Free Member
Aug 30, 2016
Trefonen
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbi
Do you stay at the site in Navarino Bay ? It was closed when we were there last. We stayed at Finakounta at Camping Thines , Despina was so kind . Also they were just starting a huge hotel and golf complex behind Naverino and wondered if it ever got finished ?
Yes it's there. Apparently they paid for the new road, shame but you don't notice tbh. We stayed on camping navarino. If you want one of the front pitches at peak time you need to book 18months in advance. I can sort of see why and I'm sure it would be pretty "clicky" but out of season we loved it. It's shut now.

OP
OP
R

Russ Humphreys

Free Member
Aug 30, 2016
Trefonen
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbi
Plenty of opportunities to free camp around navarino.
Pylos harbour or west of givolas.
If you look at the photos in my blogg you will see the horse shoe bay (simply stunning) you can free camp next to that as well

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Yes it's there. Apparently they paid for the new road, shame but you don't notice tbh. We stayed on camping navarino. If you want one of the front pitches at peak time you need to book 18months in advance. I can sort of see why and I'm sure it would be pretty "clicky" but out of season we loved it. It's shut now.
First winter we were there it was open but 4 German vans on site . What seemed to be the caretaker German said wouldn't stay here you would be better at Finikouda ! Obviously didn't want anyone else on site . When I got home in Spring I e mailed owner to let him know why winter business was so poor ! The following year it wAs closed for winter so Mr German didn't get his cheap winter site for him and his mates. The Greeks are so kind they didn't deserve that . People were being moved in Pylos in the winter when we were there .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R

Russ Humphreys

Free Member
Aug 30, 2016
Trefonen
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbi
Every day we
First winter we were there it was open but 4 German vans on site . What seemed to be the caretaker German said wouldn't stay here you would be better at Finikouda ! Obviously didn't want anyone else on site . When I got home in Spring I e mailed owner to let him know why winter business was so poor ! The following year it wAs closed for winter so Mr German didn't get his cheap winter site for him and his mates. The Greeks are so kind they didn't deserve that . People were being moved in Pylos in the winter when we were there .
Every day were in Plyos there were 3 or 4 campers on the harbour so I guess they are ok with it now.
Re. Navarino camping. We were in a minority of 1 so I could recognize your comments.
We're very new to this camper lark. We've met some wonderful, intelligent, entertaining, happy people. At the other end of the spectrum we've come across some of the most pig ignorant, arrogant miserable individuals I've ever come across!
Thankfully in the minority and they can go and do one, they are of zero consequence :)

OP
OP
R

Russ Humphreys

Free Member
Aug 30, 2016
Trefonen
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbi
Not the Peloponnese or Greece anymore, we're now in Macedonia. So waaay off topic but anyway you can follow us here:

Made it to Macedonia for lunch, well a late lunch. Not bad going considering a good portion was off road :)

Someone said the roads were bad in Albania but jeez. Maybe tomtom leading us astray :) the locals gave us some weird looks for sure!

I'm using a Samsung tabS2 with navigator and osmand for navigation. They've been
OK.
Navigator has Tomtom maps and this was the app that sent us off pieste. It was a bit uncomfortable even in the Sprinter. I certainly wouldn't have driven them in a MH, it would have shaken it to bits. Dirt tracks with craters basically.

Maybe I'll splash out on a new Garmin sat nav for normal road use.

I was a little concerned when the road basically disappeared 60km from our destination!

Stopped by Albanian police 3 times within 3hrs, first was because I hadn't put my headlights on, after a bit of confusion he just reached through the door and turned them on for me. Doh! Anyway he didn't do the "let's earn a few euro of the dumb tourists" So happy days��

Downside is that it's cost us 100euro for insurance in Albania and Macedonia, our green card doesn't cover us here.

Upside.

Beer less than a Euro.

Local wine tastes like £30 a bottle quality at home (not that I'd know really). We even Google the winery as we thought a trip there would be fun. It's 3hrs North East of us though so maybe not.

Steak and chips less than £4.

Oh and we're next to yet another UNESCO world heritage site, they're as common as muck :)
Ohrid. We're off there tomorrow.

Staying at Camping Rino, just wonderful. Free coffee and raki as soon as we arrived. Beautiful setting.
https://campingrino.com/

A few photos of the trip here, rubbish quality as the camera was on some weird setting

http://sprinter4x4.blogspot.com

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
If you go across to Albania, don't try to approach the old regional Ottoman capital of Berat (very interesting) from the south. The road is shown as a main route on the Phillips European Atlas and TomTom directed us that way. It may have been a major highway in Roman times but certainly isn't now. We had to turn back when it became totally impassable. Had been off tarmac for 10 clicks by then.

Main Adriatic in highway N/S in Albania however is excellent (probably EU money) and the road to Berat from the north not too bad.

Dict

OP
OP
R

Russ Humphreys

Free Member
Aug 30, 2016
Trefonen
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbi
There were a few booths but it came down to which one was open. There were a few along the road to the Macedonian border as well.
Albania weren't bothered if you had it or not.
Macedonian border won't let you in without insurance.
Unfortunately our insurance company excludes Albania and Macedonia.
Don't go with Adrian Flux, they're useless on a number of fronts.

OP
OP
R

Russ Humphreys

Free Member
Aug 30, 2016
Trefonen
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbi
1010732.jpg
1010731.jpg
1010722.jpg
Back into Albania today.

Some bits and bit grim, some interesting.

Arrived at a campsite run by a great couple, it's only been open a year or so but they are doing a really professional job

http://www.campinglegjenda.com/index.php

Updated the blogg with some new photos

http://sprinter4x4.blogspot.com

A couple of photos from today.
The railway bridge photo is there because they looked so, well Soviet

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread