performing rights society (1 Viewer)

atadloopy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2007
nottingham
Funster No
Exp
30+ years
hi, anyone else been hassled by these people? it seems you need a license to play music away from home if there are more than one of you present! they have been targeting all kinds of firms countrywide.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Would need to know more details to comment further eg Where are you playing music and is it in a business premises etc. are you a dj or do karaoke for payment etc?

Its all I think to do with royalties and music rights. Try the consumer action group they may be able to help you.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Yeah this has been going on for ages now.
Geo on here had the same problem in his garage because his customers could hear his radio. I have a friend who drives a coach & he told me he's not allowed the radio on incase the passengers hear it.

Big Brothers Watching :Eeek::Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
hi, anyone else been hassled by these people? it seems you need a license to play music away from home if there are more than one of you present! they have been targeting all kinds of firms countrywide.

Nothing new about this, it's been happening for years. There are full details on the Link Removed web site.

It isn't strictly accurate to say you need a licence "away from home". The requirement for a licence is if you play music outside the home - which means in public as part of a business. For private individuals there are only four sets of circumstances in which a licence is required - see Link Removed.

You do not need a licence just because somebody might hear music you are playing (for instance) in your house/van (e.g. through an open window) or in your garden. Neither do you need a licence if you are playing music at a private party in your home (which isn't "in public").

Graham

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
The were a nuisance to us when I was a boy nearly 50 yeses ago:Doh::cry:

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
I have just had to buy 6 weeks ago for the workshop, got a call only this week to tell me I needed a licence. I kept asking them why, I when they said because I play music. I told them I dont need to buy a licence. I refused to tell them I already had one. It took 5 mins before they found out I had one. Ineficiency at itls best

lady jann

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
welsh border
Funster No
MH
hymer
Exp
approx 10 yrs
we too have been involved with this over many years ,i am not against it in principle provided the proceeds get back to the artists as should be the case ,unfortunately it is possable that the largest proportion is going to the beaurocrats and red tape rules and reglation departments etc who love dictateing :Sad:to us ..!!!!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
we too have been involved with this over many years ,i am not against it in principle provided the proceeds get back to the artists as should be the case ,unfortunately it is possable that the largest proportion is going to the beaurocrats and red tape rules and reglation departments etc who love dictateing :Sad:to us ..!!!!

Dunno about that. As MCPS-PRS is a private organisation owned by its members (i.e. the artists) I expect they will keep admin to a minimum to avoid alienating the members.

Graham

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
The Builders accross the road should be paying Performing Rights, Van radio on full blast and working 10 to 15 yards away, thats from 7.30 am to 5 pm. Thank God its Raining and they have gone home.
Peace at last:ROFLMAO:

Esmeralda

Free Member
May 23, 2008
Funster No
In Oxford, they bankrupted the landlord at a pub, forcing the closure of a music venue and therefore taking work opportunities away from their own members

The music was all original, but they deemed that as far as they were concerned they were going to charge for copying other artists material, so the true writers of the material receive nothing, only a few celebrity fatcats

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Hi

I told them I dont need to buy a licence. I refused to tell them I already had one

reminds me of the time I had a 25yr oldish, blonde, blue eyed "I rule the world" govn health and safety bird call on us for a check.

She could not get a straight answer out of me as to when the heating boiler was last serviced. Eventually she thought to ask how long ago it had been fitted, three days ago I answered :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

At the end of the visit she said they would not see me for another five years - bit unfriendly I thought, I said the kettle would always be on for them :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

stew

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
"so the true writers of the material receive nothing, only a few celebrity fatcats"

Absolutely

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
One little warning is if you sign up for PRS you will also get a letter from PPL who will also want you to pay up for playing a record, disc or tape which the general public can listen to while at your business. Also if you have SKY on your TV in your work premises for others to see such as a Football match then they want an additional licence fee. When I had a pub they rang me anonimously and asked if I had SKY football on in the pub a certain night. Fortunately I had been forewarned and said "No".

David

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi

I told them I dont need to buy a licence. I refused to tell them I already had one

reminds me of the time I had a 25yr oldish, blonde, blue eyed "I rule the world" govn health and safety bird call on us for a check.

She could not get a straight answer out of me as to when the heating boiler was last serviced. Eventually she thought to ask how long ago it had been fitted, three days ago I answered :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

At the end of the visit she said they would not see me for another five years - bit unfriendly I thought, I said the kettle would always be on for them :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

stew

I would have loved to have been there for that one:roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back