Penrith to Haydon Bridge. (1 Viewer)

David G

Free Member
Apr 23, 2018
Funster No
Anyone got any comments , views , tips on driving this road in 20 ft 6 inch Motorhome, A686 Penrith to Haydon Bridge.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Quite a nice run. Not a lot of HGV's use it as a through road. We have done it in a 7.4m MH in the past but it is not much use if you are the kind of driver who likes looking at the Scenery!!
Try and avoid a weekend, esp. Sunday as it is a motorcycle "must do run !!" at weekends. There are a few blind corners and hairpins and a narrow bridge on a bend.
There is a cafe at the top of Hartside Pass with some of the best home baked cakes we've had.
I have a feeling there may be some dashcam footage on you tube if you search Hartside pass.
The Penrith- Alston section is the hilliest with some tight bends and the other half to HB runs through a lovely valley with a few blind corners.
ENJOY !!

Edit.. Just checked YouTube and there are loads of videos on there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
David G

David G

Free Member
Apr 23, 2018
Funster No
Anyone got any comments , views , tips on driving this road in 20 ft 6 inch Motorhome, A686 Penrith to Haydon Bridge.
Cheers. Thankyou.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Unfortunately Hartside Cafe burnt down a few months back. I find it a better journey going Haydon Bridge to Penrith, when you reach Hartside the view over Cumbria is stunning.
Wrights Coach company run a daily service over that road in the summer and no problems for longer vehicles.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted User
Melmerby is a good place to stop for coffee & scones and I prefer the village store rather than the much publicised Melmerby cafe.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back