Permanant/long term pitches for full time living? (1 Viewer)

grumblebee

Free Member
Oct 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Lorry conversion 7.5
Exp
Hello,

I have purchased a motorhome conversion that I am looking to live in fulltime from about April onwards next year. My circumstances are complicated though (I won't bore you with the details as that's a lot of info and quite personal) and unfortunately I can't qualify for the HGV licence required to drive a 7.5t vehicle for quite some time. As it stands, I will need to hire a driver everytime I need to move on to a new site. I doubt this will be affordable to do every 21-28 days, so I was looking for pitches I can stay at for several months at a time ideally.

The motorhome is fairly self-contained with solar panels, shower, toilet, kitchen, fridge, log burning stove, so whilst full facilities would be preferred (electric hookup, waste disposal, laundry, wifi, shower/toilet block), they are not necessarily absolutely necessary as long as I can empty waste somewhere and amenities are within (car) driving distance.

I've had a brief look at other threads that talk about longer stays, but all mention requiring having to stay elsewhere every 21-28 days for at least 3 days before being able to return to the same pitch. I've also looked at the Caravan Club website and although it is possible to purchase season pitches from March - November, they still have the same rule of actually living there for no more than 21 consecutive days. Unfortunately I will not have a home to go back to and no family or friends to stay with, so I can't go and stay with someone for 3 days then come back. (Though if I could stay in a nearby hotel that accepted dogs for 3 days then that could be dooable. Though I'm sure that's a rare find!).

This has put a bit of a spanner in the works for my plans. Are there places one can go on a more long term basis? Off-grid alternative communities? Farmer's land etc? (Not traveller's yards, somewhere safe and preferably peaceful).

Also I have noticed that some sites state "no commercial vehicles". Although I wouldn't say it looks like one and is not classified as such in terms of road tax and insurance, my vehicle is technically a small lorry (though looks like a very homely horsebox with a wooden porch). Is this likely to present a problem with certain places? Conversions are incredibly popular these days so I would be surprised if they were excluded.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Parents of a friend became property guardians; living on sites in their motorhome to prevent squatters. One property they stayed on site for nearly a year. Free pitch, electric, water etc and some pocket money too.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Welcome to the forum

:welcome4:

Can't help with your question except to say that you're unlikely to be welcomed at a caravan and motorhome club site. They can be a bit sniffy about conversions.
I'm sure others will be along to give more constructive advice (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The 28-day rule applies to sites that have an exemption from planning regulations. The big club sites are geared for recreation so they also impose their own 28-day rules. However, there are plenty of private, regular licensed sites that will let you stay as long as you like.

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
It depends on your circumstances, but have you thought of wardening on a camp site?
I met a family living in a converted truck on a campsite in Cornwall and they were working on the site doing ground maintenance etc to have a free pitch and enough money to live on.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
No campsite will legally allow you to stay for more than your 28 days, they could loose their licence!
There are some places that will allow long term but they ar few and far between.
I see no point in haven’t a MH-conversion or otherwise-if you want to stay in one place all the time!
We find UK difficult and expensive to stay in permanently, we have found a place in Suffolk that will allow winter camping for a couple of months at a time, we’ve been here for nearly 2 months now but they are closing this Jan for a month.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hello,

I have purchased a motorhome conversion that I am looking to live in fulltime from about April onwards next year. My circumstances are complicated though (I won't bore you with the details as that's a lot of info and quite personal) and unfortunately I can't qualify for the HGV licence required to drive a 7.5t vehicle for quite some time. As it stands, I will need to hire a driver everytime I need to move on to a new site. I doubt this will be affordable to do every 21-28 days, so I was looking for pitches I can stay at for several months at a time ideally.

The motorhome is fairly self-contained with solar panels, shower, toilet, kitchen, fridge, log burning stove, so whilst full facilities would be preferred (electric hookup, waste disposal, laundry, wifi, shower/toilet block), they are not necessarily absolutely necessary as long as I can empty waste somewhere and amenities are within (car) driving distance.

I've had a brief look at other threads that talk about longer stays, but all mention requiring having to stay elsewhere every 21-28 days for at least 3 days before being able to return to the same pitch. I've also looked at the Caravan Club website and although it is possible to purchase season pitches from March - November, they still have the same rule of actually living there for no more than 21 consecutive days. Unfortunately I will not have a home to go back to and no family or friends to stay with, so I can't go and stay with someone for 3 days then come back. (Though if I could stay in a nearby hotel that accepted dogs for 3 days then that could be dooable. Though I'm sure that's a rare find!).

This has put a bit of a spanner in the works for my plans. Are there places one can go on a more long term basis? Off-grid alternative communities? Farmer's land etc? (Not traveller's yards, somewhere safe and preferably peaceful).

Also I have noticed that some sites state "no commercial vehicles". Although I wouldn't say it looks like one and is not classified as such in terms of road tax and insurance, my vehicle is technically a small lorry (though looks like a very homely horsebox with a wooden porch). Is this likely to present a problem with certain places? Conversions are incredibly popular these days so I would be surprised if they were excluded.

Thanks in advance.
One or two things , by your avatar you don't appear to be in UK, is the van registered for the UK, do you have a UK licence, because it's not difficult to get a 7.5 ton c1, do you have to be in one place for work if so is there somewhere to park there , industrial estate , for example, and as DBK says, a caravan would be a lot easier to site, but presumably you havnt got a towing licence either so the same problem would come up.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Yes as shown by the campsite we are on at present.
I should have said most campsites!

Reactions: Jim
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think the question about if your MH is UK registered and if you are a UK resident is really important!. The best bet might be a small private site but if you are going to park your conversion up for a long time it might end up being permanent I don't think vehicles like not being used

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
I had a grandfathered 7.5t rating which was removed when I hit 65 or 70 or so. I needed a medical certificate to keep it, and the doc wanted £150 to write it. I decided it wasn't worth spending the money, but I gather I can still revive it by buying the certificate. Another point, is that I've been told that I don't need the rating for a motor home, although some have said that I do.

I posted this because as others have said, do you have a UK licence, and is there the possibility that the vehicle could be registered as a motorhome in the UK?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I had a grandfathered 7.5t rating which was removed when I hit 65 or 70 or so. I needed a medical certificate to keep it, and the doc wanted £150 to write it. I decided it wasn't worth spending the money, but I gather I can still revive it by buying the certificate. Another point, is that I've been told that I don't need the rating for a motor home, although some have said that I do.

I posted this because as others have said, do you have a UK licence, and is there the possibility that the vehicle could be registered as a motorhome in the UK?
If it's over 3.5 ton gvw you need the c1 never mind that it's classed as a motorhome, although when it comes to mot and such, being classed as a motorhome does make a difference.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

150 pounds,,ridiculous..Look on line,,40 pounds max..BUSBY.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Over three year period we stayed on 3 sites near Ipswich, two had 11 month licences the other 28 days, we stayed 1.5 years on that one.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
unfortunately I can't qualify for the HGV licence required to drive a 7.5t vehicle for quite some time.

Makes little sense and only two reasons I can think of for that.

Your well below 18 years old
You're disqualified from driving.

1st reason, you won't get insurance anywhere
2nd reason, you won't afford insurance.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Makes little sense and only two reasons I can think of for that.

Your well below 18 years old
You're disqualified from driving.

1st reason, you won't get insurance anywhere
2nd reason, you won't afford insurance.

Or perhaps a health issue... Or financial issue? ?

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
There are plenty of site that allow "seasonal" campers....
I've just left one that charges £30pw + metered leccy....
Although I was paying £60pw as an intermediate.. ( was there for 7 weeks whilst doing a kitchen refurb for a friend).
My leccy bill was £12 .45 ....

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
First, a couple of questions for grumblebee
Why did you buy a 7.5 ton vehicle if you can’t drive it and where are you keeping it till April?
Can’t you live in it there?

Wild Bramblee, you lose your C1 entitlement at 70 unless you ask to keep it.
And you can’t drive a motorhome or any other vehicle on the road over 3.5 tonnes without a C1 category on your licence

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back