PCR Test when returning to UK from Spain (1 Viewer)

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I picked this up which the lady who wrote it gave permission for it to be posted.
It does give an insight into what’s happening currently in view of what’s required for the test and availability of it once travelling and the time element in organising it.

Just thought I would share our experience with getting the now manadatory PCR tests. I know some of you, like us will be affected by this. We are on our way home from Spain after being here since September selling our property in Andalucia. We now need to get back to the UK. So we used Medmesafe..I rang them up, they speak English, she took my number, didnt mind that it was a UK mobile, and then we set up a whatsapp, the young lady then sent me all I needed to know to book the tests, she was very helpful, and answered all my questions via WhatsApp. Its €119 each. She forwarded me the link. You have to set up an account on line using your email address, for each person travelling. So two accounts, one for me in my name and one for hubby in his name with his email address. You can choose where you want to have the test. We have opted for one in Santander near the port. They are only open to do tests in the morning from 8am till 11am, but due to high demand they now ask that you just go and take your turn. You get an email to this effect. They no longer give specific apt slots. Apparently in Madrid, Barcelona and Valencia they do 24 hour testing, but we didnt fancy trying to manouvre our outfit around Madrid! We plan to get their in good time to do a "recce" and leave our trailer on the campsite which is open all year. We will drive into Santander and look for somewhere to park the moho, not sure if we can park at the port(?) Any advice on this would be appreciated from anyone who has been recently and knows the area...then its a short walk to the clinic which is on the edge of town...Good luck folks!

OP
OP
Littlewheels
Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I recently went through the testing process near Torrevieja (last Friday).

Local pharmacy, 40 euro for an anti-gen test and the certification emailed within 12 hours.

A no fuss good service.
Other than if you were going back to the UK that’s 12 hours since the actual test and presumably deducted from 72 you would now have 60 hours to meet the deadline and still be in Torrevieja.
l understand it was emailed but would you set off not knowing the result.
This is just one of the issues with the scheme.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Other than if you were going back to the UK that’s 12 hours since the actual test and presumably deducted from 72 you would now have 60 hours to meet the deadline and still be in Torrevieja.
Its a problem whichever way you do it. You might have the test first then get a positive result when you're travelling which would be bad news but equally if you travel to the port then test positive isn't that just as bad in fact you could say worse because you've potentially just spread it around.

Tanya_and_Mick

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 12, 2015
Quesada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Globecar 640DK
Exp
Depends on your route back to the UK; plus, you are checked at pre-departure point; so, [1]Flying (as I did no problem), [2]Santander / Bilbo (if you time it right no problem) or [3]via France; get one in France.

I drove out via the Chunnel and was tested via the operations at the Holliday Inn Folkestone - £80 for an Anti-gen - good service and no problem.

Next week I am outbound via Portsmouth to Spain, I am being tested via Stanstead on route to ensure I have the cert' for departure and it is just valid for arrival in Santander .

Just requires a bit of thought....

Ukbandit

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 8, 2014
Barnsley, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2012
I just arrived back to the U.K. this morning. Had the Antigen test in Benidorm €40 email took 20 minutes to come through. Drove to Santander showed it there to get on the boat and showed in Portsmouth job done, no need for the expensive PCR test and the 24 hrs to get the results.

OP
OP
Littlewheels
Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Depends on your route back to the UK; plus, you are checked at pre-departure point; so, [1]Flying (as I did no problem), [2]Santander / Bilbo (if you time it right no problem) or [3]via France; get one in France.

I drove out via the Chunnel and was tested via the operations at the Holliday Inn Folkestone - £80 for an Anti-gen - good service and no problem.

Next week I am outbound via Portsmouth to Spain, I am being tested via Stanstead on route to ensure I have the cert' for departure and it is just valid for arrival in Santander .

Just requires a bit of thought....
All based on the Test result being negative and everything going well, what if you drive 1000mile from home and fail the test also w it’s a Dog that needs a Test , get to Ferry and it’s cancelled, l could go on and on it’s not so simple as a bit of thought as you can think and organise as much as you like but things go wrong around you that you have no control over.
Additionally, l will be returning to the UK at the end of March along with literally 1000’s of UK citizens to stay within the 90day limit and the system will boil over in an effort to keep up with the current requirement.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
All based on the Test result being negative and everything going well, what if you drive 1000mile from home and fail the test also w it’s a Dog that needs a Test , get to Ferry and it’s cancelled, l could go on and on it’s not so simple as a bit of thought as you can think and organise as much as you like but things go wrong around you that you have no control over.
Additionally, l will be returning to the UK at the end of March along with literally 1000’s of UK citizens to stay within the 90day limit and the system will boil over in an effort to keep up with the current requirement.
And if you hadn’t gone away in the middle of a world pandemic you wouldn’t have a problem, :banghead:

SGorham

Free Member
Jan 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
Frankia
Exp
Since 1993
I picked this up which the lady who wrote it gave permission for it to be posted.
It does give an insight into what’s happening currently in view of what’s required for the test and availability of it once travelling and the time element in organising it.

Just thought I would share our experience with getting the now manadatory PCR tests. I know some of you, like us will be affected by this. We are on our way home from Spain after being here since September selling our property in Andalucia. We now need to get back to the UK. So we used Medmesafe..I rang them up, they speak English, she took my number, didnt mind that it was a UK mobile, and then we set up a whatsapp, the young lady then sent me all I needed to know to book the tests, she was very helpful, and answered all my questions via WhatsApp. Its €119 each. She forwarded me the link. You have to set up an account on line using your email address, for each person travelling. So two accounts, one for me in my name and one for hubby in his name with his email address. You can choose where you want to have the test. We have opted for one in Santander near the port. They are only open to do tests in the morning from 8am till 11am, but due to high demand they now ask that you just go and take your turn. You get an email to this effect. They no longer give specific apt slots. Apparently in Madrid, Barcelona and Valencia they do 24 hour testing, but we didnt fancy trying to manouvre our outfit around Madrid! We plan to get their in good time to do a "recce" and leave our trailer on the campsite which is open all year. We will drive into Santander and look for somewhere to park the moho, not sure if we can park at the port(?) Any advice on this would be appreciated from anyone who has been recently and knows the area...then its a short walk to the clinic which is on the edge of town...Good luck folks!
Can you please tell me where the place was you went to get the test. Many thanks

SGorham

Free Member
Jan 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
Frankia
Exp
Since 1993

Can you tell me where you got this test done in Santander. Many thanks

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Yes,there will be a few wanting to get back before the end of March,let's hope they all have reservations for the trip back,any delays and we will be able to see what the EU authorities do for "overstayers".

Tanya_and_Mick

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 12, 2015
Quesada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Globecar 640DK
Exp
Yes i agree, all those things could go wrong; or not, - differing perspectives I guess.

Good luck on your travels...

Last edited:

SGorham

Free Member
Jan 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
Frankia
Exp
Since 1993
Google medmesafe they have branches all over Spain the website will have a map of branches.
Sorted now thank you

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Roll on the mandatory supervised quarantine period is what I say. We'll not stamp this out without maintaining our borders properly.
&you can't do that without the staff all operating under the same conditions as those in quarantine.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
. . . and an effective and efficient track, trace and isolate system.
On which the news has been silent for some time. It should be organised now because vaccination is going really well and effective t and t is going to be needed when we start being allowed out again.

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Sorted now thank you
Hi , SGorham did you find another place to get the covid test done in Santander,or are you using medmesafe? Just for more options of where to go as i am booked on ferry to uk mid march. Ta.

OP
OP
Littlewheels
Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Everyone looking at Santander but any recommendations for Bilbao that offers the COVID test along with reasonable access and parking?

Madbird

Free Member
Apr 25, 2015
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian
Exp
3 years
On which the news has been silent for some time. It should be organised now because vaccination is going really well and effective t and t is going to be needed when we start being allowed out again.
Track and trace is a very interesting concept- IMO! The cost of the 2&8 day tests is outrageous in comparison to other countries! T&T rang once to say we need to self iso, I said we were but had concerns about delivery of test - I was told questions at the end! -the guy rang off so quickly I couldn’t ask any questions! T & T rang hubby once and he also mentioned test kits - the girl said to phone company - we did and waited for an hour eventually got through -test will arrive same day as actual test - returned but still not had results now on day 5 - it will be interesting to see when we get day 8 kit and if we get results for that! Since day 3 nothing at all from T&T so perhaps all that money spent on it only covers a couple of days! 🤣

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Limousin France & Yorkshire UK
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
My day 2 result through an independent laboratory arrived on day 8!

In the meantime I'd advised 119 and they sent me a home test kit and I had a result within 24 hours of posting it. In this case the NHS (SERCO?) did good.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back