Peage traps (1 Viewer)

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Last year and this year I had been made aware that when paying at a Peage toll, I should not move until the passenger has strapped themselves in. On three separate occasions now I have seen with my own eyes the Police watching vans with binoculars from ahead on the right. Following an earlier warning about fastening the belt before moving, I am grateful to whoever first posted the thread.
As it can take a few moments to get settled in and with pressure from following vehicles, it was not always the first thing on my mind until now.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Another reason for using a tag!

Agree with that but also a decent reason to stay off unless you really need to

Another thing about the Gendarmes they patrol the Autoroutes a lot on Motorcycles in threes - black leathers, no hi vis, Dark blue helmets. I've seen them with one hiding under a bridge laid on his seat facing the rear with a speed camera and his two companions are a couple of kilometres away waiting for his radio call

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Last year and this year I had been made aware that when paying at a Peage toll, I should not move until the passenger has strapped themselves in. On three separate occasions now I have seen with my own eyes the Police watching vans with binoculars from ahead on the right. Following an earlier warning about fastening the belt before moving, I am grateful to whoever first posted the thread.
As it can take a few moments to get settled in and with pressure from following vehicles, it was not always the first thing on my mind until now.
How can you be sure they're checking for seat belts ? There are much more serious crimes to look for.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Once again British criminals complaining about the possibility of being caught. But don't stay away we need your fines.

Surprised that no-one has mentioned "Stop" meaning "Stop" even though written in English.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Once again British criminals complaining about the possibility of being caught. But don't stay away we need your fines.

Surprised that no-one has mentioned "Stop" meaning "Stop" even though written in English.

Please identify the “British criminals “ you refer to.

A complaint about policing methods is not a tacit admission of criminality.

It is just an expression of being pissed off with methods of detection.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
With all the paraphernalia that the navigator has to put down when we get to a peage I'm guilty of moving off before she is belted back in - so another thanks for the heads up.

But we do tend to stay away from tolls.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Break the law, pay the price.

I do however have a foolproof way of ensuring you never receive a fine this way....

Put your seatbelt on before moving off and they can’t fine you, it works in the UK too!

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
I haven't seen any evidence yet that the observations were being kept purely to detect British motorhomers momentarily not wearing a seat belt. Plenty of other reasons for checking at peages, such as criminal or terrorist activity, surely? It's a lot easier to see who's travelling when the vehicle is stationary. That's how policing works.

Has anyone 1st-hand experience of getting a ticket for this? There must have been many, many thousands of peage transits by readers on this forum - so I expect to see at least a few dozen admissions.... :whistle2:

If you think the gendarmerie set themselves up purely to pick off Brits, then that's just reinforcing my view that too many Brits have developed a whinging, chip-on-the-shoulder, 'why pick on me?' attitude to anything European:(

For God's sake, have a word with yourselves!

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
It's their country and their train set. We should o our best to respect their rules, if you get caught out, pay the fine. Doesn't make it any easier I know. I spend a lot of time in France, and generally find the French reasonable, polite and respectful. But very French. It's different, that's why we go there.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
It's their country and their train set. We should o our best to respect their rules, if you get caught out, pay the fine. Doesn't make it any easier I know. I spend a lot of time in France, and generally find the French reasonable, polite and respectful. But very French. It's different, that's why we go there.
Stop, stop right there. We won't have common sense on here. Oh no. Stop it.

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
I mean creepy French cops spying into cabs as per the OP.

It’s pathetic in my view, but clearly not in yours.

TV program on local news here a few weeks ago showed UK police in an HGV picking up other folks using phones, no seat belts, etc. Regular business for them. Is that also classed as "creepy British cops spying into cabs" ? :)

Mick

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
isn't this a case of the difference between illegal and unlawful? one implies a crime has been committed and the other not

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
thinking further on this subject, the police using covert surveillance without express notice may well be breaking the law by infringing the human rights of the people being watched with binoculars

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
thinking further on this subject, the police using covert surveillance without express notice may well be breaking the law by infringing the human rights of the people being watched with binoculars
My (ahem) friend likes to watch the beach most days to see if them topless girls are doing anything naughty :)

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002

Ah, but what has been described is overt surveillance - covert means the watcher is trying to make sure they are not seen. Using your reasoning, presumably every CCTV camera overlooking a public space in the UK is infringing human rights? :smiley:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back