to both V5 documents, but it's amazing how they keep blaming the computer , and not the person operating it.
I found out three months after buying a car , from a dealer , having presented them with the approved DVLA certificates , and £140 for the tax, last week I am told my new car has been untaxed all this time !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back