Pedestrian crossings in France. (1 Viewer)

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Can someone explain when you have to give way to pedestrians when you can cross safely as a pedestrian and what all the different types are please. Nearly ran over today as I thought I had right of way as the green man was on. Got bibbed earlier giving way to someone who wanted to cross then a stearnful look as I sailed passed another. Very confusingo_O

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
You are talking about France mate, no one knows but the gendarmes will when they want to give you a ticket:(
Years ago when we went on coach tours to France the courier would always stress crossings are only an indication of where it should be safe to cross, but never ever take it that traffic will stop for you.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
As a driver you should stop as soon as a pedestrian's foot is on the road , no matter the circumstances, unless there are traffic lights.

As a pedestrian , if there is a pedestrian cross not far from where you stand, then you're not allowed to cross where you stand if it's less than 100 metres away, you have to go to the pedestrian cross. You are not allowed to cross when the traffic lights shows red for you.

That said .... just BE CAREFUL! Half of the population know nothing about the law!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
All changed about 5 years ago now you must stop if a pedestrian indicates they want to cross at a crossing. Also if a pedestrian is more than 50m from a crossing and they indicate they want to cross the road you must stop for them.

A far cry from the days when drivers honked at you for being in their way when you were on the crossing.

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
I think with so many nationalities driving in France , as a pedestrian you need to take care, the same applies to so many different nationalities as pedestrians!

Today we got angry looks at a crossing only to then realise is was controlled and we were crossing on red ! A quick wave and acknowledgement of our error gave rise to a smile from the driver

Rutland Rover

Free Member
May 20, 2017
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I am a newbie
A good few years ago a friend and I were both hit by a car whilst we were on a crossing. We didn't realise the rules.At the time, we were 25% to blame and the driver 75%. I was in St Tropez hospital for 3 weeks, my friend was there even longer, she had to be flown home. My then fiance....now ex...flew out and we bought the camper home.
Funnily enough it's the anniversary of it on Friday.

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
A good few years ago a friend and I were both hit by a car whilst we were on a crossing. We didn't realise the rules.At the time, we were 25% to blame and the driver 75%. I was in St Tropez hospital for 3 weeks, my friend was there even longer, she had to be flown home. My then fiance....now ex...flew out and we bought the camper home.
Funnily enough it's the anniversary of it on Friday.
Seems odd to give a "like it" but it reminded me of a time I got run over in Gibraltar. It was the first ever time ashore in the Navy and I got hit on a crossing. I went to hospital for a check up, then to the police for a report as it was a hit and run. I carried on drinking after and returned back on board. Word had got back to the ship and eventually when I hobbled back at 02:30 in the morning the officer of the day said what time were you hit, I says twelve o'clock. why did it take 2 1/2 hours to get back he says. I said it didn't it was 14 1/2 hours as it happened at midday. Alcohol dulls the pain you know. :cautious::D2

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
more than 50m from a crossing

You are right on this one! I must have been dreaming away while typing ! Deffo 50 metres! ....And I have known that for ages...holidays switch off everything PAH !

Oh and while I'm at it..... please correct my mistakes and read pedestrian crossING!
Thanks for correcting me ...you know who you are!!

Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
I was confused last time we were away.

I waited at the crossing for the green man and then started to cross but realised that traffic turning left towards me were still coming I ended up in the middle of the road in front of the halted right side traffic on my left and cars crossing in front of me from my right!!

Couldn't work it out!

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
@Stacetop They probably saw your hesitation , hence they never let you cross !!! But they should have stopped !!!! So if It happens again, shout loud (wohooo should do) showing the sign being green for you. Don t let them go away with It. You can also pretend you have a bad hip, that will calm them down!

Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Thanks it was very confusing!! In England a green light normally means no traffic will
Cross the crossing!!

Rutland Rover

Free Member
May 20, 2017
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I am a newbie

Certainly was painful...we had only been there about an hour! But we were young and not too bothered by it..
Which is more than can be said for both sets of parents at home.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back