Aug 30, 2016
Trefonen
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbi
Hi everyone,
We're off to the Peloponnese in the next few days. Basic plan being an anticlockwise route following the coast, inland to Mystras, Olympia and back to Patras for the ferry.

Would anyone have any recommendations. Must see places, must avoid places?

Thanks

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Hi Russ
Glenn and I have spent quite a lot of time in the Peloponnese so we know and love lots of places. But we haven't done it in a MH. Olympia is a must. The drive from Kalamata to Mystras is stunning but the road is narrow in parts and has a low overhanging rock in one place. If you have a big van try and get a bit of advice from someone who's done it.
I would add Ancient Messini if you like archaeological sites. Arguably the best one we've been to.
Caves of Diros, you go in in boats.
Nice towns, Kardymili,
Agios Nicholas call into Gregs cafe and say hello to Freda who is a font of knowledge for all expats. Also recommend Ellies taverna and you can overnight in the carpark there.
Gytheio,(lovely harbour)
Koroni (castle) I think there may be parking at Finikounda which is nearby
Stoupa go to Melissas taverna. There is a campsite there but I don't know what its like.
Polylimonos waterfalls and pools.

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
We'd agree that Ancient Messini is the most magical ancient site we visited...just amazing and I'm not really into old stones.

Mystras is also wonderful....Castle View campsite not far away ...a bit idiosyncratic!

The other fantastic less visited place is Kalavrita in the N.Peloponnese...reached by the Odontotus rack railway...there is a museum there dedicated to the local people massacred by the occupying force during WW2. Very moving and a stunning railway journey to get there.

http://www.odontotos.com/index-en.htm

Those would be our top three...have fun!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 25, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2006
It's fantastic at this time of year, great people and the scenery is fantastic (if you overlook the fly tipping).
Be prepared to be stumped by the place names when navigating because their obviously not in English and beware diversions, as the local councils take the opportunity at the end of the season to repair the roads and the diversion signs often last for only a couple of k and then your on your own. 1st time we were there (without satnav) we spent a whole day lost in the mountains. When we got back to the same site we left in the morning, the owner gave us some very good advise. If the roads closed, always turn towards the sea, not inland. He then gave us a bottle of Retsina for our troubles! The people are so friendly. Have a great time.

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Hi Russ. I've just realised you wont be so far from Kastanea. Its their chestnut festival on Saturday. It starts at 10am and will go on late into the night. There will be free chestnuts. Music dancing, hog roast beer and wine. Its an opportunity to see real Greek village life. Everyone is welcome at these festivals.
http://www.messinianmani.gr/information/the-villages/item/207-kastania2

OP
OP
R

Russ Humphreys

Free Member
Aug 30, 2016
Trefonen
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbi
Thanks again. I just put that into the sat nav (navigator) and it says 6hrs driving. It's always hugely optimistic despite me trying to tweak the parameters. So it maybe a little iffy trying to get there, we're getting the ferry tomorrow am.

It's just the sort of thing we'd love though, so who knows we'll see where we end up tomorrow pm.
Russ

OP
OP
R

Russ Humphreys

Free Member
Aug 30, 2016
Trefonen
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbi
Excellent, thanks again.
As you may have gathered this is our first campervan trip (well apart from 4 days in Devon to figure out if everything worked) so we're definitely making this up as we go along. So it's good to read about others, especially the wild camping (we're shredding pounds in weight and money) we've wild camped in Morocco and New Zealand but tbh I really didn't fancy it in Italy. We stopped at Aires in France, some OK some, well not.

I've started a Facebook page if anyone is interested. It's been a retrospective lash up until now but I'll try to make it more informative from now on. There's 2, an abortive attempt which is upto Corfu and then one from corfu which is more real time

https://www.facebook.com/The-White-Van-Plan-846532632149020/

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Russ Humphreys

Free Member
Aug 30, 2016
Trefonen
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbi
And we're off:)
IMG_20161014_103935.jpg

OP
OP
R

Russ Humphreys

Free Member
Aug 30, 2016
Trefonen
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbi
A bit of a late start, 11:30 ferry. We'll try to get as far south as possible today, hopefully onto the Peloponnese.

OP
OP
R

Russ Humphreys

Free Member
Aug 30, 2016
Trefonen
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbi
View from our bedroom last night :)

Stayed at 38.15615 21.36778

Big car park next to a nice beach and taverna. Loads of mosi's though:-(
IMG_20161014_185025.jpg

OP
OP
R

Russ Humphreys

Free Member
Aug 30, 2016
Trefonen
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbi
Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Russ Humphreys

Free Member
Aug 30, 2016
Trefonen
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbi
Well considering that we fell on this area more or less by accident it’s absolutely brilliant. In fact we’ve not moved from Navarino bay for over a week. We will move on on Friday as we’re well aware that we are running out of time in a weather context. We do want to see more of the Peloponnese. If you’ve not been I’d really recommend it. Very easy to get around, unspoilt but enough tourist infrastructure to keep most people happy I’d say.

I had tried to keep a sort of blog going on Facebook but I really don’t get on with Facebook so I’ve created this. Not too professional and some done retrospectively. But it maybe of interest .
http://sprinter4x4.blogspot.com

Thanks again to everyone who helped make this a wonderful trip, well it's not finished yet of course:)

OP
OP
R

Russ Humphreys

Free Member
Aug 30, 2016
Trefonen
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbi
We have just arrived @Russ Humphreys on Peloponnes and we are on the thumb bit. Last night, we stayed on a tiny beach at Epidavros very pretty. Thanks for the tips x
We are in Meteora, wow!!
Only problem being is getting over the fear of heights to actually cross a bridge into one of the monasteries :)

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Mycenae is a must, almost a 1000 yrs older that the ancient Greek cities mentioned. A totally different civilisation!

I did Kalamata to Mystras road in a 6 tonne, 8mtr long 2.4mtr high van made it. Spectacular drive but I needed a stiff whiskey that nIght. Naphlio (counted 7 different spellings, Google the naples of romania) is an interesting city with free parking on the harbour, wild camp amongst the truckers.

Dick

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We are in Meteora, wow!!
Only problem being is getting over the fear of heights to actually cross a bridge into one of the monasteries :)
Was there last sept,,,very interesting,,you just wonder how they climbed and built those structures all those years ago,,fantastic,,BUSBY,,

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Am loving this . We have visited for 2 winters but several years ago and have often thought of going back but wondered if the ambiance had changed since the financial crisis . Our favorite on the south coast was Pylos . Had many a coffee in the square and my hubby had a crown done by the lady dentist there !

OP
OP
R

Russ Humphreys

Free Member
Aug 30, 2016
Trefonen
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbi
Am loving this . We have visited for 2 winters but several years ago and have often thought of going back but wondered if the ambiance had changed since the financial crisis . Our favorite on the south coast was Pylos . Had many a coffee in the square and my hubby had a crown done by the lady dentist there !
We stopped for 12 days on Navarino bay so visited pylos quite a few times. It's as we remember the Greek islands from many years ago. Just great.

We'll stay in Meteora for another day then head for lake ochid Albania/Macedonia border.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
We stopped for 12 days on Navarino bay so visited pylos quite a few times. It's as we remember the Greek islands from many years ago. Just great.

We'll stay in Meteora for another day then head for lake ochid Albania/Macedonia border.
Do you stay at the site in Navarino Bay ? It was closed when we were there last. We stayed at Finakounta at Camping Thines , Despina was so kind . Also they were just starting a huge hotel and golf complex behind Naverino and wondered if it ever got finished ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back