Personal security during a break-in (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I accidentally got spray perfume in one eye once, never again, stings and difficult to wash out so that’s what I would use. Although I don’t think the situation would arise!
Any particular perfume? Cheap & crappy or bling & expensive? :giggle:

If you go too cheap the plod might not believe you were going to actually use it as perfume! :LOL:

Apr 29, 2016
Aquitaine, France
Funster No
MH
Kentucky Estro 9
Exp
23 years
I live in France and have a combined taser/pepper spray, during a turn out by police & customs they congratulated me on my choice, saying travelling alone in camping car can be risky and if close enough the taser is best, the pepper spray jet has a range of 3-4 metres. I keep it under my pillow though I have a nose for risky places & would prefer to move on than take a chance, I'm forgetful and have had to post it home 3 times because of its illegality in various countries.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Just the standard .454 Casull Magnum. :giggle:
Like Minxy Girl's idea of cheap perfume. I don't actually take anything for the purpose.
Edit: Oops, its was Shrimp's suggestion.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
We do have a red spay on the shelf by the door, makes a real mess of remove resistant bright red dye, harmless but real messy and allows them to be identified for a few days.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I decided that I would attack any unwelcome visitor and ask questions later, the logic being that you need to be the first to act so cannot afford delay whilst making such decisions.

Then we were burgled overnight. I think* I was woken by a noise, but I think* they froze until I was back to sleep before carrying-on as quietly as possible. (* I don’t think it was gas?-)

I came to realise that I was deluding myself about my attack strategy: I would be scantily clad, barely alert, needing to climb out of an awkward bed, in the dark with eyes not acclimatised, no glasses to see properly, no shoes for the pursuit, no teeth to bite… They are likely to be scared off by such actions but might stay to watch the entertainment, knowing that they are unlikely to suffer much harm…

The event hasn’t stopped us from continuing to enjoy our freedom as we did before. I might become paranoid if I were to prepare for such an eventuality every night and that’s not what we motorhome for. It’s not a common event, so we still sleep sound.

Nov 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs i7150 esprit
Exp
Since 2018
As an ex Police Officer, with a good number of years as a Firearms Officer I would have to align behind post 60#. First thing to say is that breaking and entering occupied premises is very rare. If you react with violence you have escalated the situation and given every justification for the perpetrator to use violence against you. Proactively hitting someone with an object and taking them out takes training and experience. To incapacitate someone motivated to protect themselves takes a state of mind the vast majority of us thankfully do not poses...including intruders.

The best action is preventative with locks. In terms of disorientating any potential assailant, noise is by far the best option....the Police use it frequently....usually their voice. If you use your voice....do not just shout once....keep it up...just shout “get out or get down” and continuously repeat it until they leave...do not let up. A rape alarm also works very well, it is very hard to remain focussed with noise like this.

You want them to leave....if they do not and choose the get down option (they won’t) change your shout to ”face down arms by your side” then sit on them legs astride as high up their back a possible with knees in their armpits....partner calls the Police. I could go on in terms of how you then safely incapacitate them but you really need to be in control of your Adrenalin. Much the best option is that they leave and in 99.9999% of cases they will.

DO NOT follow them, report the incident to the Police as it may add crucial information to their intelligence picture.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Pepper spray is a great idea but beware, in the eyes of our Rsuppards snowflake legal system you would be considered to be a threat to society for having the audacity to protect you and yours!:banghead:
Is that the snowflake legal system that created the Firearms Act of 1968? .... Bloomin' hippy generation banning the possession of devices that can used to discharge noxious liquids... Punishable with a fine / prison sentence and criminal record....

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
When in Europe/UK I always keep a can of "RAID" handy !!
Be careful, watch when using it at home as smell/fumes go for my eyes and throat , end up with eyes streaming and cough for ages after spraying.
So any thieving bugger would get a facefull which would allow to drive away !!
But it bloody works !!

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Any particular perfume? Cheap & crappy or bling & expensive? :giggle:

If you go too cheap the plod might not believe you were going to actually use it as perfume! :LOL:
Have you forgotten we come from hull :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
As an ex Police Officer, with a good number of years as a Firearms Officer I would have to align behind post 60#. First thing to say is that breaking and entering occupied premises is very rare. If you react with violence you have escalated the situation and given every justification for the perpetrator to use violence against you. Proactively hitting someone with an object and taking them out takes training and experience. To incapacitate someone motivated to protect themselves takes a state of mind the vast majority of us thankfully do not poses...including intruders.

The best action is preventative with locks. In terms of disorientating any potential assailant, noise is by far the best option....the Police use it frequently....usually their voice. If you use your voice....do not just shout once....keep it up...just shout “get out or get down” and continuously repeat it until they leave...do not let up. A rape alarm also works very well, it is very hard to remain focussed with noise like this.

You want them to leave....if they do not and choose the get down option (they won’t) change your shout to ”face down arms by your side” then sit on them legs astride as high up their back a possible with knees in their armpits....partner calls the Police. I could go on in terms of how you then safely incapacitate them but you really need to be in control of your Adrenalin. Much the best option is that they leave and in 99.9999% of cases they will.

DO NOT follow them, report the incident to the Police as it may add crucial information to their intelligence picture.
On a more serious note, I agree with this, SHOUTING, SHOUTING & more SHOUTING causes disorientation.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Aye, I ken ... I'm sure I can hear you in Cottingham at times! :LOL:
One Saturday I was on my way to work in the City of London, I saw what I thought was a council gardner step out of a flower bed he started approaching me and asking if I had a problem, he did seem an undesirable and I said in a loud voice......its F*** Saturday its F*** 8am and your asking me if I have a problem..do you want to know just how much a problem it is being F*** here on a F*** Saturday morning as I walked passed him, I could see by the confused face he wasn't quite sure what to do next so I ranted 8 F*** clock and your asking me if I have a problem F*** Saturday... by this time I had wandered past and kept walking just scowling over my shoulder at the guy as I walked off. I don't normally swear and I am not normally loud. But I just acted confidently loudly and aggressive wording which all seemed to do the trick, phew.

All I can say is be more Cat.....

Chriseui

Free Member
Jun 22, 2017
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
X250 LWB Van Conversion
Exp
Personally we sleep with a 47 Kilo GSD in the van and he is very protective of the van and it's occupants.

Our van doesn't have proximity detectors so we can lock the doors and set the alarm to give us some warning.

Attachments

• 01b2dfedb854e6ae2ebbfa56afedcf0d5c83277446.jpg
    01b2dfedb854e6ae2ebbfa56afedcf0d5c83277446.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 22
Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
I have an old big maglite torch deliberately next to my bed. It is a torch but is as big as a rounders bat. With my wife and kids in there, if I wake up and see someone, they are having it till they are out or no longer pose a threat inside.

That would be if they stayed long enough to see my naked bulk flying at them whilst roaring with rage. :)

Oh and if the 25KG Belgian Shepard let them in in the first place. Quite likely as she is as thick as mince and loves people!
Many of us think we'd have a go and if they come as far as your bedroom while you're in it you might but it's highly unlikely they'd get that far

If they come forthe MH it'll be when it's on the drive and you're out or will break in looking downstairs for the keys, they don't want a fight but will be prepared for it.

You'll be barefoot in your pants against 2-3 fit tooled up young men

A friend of my wife had her house broken into while she was upstairs , she did the sensible thing, stayed where she was and called the police.

When they came after the burglars had left she went down , they'd put all the kitchen knives on the stairs , she even commented how cheeky they were because they'd boiled the kettle to make some tea.

The copper had to let her know that was for her if she'd come downstairs.

It's the indignation of having them take something that's not theirs that would make you angry but the reality is your life and family are more important , it's only stuff and insured.

In a Pickle

Free Member
Oct 9, 2019
Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxlife LHD
Exp
Since 2001
I'm getting the message that peppar spray is not the way forward.

Is there a consensus on how to get a stubborn burglar to leave if I haven't got a guard dog available?

Rape alarm, nudity, a bloody big torch, hairspray and violence seem front runners so far.
What you need is a menopausal woman, trust me I know I am one!!! Anyone else who has been through it will know EXACTLY what I mean.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I've done a little martial arts training... By no means am I any good at it but some of the basic early moves I learnt could result in a broken wrist and elbow and possibly dislocated shoulder followed by a stamp to the neck or head to the attacker.

I also learnt that you can't judge the skills of someone by looking at them... So the scrawny unarmed scrote could incapacitate their attacker or victim just as quickly as a 6ft 6 rugby player and the scrawny scrote could be high as a kite and not feel much pain from an attack.

I also learnt that even with training and a clear fighting area (not a confined motorhome), many people with martial arts training forget it when they are scared or surprised.
If you haven't had any martial arts training it really is difficult to understand how easy it is for some people to incapacitate you if you tried to attack them.

The best form of survival is to be able to get away without being hurt. Everything else can be replaced.

Make lots of noise, flash lights in their eyes perhaps and only use sprays etc as last resort. And perhaps try and work out whether it is safer to stay in the motorhome with the scrote or to exit with your family and find refuge.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I've done a little martial arts training... By no means am I any good at it but some of the basic early moves I learnt could result in a broken wrist and elbow and possibly dislocated shoulder followed by a stamp to the neck or head to the attacker.

I also learnt that you can't judge the skills of someone by looking at them... So the scrawny unarmed scrote could incapacitate their attacker or victim just as quickly as a 6ft 6 rugby player and the scrawny scrote could be high as a kite and not feel much pain from an attack.

I also learnt that even with training and a clear fighting area (not a confined motorhome), many people with martial arts training forget it when they are scared or surprised.
If you haven't had any martial arts training it really is difficult to understand how easy it is for some people to incapacitate you if you tried to attack them.

The best form of survival is to be able to get away without being hurt. Everything else can be replaced.

Make lots of noise, flash lights in their eyes perhaps and only use sprays etc as last resort. And perhaps try and work out whether it is safer to stay in the motorhome with the scrote or to exit with your family and find refuge.

I watched Enter The Dragon twice when I was young, so I would know exactly how to deal with intruders.

In fact the more intruders the merrier🥊

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thankfully carjacking is rare in the UK , i'd think it very unlikely you'd be attacked for a motorhome , it's hardly a fast getaway is it.

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
I watched Enter The Dragon twice when I was young, so I would know exactly how to deal with intruders.

In fact the more intruders the merrier🥊

Just talk like Ray Winston , come on then you @#$% lets ave it

A guy I work with rides a moped to work , he filtered through some traffic and stopped in front of a truck which the driver wasn't happy about

Started calling him all sorts out the window , kev just ignored him until he didn't stop so he unwound all 6'2" of himself off the moped and walked towards the truck , he's from essex so the " well come on then you **** get out , was genuine.

At that point the truck driver realised it wasn't a 16 year old kid , locked the doors and looked straight ahead

The lights changed and kev took his time getting back on the moped while the other guy sat there in silence :D

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Just talk like Ray Winston , come on then you @#$% lets ave it

A guy I work with rides a moped to work , he filtered through some traffic and stopped in front of a truck which the driver wasn't happy about

Started calling him all sorts out the window , kev just ignored him until he didn't stop so he unwound all 6'2" of himself off the moped and walked towards the truck , he's from essex so the " well come on then you **** get out , was genuine.

At that point the truck driver realised it wasn't a 16 year old kid , locked the doors and looked straight ahead

The lights changed and kev took his time getting back on the moped while the other guy sat there in silence :D

My mate did the same, he's 6 foot 3, tattoos, 17 stone, car dispute so he got out of his car and confronted the other car driver who then got out, he was 6 foot 7 and a former kick boxer.

You can imagine what happened to my mate. Moral don't try to push your weight about, there is always the unexpected.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Deep Heat spray would be incapacitating if anyone is after an effective spray.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
My mate did the same, he's 6 foot 3, tattoos, 17 stone, car dispute so he got out of his car and confronted the other car driver who then got out, he was 6 foot 7 and a former kick boxer.

You can imagine what happened to my mate. Moral don't try to push your weight about, there is always the unexpected.

Yeah, but Bruce Lee would have taken them both out whilst sipping on his Chinese tea (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back