Penalty points call for non-seatbelt wearers (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Just found this article on a Workplace Law website

Twenty-five years after it became compulsory to wear seatbelts, a third of car occupants receiving fatal injuries in a road crash are still being found to have not been wearing seatbelts.

Van drivers have been found to be the worst offenders. Only 69% of van drivers put on their seatbelts before driving away and just 58% of their passengers belt up.

The means some 370 people a year are being killed in road crashes because they have not bothered to clunk click, says the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (ROSPA).

Also, according to Department for Transport (DfT) research, while nine out of 10 people agree it is dangerous to travel in the back of a car without a seatbelt, only seven in 10 adults actually wear belts when sitting in the back.
Now ROSPA is calling for drivers and passengers who fail to wear their belts to receive three penalty points. At present, those convicted in court of a seatbelt offence face a maximum fine of £500. If a Fixed Penalty Notice is offered and accepted, then the fine is £30. However, failing to wear a seatbelt is not currently a penalty point offence.

"It is shocking that a stubborn minority of people still do not belt up when they get into a vehicle,” said Kevin Clinton, Head of Road Safety at ROSPA. "It may be that some people simply forget to wear their belts and need to be encouraged to get into the habit. Others may not feel they are necessary or that it is not 'cool' to wear one. Perhaps it is time to consider giving drivers three penalty points when they fail to wear their belts."

The DfT said it was not yet considering making the non wearing of a seatbelt a penalty point offence, although the road safety minister, Jim Fitzpatrick said: "Government campaigns have helped increase the numbers of people wearing seatbelts to more than 90% for drivers and front seat passengers but too many back seat passengers are still not belting up.”

The minister also confirmed that his department is undertaking yet more research into the use of and attitudes towards seatbelts and will use the findings to create new a seatbelt campaign, which it will launch towards the end of 2008.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Don't you just love statistics
1/3 of fatalities were not wearing seat belts
therfore 2/3 were:Eeek: still want to belt up:ROFLMAO:
Geo
10% of fatal accidents were caused by drunken drivers
Therefore 90% were caused by sober drivers
Statisicly you are safer getting sloshed and driving without your belt:Doh:
Geo

artc

Free Member
Dec 13, 2007
Funster No
seatbelts

What i want to know is how many were killed wearing seat belts, if it was more, then it must be safer not wearing seat belts????

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:RollEyes: I think a more deserving offence for Penalty points if not banning for 12 years would be:-

Middle Laners.
Outside Laners.

IMH&HO. :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
We totally agree - especially middle lane drivers who cause so many problems for us. Making it legal to overtake these idiots in the n/s lane will help!

Bob & Di

2escapees

Deleted User
Having been involved in a motorway crash a few years back as result of some tired van driving breaking too late and smashing into my rear end I agree totally with seat belts and those who don't wear them should be punished. Points seem OK to me. Still I still have a clean licence after 43 years!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back