Pelion peninsula (1 Viewer)

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Five weeks into our Greek mainland tour. Plenty of highlights but no need to bang on about them as most people will be aware of the key places. However, I do feel moved to press the case for the Pelion peninsula. Volos is nothing to write home about but Platanidia beachfront down the road is a good overnight. Visiting Makrinitsa by the wrong road left me unable to speak for a while but navigate the twisty roads to Zagora, and over night at Horefto, then head down the east coast to some of the tiny coves, then on to Ayia Kyriaki and you will discover peak Greece. When you get there, eat local caught fish on the harbour side and look up at a sky full of stars. We ate at this place. Lovely young bloke and his mum does all the cooking.

Attachments

• 1558729345065933974562442591603.jpg
    1558729345065933974562442591603.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 55
OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Ayia Kyriaki....and there's even water available. 5 minute stroll.into village for bars and fish restaurants and a fish guy (Morocco style) stopped by this morning to flog us this ultra fresh fish. Restaurant guy last night told us to ignore the no camping sign.
IMG_20190525_180840916.jpg
IMG_20190524_200302312_HDR.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• IMG_20190525_180828224.jpg
    IMG_20190525_180828224.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 15

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks for this - but I did have to look up where it was. We haven't been to Greece yet but it is on the radar and it is useful to be reminded there is more to it than the Peloponnese. :)

Screenshot_20190525-194435.png

OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Mrs tony_g has instructed me to add that some of the roads are not for the faint hearted. I really don't know what she means! The view from a RHD passenger seat is clearly faulty!

OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
There is certainly more to mainland Greece than the Peloponnese but that is a great start, arriving at Patra. Masses to do and see
Greek driving certainly required a crash course in eccentricity. Speed limits ignored, even when speed cameras are about (perhaps austerity means they have been turned off). Wouldn't want to take a chance on roads where 50/60/90 limits are constantly cycling around plus 40/30 in places. You need to drive with two wheels across the n/s white line, as far as possible, to allow following traffic to barrel through across the double white lines. Greeks treat two lane standard 'A' roads as 4 lanes. Then there's the narrow village pinch points. Narrow roads with random vehicles either side to slalom through. And then there's the side roads up to villages and down to beaches with no clue as to passing places, turning points or terminal parking! 'Do you feel lucky punk'?

OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
The Nakas Road series of 1:200,000 maps are invaluable and cheaper to buy here than in UK. Plus Funster @pjay is a Greece expert (oracle?). His Google map overnights database is great. The Our Tour blog (Jason and Julie) is great for inspiration and odd spots. So far touring Greece we have genuinely found that it is possible to roll up and stop over night and nobody bats an eyelid. Water fairly easy, cassette emptying less so. Creativity required! If you want to visit Athens then Campercontact Parkopolis in Piraeus. Marie will sort you out! Piraeus and Marie are an object lesson into why austerity policies best suit the fat cats rather than.ordinary folk. Chat to Marie. :D This only scratches the surface. Greece is a multi trip destination imo.

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
Thanks Tony, sounds likeyoure having a good one. Only a few spots listed on my map for the Pellion, be great if you could populate it with a few more. Horefto is on there but unverified, perhaps you could 'verify' it if its the same one.
Parkopolis is on the map, a review of that would be great too. Photos of any would be the icing on the cake :)
Emailme if you prefer by the link on the map.

Efkharisto!

Pete

SOOZANDIAN

Free Member
Jun 7, 2015
ABERDEEN
Funster No
MH
Rimmer Ahorn
Exp
Since 2013
Great to hear about the Pelion Peninsula Tony. We are currently at Nafplio & will be heading to Athens (with some interpretations), but definitely going to use the Parkopolis at Piraeus. Thanks for the Pelion info it will certainly be useful.
Enjoy the rest of your trip.
Sooz has

OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Great to hear about the Pelion Peninsula Tony. We are currently at Nafplio & will be heading to Athens (with some interpretations), but definitely going to use the Parkopolis at Piraeus. Thanks for the Pelion info it will certainly be useful.
Sooz has
Are you on the harbour side by the old train at Nafplio?. It's definitely worth a side trip up the Langada Pass to Mystras. The road is spectacular. Sparta is a bit nothing imo but you can get back to Nafplio from there on the motorway rather than back down the Pass if you prefer.

OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Thanks Tony, sounds likeyoure having a good one. Only a few spots listed on my map for the Pellion, be great if you could populate it with a few more. Horefto is on there but unverified, perhaps you could 'verify' it if its the same one.
Parkopolis is on the map, a review of that would be great too. Photos of any would be the icing on the cake :)
Emailme if you prefer by the link on the map.

Efkharisto!

Pete
Hi Pete, I will certainly fill in some details asap but not a lot to add. We have been taking tips from Park4Night and Jason and Julie's Our Tour. Will pm details when I can.

SOOZANDIAN

Free Member
Jun 7, 2015
ABERDEEN
Funster No
MH
Rimmer Ahorn
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Tony
Yes on the harbour side. We have travelled anti clockwise & have come over the Langada Pass & thoroughly enjoyed it (I’m the passenger so Ian had all the hard work to do), ticked off Mystras as well.
We’re planning to go to Karathona beach for a couple of days as weather is rather hot & sunny .
Ultimately heading north to Athens then continuing north to Delphi, Pelion & Thessaloniki- phew!
Our first time to Greece & so happy we made the long trip as we love it.
Invaluable information from fellow funsters

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
Be careful with Karathona beach soozandian, we got moved on by the police a few years back with the warning of a fine if we returned, have heard Similar reports from others too.

Pete

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
Just to add, if you come down the hill to the beach and see loads of (probably German) vans parked there then you'll be ok, if its deserted then they have probably had a recent crackdown.
While you're in the area have a drive up to the little harbour, (coords 37.53576 22.81811 ) you can park there and look for the little blue sign for Agios Nicholios and follow the footpath along the cliffs to a little church nestled on the cliff, I think you'll be impressed. You can also overnight in the car park (we asked at the house there) with a nice view overlooking the bay, its on a bit of a slope though.
Its on my map as 'Karathona harbour'.

Pete

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
The Pelion is fantastic. We will be arriving in Kato Gatzea on Saturday having spent the last 7 weeks in Crete. Slowly making our way home unfortunately.

SOOZANDIAN

Free Member
Jun 7, 2015
ABERDEEN
Funster No
MH
Rimmer Ahorn
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Pete
Have been using your map! Invaluable! Met a funster from Stroud a few weeks ago & she passed it on. Thank you.
We took our scooter down to the beach this morning & spoke to some Brits who confirmed your story re-Police as they have been warned not to stay another night & been issued an ultimatum with a €300 fine. To be fair they said that they had there table & chairs out. Will certainly go there during the day.

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
Thanks for the update. Theres another nice spot with a good beach a few kms east at Kondili beach if you're heading that way at 37.52908 22.93755 or you can stay in the public car park at Vivari just before Kondili at 37.53515 22.91613, nothing special parking wise but loads of lovely little tavernas there.
Don't forget to visit that little church before you leave Karathona though. :)

Pete

OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Hi Tony
Yes on the harbour side. We have travelled anti clockwise & have come over the Langada Pass & thoroughly enjoyed it (I’m the passenger so Ian had all the hard work to do), ticked off Mystras as well.
We’re planning to go to Karathona beach for a couple of days as weather is rather hot & sunny .
Ultimately heading north to Athens then continuing north to Delphi, Pelion & Thessaloniki- phew!
Our first time to Greece & so happy we made the long trip as we love it.
Invaluable information from fellow funsters
We're at Vergina at the moment. Went to the tombs today. Heading over to Halkidiki via Edessa and Pella tomorrow.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back